repacking front bearings

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

demrpaxton

repacking front bearings

Post by demrpaxton »

I have a 2000 leganza and the rear were easy but how do you get the hub nut off to pull the front wheel bearings?

Tips are appreciated.

Thanks
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

If I am correct, the front ones are non-servicable. They are pressed in, and need to be replaced as an assembly.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Tom
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You are correct. Front ones can't be serviced, can only be changed, I'm 100% sure.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i concur... also they require a compressing piston or some tool like that to force them out... it is a hard task for sure.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yeah i know that 1 discount tire stripped the threds ouit of my wheel hub and i have to press a new 1 in(withe new bearing), but the dealer accidentally gave me an extra wheel bearing :D so that will save me $50 later down the road!
rbinc

Post by rbinc »

yeah i know that 1 discount tire stripped the threds ouit of my wheel hub and i have to press a new 1 in(withe new bearing), but the dealer accidentally gave me an extra wheel bearing so that will save me $50 later down the road!
If you have a press, it's easiest to pull the strut out of the car and work it in your press. I have a tool to do it on the car, but the press is easier for me.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bearing assembly is actually two bearings; an inner and outer caged ball bearing assembled in a one-peice machined sleeve that has both inner and outer races.

No big deal to press the hub out since you have no regard for the old bearing. But after the assembly is pressed in the knuckle, you MUST support the bottom(inner bearing) inner race or you will destroy the bearing as you press the wheel hub back in. The inner bearing will be pressed out of the assembly and the seal ruined if you do not do this. I did this once many years ago and had to eat an $80 bearing for the customer.

FWIW. :D