Timing belt question ?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

RevirD

Timing belt question ?

Post by RevirD »

when must this change ? and do you need to change the tensioner also.
Just E-v-i-r-D
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

It's recommended to change the tensioner. The timing belt should be changed before 60,000 miles.
tango

Post by tango »

Seeing that our cars had the metric gauges, change it at around 90,000 km. Nothing much to worry about because our Jamaican spec 8 valvers are non-interference (compression ratio of 8.6:1 helps this), which means you can break the timing belt wihtout bending valves. The 16 valvers arent so luky, I'm afraid.
You are supposed to change the tensioner AND the water pump as well (seeing that the timing belt drives the water pump as well and it WILL break the belt if it jams). The water pump can be a chore to remove and replace. Island sells all these parts at very competitive prices so give them a call. If you change the water pump make sure you get the one without the metal disk around the base of the pulley. That one will work but you will have to cut the disk off (it's actually for the older Racer). Trying to fit it as is will cause the timing belt shroud to not fit over it. Be sure to mark where the original water pump was because although the manual says to match up the marks, I've found there are no marks. I had to do a bit of trial and error with the tension of the timing belt and finally came to a good point of fit. Good luck.
Cogito ergo sum...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

tango wrote:Seeing that our cars had the metric gauges, change it at around 90,000 km. Nothing much to worry about because our Jamaican spec 8 valvers are non-interference (compression ratio of 8.6:1 helps this), which means you can break the timing belt wihtout bending valves. The 16 valvers arent so luky, I'm afraid.
just adding to Tango's valuable contribution that the Lanos 1.5 SOHC is an interference engine 'cause it has higher compression ratio (9.5:1) so that makes us unlucky as well in case a timing belt breaks :(

also i replace my timing belt every 40,000 kms only (tensioner and water pump at every 80,000)... i think 90,000 is a very long service period given the threat of bent valves if it breaks, don't you think?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tango

Post by tango »

No, Mamdouh. Our Lanos' also have the 8.6:1 compression ratio that my Cielo has. This makes all single-cam Daewoos sold in Jamaica non-interference models. This was confirmed several times by the guys at Island Motors. (Twin-cam valves are hot sellers, whereas the single cammers barely leave the shelves).
Cogito ergo sum...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe those are the engines you got over there but here our lanoses come with 9.5:1 compression ratio engines and my mechanic confirmed that a broken timing belt will result in bent valves on the 1.5 SOHC engine we got.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267