2.0L Turbo Engine

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

2.0L Turbo Engine

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well I've finally found a site devoted to the 2.0L turbo engine from the Pontiac sunbird GT turbo.

http://lt3.reallyrules.com/specs/LT3.html

They have been calling it a C20GET and I'm inclined to think that is the correct name for it..... I was calling it a C20E but I think that perhaps that is the general "family" name for the block.

The site was set up by one of the Jbody.org guys (a forum devoted to J-Body style cars....such as the sunbird)

Here is what they wrote about the stock pistons.........

"The question of whether the stock 2 liter turbo pistons are forged or not or made by Mahle or not has been solved. The stock pistons are forged units made by a company in Brazil called Metal Leve. Metal Leve was a piston manufacturer who was bought a while back by Mahle. The employees, part numbers and products of Metal Leve are the same as they were but are now rebranded as Mahle. So that's that. Jeff was correct, they are forged."

So that is of course good news for all of us doing the swap.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

They also figure that the crankshaft is also forged.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes!!!!!!

Somebody on one the LT3 ( 2.0L turbo C20GET (I was calling it a C20E) ) site found this.......

Crower billett connecting rods made of 4340 steel for sale. H-beam. Order now, delivery in 10 weeks. Made for C20XE and C20LET. Will handle 600hp+ in C20LET at max. 8000rpm. Inclusive 220.000psi rod bolts (better than some ARP bolts). Price ?575 per set of 4 rods incl. shipping excl. norwegian VAT (foreign customers do not pay VAT). By interest, please contact us at post@protrim.no. Phone: 0047 90917900 19.00-22.00CET. On weekends you may call at any time, saturday and sunday.

JE forged pistons may be delivered on request for C20LET. Price around ?400 incl. shipping.

I have been looking for rods for a while and I was about 70% sure Crower made connecting rods for the 2.0L but I didn't manage to get around to talking to anyone at Crower about it.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

sounds like your going to have one helluva engine to stick in that woo

600hp woo would own!!
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

WooHoo wrote:sounds like your going to have one helluva engine to stick in that woo

600hp woo would own!!
600hp is way to optimistic :wink:

but round 300 hp wold not be a problem from that engine, only the gear box would not survive. A friend has 240 hp in his c20xe + turbo and he smasched his 3 gear, the tranny was from Astra GSi
Image Image
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Hmmm good info man. :arrow: :twisted:
ImageImage
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Very intresting info about the C20GET :wink:

Those JE Pistons and Crower Rods are great news for you Turbo guys!
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I bet they would work in the T20SED (Nubira 2.0L) as well.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Of course they will... :lol:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
2 liter turbo

Post by 2 liter turbo »

Am I the first visitor from the LT3 board? I'll try to behave! For those of you who never got the turbo Sunbird or Skyhawk imported to your area the engine code C20GET is stamped on a pad on the block deck adjacent to #4 cylinder. I'm also one of the people who does not believe the crank is forged steel. Anybody know if any of the Euro versions of these engines came with a forged crank?

Tony
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

2 liter turbo wrote:Am I the first visitor from the LT3 board? I'll try to behave! For those of you who never got the turbo Sunbird or Skyhawk imported to your area the engine code C20GET is stamped on a pad on the block deck adjacent to #4 cylinder. I'm also one of the people who does not believe the crank is forged steel. Anybody know if any of the Euro versions of these engines came with a forged crank?

Tony
Good, maybe you can tell us of any weak points in this engine. I am now considering the T20SED 2.0 Nubi swap now instead of the C20GET.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
2 liter turbo

2.0L turbo engine

Post by 2 liter turbo »

Well, I'm tempted to say the connecting rods seem to be a problem but that wouldn't be the entire story. I and a friend both have engines with broken rods but they seem to have been caused by a loose rod bolt! The rod broke about an inch above the bolt boss but the bolt was backed out a ways. My guess is the loose bolt allowed the big end to spread and the crank rotation and loading finally killed it. Never liked those torque to yield bolts!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Good to see you and PontiacJeff made over from the LT3 site... you will find your engine knowledge will be greatly appreciated here. ( by the way I'm Lanosmfg on the LT3 board )
2 liter turbo

2 liter turbo engine

Post by 2 liter turbo »

:lol: Thanks for the warm reception Chris! I'll tell you what I can but don't expect too much! My friend Motorman377 lurks around these boards too but only speaks up when he feels properly motorvated. He's a wealth of info so keep an eye out for him too.
Tony
'87 Sunbird GT turbo convertible
13.61 @ 101.44 MPH in 1/4 mile
262 whp 350 lbs ft wtq
pontiacjeff

Post by pontiacjeff »

hello, fellows. I feel like we are crashing someone else's party! The rods bolts are the weak link. They basically amount to a grade 8 hardware store bolt. (10.5 metric rating) THE DAEWOO ENGINES USE THE SAME ROD AND SAME GRADE 10.5 BOLTS AS THE C20NE/GET US ENGINES! The 12.x bolts found in the 1.8L SOHC are a better bolt. Better yet, a set of ARP bolts for US$45.00 and a good re-size will enable up to 300HP. Polish and shot-peen the beams and they are good for 350 (as long as you keep shifts under 7000rpm). The original engine in my GA was detonated. Two rods broke 1" up the beam from the big-end. Windowed both sides of the block and broke the crank in 3 places. If anyone has plans for real hp from a Daewoo engine, ARP rod bolts are the way to go.