POLL: WRX or SRT-4?

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is sport compact car's SRT-4 project.

With a $330 install of a Stage 1 kit they made 240 horsepower at the wheels and 280 lb-ft of torque!!!!!!!!!

Here is the link to their project cars....

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a review from another area of their site.....

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/012scc_dodge/
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Check out this review of the SRT-4 (lightweight version )

It does the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds with drag radials!!!

It said that the DaimlierChrysler engineers did the 1/4 mile in 11.83 seconds when they threw on some slicks.

It also pulls 1.01g in cornering!!!!!!!!!

This factory "Stage 3R" setup makes 369 horsepower at the wheels!!!!

If this doesn't make you want to buy this car..... then you really should go out and pick up a WRX. :roll:

There was a production version called an "SRT-4 ACR" which had most of these goodies.... all that was required was the stage 3R kit.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0411scc_srt02/
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is an example site for performance parts........

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/srt4_index.shtml

$3624.99 gets you a full Stage 3R kit !!!!

Here are more details...

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/sr ... 3kit.shtml

This car is crazy..... I do not think there is another car out there that can touch it under the "bang for your buck" category.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was just on Autotrader.....

2003 and 2004 SRT-4's running between $10,000 to $15,000 that still have waranty.

So for $20,000 you could have yourself a 360 wheel horsepower monster. ( roughly 400hp to 430hp at the crank )

Find me a WRX that has those kinds of specs for that kind of money and I will kick my own ass!
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Well, Chris exhaused any possible add-on to the SRT-4 agenda.....but one, and this may be the most important one.

Right now, one can no longer buy a "new" SRT-4...this is the last year of production, and once the stock is gone, no more. What this mean, is that next year, the value of SRT-4 will be higher. Right now, this car is pretty much the best value for money.

Tom
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I completely agree with what had been said by Chris and Tom. I've done a lot of research, and the SRT-4 is definately faster and has better internals.

Here in the USA, the prices on autotrader range from 15k-20k for SRT-4s.

My price range is no more than 16-17k.

All I'm going to do to a car is the mods that I listed previously... I'm not going crazy and putting stage 3 turbo kit on anything.

I need a car that's fairly quick, reliable, sounds good, has decent gas milage (since it'll be my commuter car) and has good handling.

So I think both fall into this category except WRX definately has better handling, and sounds better.

I will be buying a car right before the summer and will test drive both to determine which one.

If I wanted to go crazy and spent the least amount of money per horse power, I would get an SRT-4.... but so far the WRX fits me best, I think.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Chris, I stand corrected. :D

I'm was just thinking that since the SRT-4's are still quite pricey, even used, a cheaper WRX might have been a better option because it would leave money over for mods.

And correct, the SRT-4/Neon no longer exist. I was at the Tampa Bay car show today and they didn't have any on display. Dodge is pretty much done for. All the trucks were bland and the interior of the Charger was on the inimpressive side.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Why not look at the Suzuki Reno or Forenza?

I have the money to buy nearly anything.... but I still choose to run a Daewoo/Gm product as my daily driver.

If they come out with a G35 AWD Coupe.... well.... you might never see me again :D

You could get a year old one for cheap.... I bet they would be selling in the $10K range by next summer.

Sure it's nothing special.... but it gets good gas mileage, the handling is decent and it goes pretty good when you do a few simple mods.

My Optra 5 ( Reno ) is probably running around 150hp with a CAI, Underdrive pulley and exhaust.

Anyways.... the WRX is tempting.... just keep in mind that Subaru and GM have separated so the future of Subaru may be in question.

They might expand and become better than they are now.... or they might fall on their face here in north america..... who knows.

Don't get me wrong..... I don't mind the WRX.... but I don't know if I would buy one.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I get what you mean Chris.

02-03 WRX with decent milage (no more than 60k) should be around $14,000 by next summer which isn't too bad at all.

But SRT-4 is not out of the question yet... it's still on my mind, but WRX is the first choice for now...
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

BosnianLanos wrote:@Erfinder

Yes, I have a FWD car and when I mean it sucks, I mean that it isn't as good as AWD. I'm venturing a guess that most people would say that FWD is not the best of the three options.
On a roadcourse awd doesnt really help unless your making ungodly amounts of power. RWD is probably a little better than FWD (never driven RWD on a course) but if you making under 200hp it doesnt really matter.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:
BosnianLanos wrote:@Erfinder

Yes, I have a FWD car and when I mean it sucks, I mean that it isn't as good as AWD. I'm venturing a guess that most people would say that FWD is not the best of the three options.
On a roadcourse awd doesnt really help unless your making ungodly amounts of power. RWD is probably a little better than FWD (never driven RWD on a course) but if you making under 200hp it doesnt really matter.
Stock WRX is 227hp and 217lbs of torque and I'm not keeping it stock hehe.
AWD should be fun in the winter.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I missed the 3rd page when i made my last post.

There was a highly modded SRT-4 that i playied tag with all weekend out on the track, he passed me, i passed him.. went like that all weekend. I must say the handling of that thing was impressive... i wont even talk about the power.

But id still stick with my forenza... cant beat the compliments i get with it still. In my group alone there were a few SRTs and just as many STIs... so im kinda suprised your going from your lanos (which few people have) to something I see everyday.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:I missed the 3rd page when i made my last post.

There was a highly modded SRT-4 that i playied tag with all weekend out on the track, he passed me, i passed him.. went like that all weekend. I must say the handling of that thing was impressive... i wont even talk about the power.

But id still stick with my forenza... cant beat the compliments i get with it still. In my group alone there were a few SRTs and just as many STIs... so im kinda suprised your going from your lanos (which few people have) to something I see everyday.
If you had a Lanos, then maybe you'd know why lol.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hmmm.... what would I buy if I didn't have a half dozen cars allready?

Well.... I really like the mid nineties 240SX.... rear wheel drive and the SR20DET swap is easy as pie.

You could easily do a nice Silvia for under $15,000.

Hmmm.... what else.... well.... for $15,000 you could have a highly modified Opel Calibra running AWD with 300+ horsepower.

I don't know about the USA but I can bring in any car that's over 15 years in age..... and the early nineties 2.0L Turbo AWD 6spd Opel Calibra is now available.

I am really tempted to pick up one of these bad boys and have it shipped here.

Tom wants one in right hand drive..... but I don't think I'd be comfortable sitting on the other side of the car.... I'd probably import mine from Germany or one of the other European countries that have left hand drive vehicles.

Hmmm..... what else can I think of...... well.... there is also the Nissan Pulsar NX which can be converted into an SR20DET powered Nissan Sunny GTiR
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos