Lanos Rear Disc

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

seattlelanos

Rear disc brakes

Post by seattlelanos »

Hey,
I am in the process of putting on front Brembo brake rotors with EBC-Brakes Green Stuff pads. What I am very interested in is switching the back drum brakes to disc brakes. As this post makes me think, it is not such a hard thing to do with a lanos hatch. Can you direct me to where I can find the rear disc brake assemblies off a Lanos that would fit my 2001 Lanos Sport Hatch. Also, as soon as anyone knows where I can buy steel-braided brake hoses, please let me know. Thanks.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

In Canada, Lanos SX Sedan came with rear disc brakes. You may want to check with your local scrapyards, or even contact canadian wreckers. Here are two links that should help:

Black Gold
B&D Auto Parts

Basically you only need the rear hubs, as they bold onto the rear axle:

You can also get all the parts you need from UK, at
Vauxhall Performance Spares Center - make sure to ask for Astra Mk2 GTE rear discs. They list complete rear disc beam for ?130.

As far as the braided lines, you need to contact Demon Tweaks and specify that you need kit for Astra Mk2 GTE 16V (if you want the rear-disc kit) or Astra Mk2 GTE 8V (if you are keeping the drums)

Cheers!

**I have split this into a seperate topic**

Post by seattlelanos »

Thanks for your help! :P
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

No problem!

If u do happen to go with the swap, make some pictures along the way - this way we can add another write-up ;)

Good luck!

Post by Stefan »

If you fit the disc brake setup to your existing beam, make sure you fit the handbrake cable brackets. If you look on the above pic they are the black part with the cable coming out of it just to the left of the shock. Many people forget these parts when doing a swap, with the result that the cable gets trapped between the coils of the spring when its lowered back down! You also need to fit the correct restrictor valves too.

Stef
seattlelanos

thanks

Post by seattlelanos »

Thank you for your input. I am currently looking for the assembly and once I find it will start planning the swap. Will make pictures. Thanks again
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

You also need to fit the correct restrictor valves too.
Could you elaborate on that Stef? Being the only one here that has the hands-on experience on the all mightly and original GTE, I would appreciate that.

Are you referring to some sort of a valve controlling the hydraulic fluid pressure? What would be the possible 'Ifs' if the valve was not installed?

cheers!
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm assuming he's talking about the master cylinder's proportional valves which regulate brake pressure split between the front and rear brakes.

I remember talking to someone quite a while back on a different forum about changing over from drums to disks..... I guess the four wheel disks have a slightly different setup as far as how much pressure goes to the front vs back so you need to have the right proportional valves.

I can't remember if the ratio is less or more with the four wheel disks but he said that if you don't change the proportional valve setup your braking will sometimes actually get worse than if you had stayed with the drum/disk setup. (that is to say a four wheel disk system with the wrong proportional valve setup will take longer to stop than a factory drum/disk setup with the correct proportional valve)

He also said that it's a good idea to use the master cylinder from the four wheel disk setup since it will tend to be a little larger.....but he did say you could probably use the stock master cylinder if it was hard to swap out.

It's been a while since I talked to him so I don't remember everything he told me but he seemed to know what he was talking about and it makes sense to me so I'm assuming he's correct.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Erfinder wrote:I'm assuming he's talking about the master cylinder's proportional valves which regulate brake pressure split between the front and rear brakes.
Yup! They screw into the master cylinder. If you use the drum ones you'll find that the rear discs will lock up on wet/slippery roads and your rear will be overtaking the front! You can use the stock master cylinder without any problems but the proportional valves must be changed.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Those proportioning valves are stamped 3/20 and are GM P/N 90349599. They only fit the ATE type master cylinder. If you have an early car you'll need to change it. The valves cost ?46 for the pair from Vauxhall.
I also dug out receipts for some other parts;

Stub axle fixing screws M10x38 GM P/N 11091822 - ?1.02 each,
Handbrake return spring GM P/N 9156405 - ?1.11 each,
Handbrake cable bracket GM P/N 90473889 - ?1.28,
Handbrake cable bracket GM P/N 90473888 - ?1.30

I hope this is of help to some of you!

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

im just a begginer when it comes to brakes but...

Erfinder was talking about how close of a match Honda civic brake rotors were to the lanos rotors..

i was wondering if you could use the whole rear brake unit for a custom conversion kit off a honda??

tomorrow i can pull some off a integra in the junkyard and see how close they match the front if that helps any (its the only honda car out there with disc)

possible? i do see some custom parts having to be made but i dont see why we have to stick with daewoo caliper, rotor and pads when honda parts fit and there is more out there and cost less
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

WooHoo wrote:Erfinder was talking about how close of a match Honda civic brake rotors were to the lanos rotors..
Finding out would be nice. When I lived in the Okinawa Prefecture, I knew guys who bought rotors for their Skylines (just used Z32 300Z turbo rotors) from www.irotors.com Everyone was happy...plus they got APO shipping whoch I could not so their shipping costs were a fraction of what mine would have been. Anyway, I looked for Lanos specific rotors and found none there but did find some on EBAY. However, I know people who were happy with irotors and I'd like to use them if at all possible.