The longest Thread ever!!!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

dude... it's on isohunt... here, let me post the torrent :D
Audacity Racing
moron

Audacity Racing
moron

man... this place has been dead the past couple days :cry:
Audacity Racing
moron

well... i picked out my carbon fiber top panel for my roof, hood, and trunk :D

http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html

the black/green hybird (2nd one down)
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

damn dude you must just have money to spend left and right to buy all that stuff. wanna pay my credit card off? :roll: :wink:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Audacity Racing
moron

haha... i'm only spending 305 on it (buying 10 yards)

the way i figure it, i need...

5 feet for the trunk: the 50" will span from the rear window down to the bumper and the 5' gives me a good seam line on each side.

4 feet for the roof: the 50" will cover side to side fine, and the length offers a good ammount. this measurement plus the first = 3 yards

then i need 4 yards for the hood... i'm doing a seam cover along the raised section... so one yard for each side, then two more yards to cover the center.

i'll have a black metal line traveling up the crease in the hood, as well as across the top of the hood scoop (should look like an upside-down A from the front). that way i can hide my seams as well as add some structure. :D :D :D :D

i'm using fiberglass and structure grade cf for the skeletons of the trunk and hood... that stuff is cheap
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

so are you making an actual cf roof or just covering it?

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

actual cf roof, but there isn't really a skeleton to it, it will mount to the roll cage inside anyway
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

oh :shock: .. how much has it cost you so far and how much time you spent on it?

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

Tools:

mig/tig welder - 900 bucks
tube notcher - 200 bucks
pipe bender - 500 bucks

HAD: bandsaw, grinders, drills, lathe, mill, press, cold saw, and propane forge

Materials:

steel tube- 500 bucks
steel stock - 400 bucks
steel plate/sheet - 250 bucks
fasteners - 400 bucks
misc parts - 800 bucks
* threaded inserts, spherical bearings, safety wire, gasket maker, roll
padding, etc

Off-the-shelf parts:

brakes (everything) - 800 bucks
turbos (2) - 100 bucks (remember the school deal)
aem (with wideband) - 1200 bucks
steering wheel - 200 bucks
seats - 2000 bucks ( :roll: )
harnesses - 1000 bucks ( :roll: )
misc interior 1000 bucks
*mirror, paneling, gauges, etc

GRAND TOTAL - 11,000ish

i should end up around 20 when i'm done. it's actually neat that i'll be producing a purpose built race car for under 35,000 including car cost.

i haven't priced out my shocks yet because i'm waiting on some stress test stuff to come in. when i origanially designed my a-arms (a while ago) i didn't factor in the weight of a sound system (i want one) and so i don't know what kinda handling properties i'll get from that. i'm still debating it as a whole. you can see though, i have another 10,000 dollars to go before i get everything ready. :roll: :D

i got lucky with school and getting my scholarships to pay for a lot of this stuff and count it to research. out of pocket i'm shooting for no more than 10,000 over the course of the past two years and the next 4.

i should have the engine running by the end of winter
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

damn dude. :shock: i need to go to your school then. i was really just talking about the cf parts itself.

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

haha... the cf stuff should all come in under 1500 when it's all said and done. :lol: :lol: :lol: i have 3 5 gallon buckets of resin in my garage that i got for free from school... hahahaha

dude, i've been working for a long time to build a reputation as a car designer/builder. i've been working hard to pull off an engineering degree, a drafting degree, materials science, and auto mechanics all at teh same time. it's nuts. :roll: i graduate with the drafting degree in two and a half weeks and then go hard core on my mechanical engineering and materials science. the auto mechanics is a mail order thing, do at your own pace. i should have that done by end of next year
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

damn i wish they had something like that around where i live. the closest thing is what i'm already taking which is just a vocational school deal for auto body and they have mechanics courses too that i might dab into. but as for actual courses like in a college they don't have. well they have engineneering i'm sure but that would be about it. oh well i'm a somewhat lazy anyways. i only do stuff that interests me that why i only went ot college for like a whole three weeks :shock: i hated taking all those basic classes.

nick

CustomLanos
Expert

Post by CustomLanos »

CustomLanos wrote:ATTENTION ACINGTEAM!!!! ---- Have you ever thought about coming to an fyc meet? They really wont let you down, there is always a great turnout. And i know there is another woo in Conn. (slammed) and he is a lot closer to where the meets are. soo.....

ATTENTION SLAMMED!!!!! ---- Would you consider going to a meets in Bristol, RI During the spring/summer?
I wish my grass was emo....so it would cut itself
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

CustomLanos wrote:
CustomLanos wrote:ATTENTION ACINGTEAM!!!! ---- Have you ever thought about coming to an fyc meet? They really wont let you down, there is always a great turnout. And i know there is another woo in Conn. (slammed) and he is a lot closer to where the meets are. soo.....

ATTENTION SLAMMED!!!!! ---- Would you consider going to a meets in Bristol, RI During the spring/summer?
I don't know yet... possibly though. Right now I have school exams and work... so maybe in like a month or so.