Just noticed something that doesn't look or feel right...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Oh boy... here we go...

Today i was driving a bit around town, car shopping for my cousin... So we sat in my car, got ready to leave, turned the car on... and suddenly... Yes.. a lovely scent of gasoline came through my vents in my car when the heater came on...

So... not ever having had it be so strong... I opened my hood... To no surprise... I had a leak... Which i'd suspected before because i'd get random wiffs of gasoline... but nothing this stong... So i proded around in my car along the fuel lines, it turns out my fuel rail's valve on the top was leaking a lot...
(not sure what it's for exactly i assumed it was to relieve pressure when removing it, and remove air bubbles when replacing it...)

Can anyone tell me what the valve is for?

Would this cause the spray of the fuel out of the injectors to be weak, and therefore make the injectors dump more fuel in to compensate for the lack of a good spray?

Also, because it would leak that would explain why at high speeds i couldn't smell it (the gas would evaporate quickly)

~Kyle
a woo that is a work in progress
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i believe that is a pressure release and pressure check valve. the repair manual mentions checking proper fuel pressure with that valve.

if it's leaking... i'm sure it could cause for wierd flow through the injectors... in hvac if you have a branch line and then the main line ends with no restriction... you get awful flow through the branch lines...

in this case the fuel rail would be the main line and the injectors the branch lines... the branch lines really only get the pressure that is backed up by the flow through the main. depending on how much fuel was coming from the valve... you might be loosing major fuel pressure.
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

So i was somewhat right in my assumption?

What can i do to fix this? Get a new fuel rail? or is there a way to repair the valve... I DO have to say after i tightened the valve as an on the spot fix i did get slightly better gas milage than i'm used to when i'm driving the car...

One thing i'm happy for is I always carry a small set of tools around with me in my car, otherwise i'd never been able to do that on the spot temporary fix... and i'd probably be out of gas somewhere, it was leaking pretty bad...

~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

new rail :roll:

you might be able to get away with a new layer of teflon tape on the valve and then re-insert it
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

pt no 90411551 Is the fuel rail, i looked at a couple sites, they're going for about $150 - 180 USD... Think tom would be able to get it for any cheaper?

~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

i have no idea :?

can't hurt to ask though. in the mean time i would try to plug the leak cause that's a HUGE fire hazard if you think about it
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

haha, i know... thats more of what i was worried about when i was driving the car home... my engine just bursting into flames... I actually think the valve itself is broken, but tightening it seemed to keep the leaking down to a minimum...
~Kyle
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I could live with bad gas milage for a long time, but if out of no where my engine caught fire, i don't think the car would go much further...

~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

it is an idea... but, relieve the fuel pressure (se how to section) then remove the valve from the fuel rail and take it to a parts store, or hydraulic supply and see if you can find a replacement for it.

you may be able to find a bolt to use as a plug instead (valve it only to check fuel pressure)
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I went outside, tested that valve by taking the cap off and turning on the ignition to aux power... and that thing just gushed out... So i turned it off again it seems the only thing keeping the gas inside the fuel rail is that cap...

Tomorrow i don't plan on driving it very far as i don't have any means of finding a way to plug the rail and prevent it from leaking until i get a new one... I'm just opting to get a new rail...

~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

whoa... hold up.... i don't think a new fuel rail will help

email the guys at gm-car-parts and ask them if CHEVY part number 90448751 is the same fuel pressure felief valve as the daewoo model.

the part number is the one on the parts list for the daewoo, but is only listed under chevy/geo. it's is listed as a fuel valve under chevy/geo though!

so...

90448751 - VALVE - 40 bucks
90354618 - SEAL (also only listed as chevy/geo) - 1 dollar

you'd need both.

*i got part numbers from the parts listing at www.daewootech.net under articles and then under nubi service manual
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Whoa yeah that would be so much better than replacing the rail... especially cuz it might not even come with a new valve... I should've looked it up in the manual...I'll go ahead and forward this onto my parents... Thanks a bunch!!!

~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

email them first though... make sure it's compatible!!! (i'm sure it is... but just to be safe... if it's not they will help you)
Audacity Racing
moron

just to give you the idea
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

that is exactly the valve i was talking about 8)

~Kyle