does the Leganza have Shocks or Struts

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daew0Leganza
banned

does the Leganza have Shocks or Struts

Post by Daew0Leganza »

i want to be getting a new suspension system for my woo, the softest shocks money could buy, i want the ride of a mercedes benz and the turning of a porshe, any one know wut shocks or struts will do that for me?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

sorry but all I can do is laugh...
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Unfortunatly soft doesn't go hand in hand with handling at the moment....the words soft and performance are never used together.

Your choices are soft with a floaty suspension where the car rolls heavily(which is bad) or stiff with a very hard and bumpy ride with very little roll.

Lets say you are turning right, a car with lots of roll (soft suspension) will tilt away from the corner.... so the driver side drops and the passenger side rises.

Of course this is bad since it makes the weight on the outside tires way higher.

As a result you will have very little grip going around the corner which is what makes for poor handling.

A very stiff suspension is very rough on the kidneys and you feel every single bump but it has very little roll going around corners so the weight of the car is distributed onto the tires better.

As a result you can go way faster around corners with a stiff suspension than you could with a soft suspension.

Right now your suspension is a combination of ride quality and performance so your Leganza would probably be on the soft side of things suspension wise.

So it's up to you..... soft but very nice ride quality and poor handling or stiff with horrible ride quality and unbelievable handling.

Oh.... and by the way its spelled Porsche....please get it right.....it's one of my favorite cars.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Having said all that the world of suspensions is about to change dramaticly here in the next few years with new technology.

There is now something called MAGNETORHEOLOGICAL Suspensions.

It's presently being used on the Corvette and Cadillac SRX (as an option)

Basicly its a shock fluid that "hardens" with the application of a magnetic field.

As a result the shock can go from "mercedes soft" to "porsche hard" in a fraction of a second.

This new type of shock is computer controlled and can absorb bumps while providing great "race car" like handling.

It can even make the shocks on one side of the car very stiff and the other side very soft when going into corners which makes it even better than a conventional "stiff" suspension.

Let's say your turning right..... the driver side shock turn rock hard and the passenger side turn very soft.... the result is that the car actually leans into the turn which makes for way better weight distribution (which results in better handling)

For that matter you could set it up with different rates depending on the situation so each and every shock has a different infinitly adjustable rate depending on the "G forces" your car is experiencing.

This is great news for front wheel drive cars because your computer controlled system can actually remove understeer by adjusting rates between the front and rear shocks as you go around the corners.

This means that our front wheel drive cars will now have perfectly neutral handling characteristics via these new computer controlled magnetic shocks.

Here is an example of a "race" application
http://www.carrerashocks.com/MagneShock%20Gen2.htm

Here is a very technical description of how it works
http://microgravity.grc.nasa.gov/fcarch ... namics.htm

If you want to know more look up the Corrvette and SRX as I'm sure they have some info on the suspension.