tranny flush

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Ziggy

tranny flush

Post by Ziggy »

I have an '01 Leganza and I was curious is anyone could tell me at how many miles should I flush the tranny for the first time. I currently have about 40k on the car.
2001 Daewoo Leganza CDX
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

I was told that is a service required at every 30,000mi.

LG
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

flush the tranny?? i think newer cars doesn't require flushing at all.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

If by flushing the tranny he means servicing it, then i believe every auto tranny must be serviced regularly. I was told by the mechanic who did my pre-purchase inspection (a good aquaintance of mine) that at the 30,000mi checkup, the car required both a coolant system flush, and tranny service.
(though i could be wrong :D)

LG
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

mmamdouh wrote:flush the tranny?? i think newer cars doesn't require flushing at all.

MMamdouh
Correct!

The owners manual says that changes aren't required unless you drive in harsh conditions (stop and go, delivery, extreme heat, cold, or dust). If you do fall into the harsh category, recommended intervals are about 50,000 miles. I recently changed my tranny fluid in my car for the first time at about 187,000 miles and it did more harm than good.
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

BosnianLanos wrote:Correct!

The owners manual says that changes aren't required unless you drive in harsh conditions (stop and go, delivery, extreme heat, cold, or dust). If you do fall into the harsh category, recommended intervals are about 50,000 miles. I recently changed my tranny fluid in my car for the first time at about 187,000 miles and it did more harm than good.
Good enough for me!

What do they consider extreme heat? It can get up to 110F where i live, during the summer.

I only received my car this afternoon, and I DID get the manual with it. It looks like it is required reading this evening.

LG.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

LoL.

110 Degrees during a few months of the year won't damage anything. This is more like African/Middle Eastern desert conditions.
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

BosnianLanos wrote:LoL.

110 Degrees during a few months of the year won't damage anything. This is more like African/Middle Eastern desert conditions.
Doesnt hurt to ask right? Plus, next time I drive my car to Africa I will know what services will be necessary. :lol:
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

This last summer assfualt (sp) temps reached 172degrees F.... try even standing on it for 5 mins w/o the feeling your eyes are melting
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

SickDrift wrote:
BosnianLanos wrote:LoL.

Doesnt hurt to ask right? Plus, next time I drive my car to Africa I will know what services will be necessary. :lol:
LMAO!
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

kinkyllama wrote:This last summer assfualt (sp) temps reached 172degrees F.... try even standing on it for 5 mins w/o the feeling your eyes are melting
Yeah, "F" that!

I cant stand the heat here. Thats why im moving to Oregon first chance I get!
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

BosnianLanos wrote:
mmamdouh wrote:flush the tranny?? i think newer cars doesn't require flushing at all.

MMamdouh
Correct!

at that point it's best not to change it. if you dont change the fluid for an extreamly long time the friction plates become dependant on the friction from the debris from the fluid.

also drain and refill doesnt get all fluid some is stored in the tq converter.

i would say drain and fill now and at 60 flush.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Thanks for all the input. My Leggy was just taken in because the tranny sprung a leak, to the point where it was undrivable for long distances. My wife had called me at work with the news that it started revving but not going any faster when she hit the gas. We had to put in 4 quarts to go 20 miles to the dealer. We dropped the car off and the next day they called and told my wife that it needs a new hose and clamps, and the cost was around $300, I told my wife ok because we purchased the warranty with the car. Yesterday they called twice. the first one says tha the fluid was dirty and it should have a flush, I told her to say ok. Then they call back and tell us that this was not going to be under the warranty, so my wife starts arguing with them, she finally gave up and said here talk to my husband. So I get on the phone and we go back and forth for a while, then I finally say not to fix it, for one My fluid should not need a flush because half the fluid in there is brand new, and if it is that dirty, there is definitely something wrong with the transmission. Finally I tell him that I will be there to get my car. And he says that will still cost you $80 to get your car. I said I don't think so. If you want your Montero (loaner vehicle) back in running order I would waive the charge if I were you. I hung up on his a$$ and went there in person. I went and asked for my keys so I could get the warranty out of the car. The clerk asked me if something was wrong, I says I'm only talking to the manager. Manager comes out and I show him exactly where it says in our warranty that talks about covering all componants in the powertrain including hoses and such directly connected to the tranny, I proceed to tell him what ever is done to the car, the maximum I have to pay is my deductible, which is $100. And if there is any more problems such as this where anyone tells me or my wife something is not covered, I won't give you a second chance. I will go straight to my dad and sue your a$$es, as he is a local lawyer. Turns out my car should be taken care of by Wed. morning. And all that they will charge is my deductable. I like having my wife make the first contact, Its funny how the try screwing with women, then I take control and the try sticking with their story which never has a backbone. All I know is, having the Montero in Minnesota this time of year has been a nice replacement vehicle. Gotta love the 4 wheel drive. And yes I sure have taken it off roading!!!! :lol: :lol:
2001 Daewoo Leganza CDX
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just a little update... I got my car back today and everything went real smooth. All I ended giving them was infact the $100 deductable. They even changed the motor oil and filter for me!!! I'm actually happy to have my car back, its alot better on gas than an SUV!!!
2001 Daewoo Leganza CDX
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

great to hear everythings good now. and i love your threat about them not getting the suv in working condition. :lol:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.