POLL: WRX or SRT-4?

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

BosnianLanos wrote:
AcingTeam wrote:so again.... half people say SRT-4 and the other half says WRX.... :cry: :cry: I will never decide.

SRT-4:
PROS = better gas milage, a bit quicker
CONS = FWD, the name Dodge Neon.

WRX:
PROS = Lovely boxer engine sound, AWD, more aftermarket support
CONS = a bit slower, everybody has one.
SRT-4:
- You don't buy a fast car to save gas
- For the same price, an older WRX will destroy a SRT-4 with a few mods
- FWD does suck
- It isn't simply the name "Neon" that bothers me. Dodge has a really bad reputation for quality in their cars (semi-ok trucks) and aren't really a trusted brand. The engine will be ok but the transmission will be in trouble after several thousand miles of hard driving.

WRX:
- Boxers do sound cool, but the engine is of overall better design and quality than Dodge. You can bet on that.
- AWD does rule. Is there anything better than a Redline launch?
- Aftermarket support is a plus. Cheaper parts are more readily available to quickly get you to the point where you can beat an SRT-4
- You are right, a lot of people do own the WRX, but who cares? It is your car and if you enjoy it, what the hell does it matter (The whole point of modding Daewoos). If you buy any fast compact, chances are that you won't be unique.

Have you perhaps thought about the Cobalt SS, or is it out of your price range?
A lot of good points... about the gas milage... even though they are both fast, I'd still rather take the one that's more efficient on gas.

About Cobalt SS... I was looking into getting a turbo'ed car with the blow off valve :twisted: :twisted:

I pretty much have decided on the WRX. If I get it, chances are less that it had been previously abused (since a lot of old people drive it)... it's AWD, boxer engine is AWESOME, it's quick, lots of aftermarket support. I don't know, I'll just get a Subaru WRX (02-03) cause I love the round headlights. Maybe 04-05 if the price drops by the summer.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I've already decided on the mods I will get right after I get the car:

1) Angled Cat-back exhaust (preferebly HKS Ti-Carbon)
2) Downpipe (w/ CEL fix)
3) TurboXS RFL bov
4) Turbo timer
5) Short Shifter

Will also modify the intake system. I've done a lot of research and everyone says that if you install a CAI on a WRX, you loose a lot of low-end torque, so it's not recommended. Instead, they recommend taking off the silencer (resinator) and link it to the front ram thing for a cold air effect... which is what I'm going to do.

After all these mods I'll probably be around 260hp at the crank which would be enough for me :twisted: :twisted:

BTW, on one of the forums they have listed approximate power gains for the following mods on a stock car:
Cat-back = 10 whp
Downpipe = 10-15 whp
Intake mod = 5 whp

So, that's how I arrived at 260 hp.
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

Great choice, Acing! I was hoping you'd change your mind about that Neon. I read in one of the tuner magazines that was comparing the Cobalt SS, Neon SRT4, Saleen Focus (w/ nos), and RSX Type-S and it said the Neon had really bad handling (boat-like is what they said). WRX is much superior in the handling department. Personally, I dont like the look of the Neon and would much rather own an import over any domestic. I am sad to say but, a lot of soccer mom's drive SRT-4s here (guess they traded in their Caravan). BTW, you can put a BOV on a supercharged car. I hate Cobalts too. I raced a WRX and lost, heh.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

BosnianLanos wrote: - For the same price, an older WRX will destroy a SRT-4 with a few mods
:lol: :lol:

Your kidding right?

From this simple statement I have to think that you have absolutely no experience with the SRT-4

I have a buddy who owns a local tuning shop that has an SRT-4 that could absoluted kill 99% of the WRX's and STi's on the road.

It's lighter and more powerfull than 99% of the WRX's on the road today.

With very little modifications he's pushing over 400 horsepower at the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!

He ran an 11.07 second 1/4mile with the engine detuned to 370 whp.

He didn't have a roll cage installed and figured he might get away with it if he dropped the power levels a little.

They kicked him off the track and told him not to come back unless he has a roll cage installed.

Dollar for dollar the SRT-4 would have twice the horsepower of an STi or WRX.... and it would still be way lighter than the WRX

stock WRX/STi = 3200 lbs
Stock SRT-4 = 2880 lbs

The WRX and STi are not easy to modify (engine management system sucks )..... the SRT-4 is very very simple to modify.

In fact..... you can get factory sold Mopar upgrade kits from Dodge that increase the SRT-4 power levels way way past an STi and you get to keep the factory warranty.

You show me a WRX that runs in the 10's and 11's and I'll show you a dozen local SRT-4's that did it for half the price.

There are litterally dozens of guys around town here running highly modified SRT-4's that kill everything else in the city.

AWD on the WRX sucks ass..... If I'm going to pick an AWD it's Nissan or Mitsuishi all the way.

If you said Infinity G35 AWD vs Dodge SRT-4 I would have been hard pressed to find in favor of the SRT-4.... but WRX vs SRT-4 ????? No comparison.... the SRT-4 kills the WRX.

Sorry to all you WRX fans.... I still like the STi.... I almost bought one.... but now I'm glad I didn't.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

daftmajin wrote:the Neon had really bad handling (boat-like is what they said).
Tien makes a high end coilover kit for the SRT-4 which makes it handle like it's on rails..... I've driven in a heavily modified SRT-4 with with the Tien's ..... it was absolutely CRAZY !!!!

If you drove this car you would never be happy with your own ever again.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Audacityracing wrote:wrx... more aftermarket support and you're in no danger of them dropping it. 2006 is the last year for the neon and srt-4 (to be replaced with the ugliest thing ever)

not to mention, the wrx motor takes a whole lot more in terms of mods than the dodge does (higher boost levels without changing pistons, etc). :!:
I totally disagree..... the SRT-4 aftermarkets are very cheap and easy to find.

Sure the SRT-4 is going away and the Caliber is "fugly" but what does that have to do with anything.... the aftermarket support is allready fully developed in north america.... it's not like they are going to stop making aftermarket parts for the SRT-4

I also disagree with the modifications stuff..... you can make nearly 500 horsepower at the crank on stock internals of the SRT-4.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

BosnianLanos wrote: In my opinion, there is no competition. I would take a WRX over a SRT-4 any day. You can even buy an older one, put $1000 in it and effectively beat the piss out of any stocker SRT-4.
Please prove this.... an SRT-4 can kick the crap out of a stock STi with a simple upgrade of the waist gate actuator.

Hell.... for $0.50 I can get a spring that will increase the boost levels high enough to beat the STi. ( install spring on factory waist gate actuator)
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

heh, erf really knows his neons. :roll: makes a strong point, i guess. still like WRXs though.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You also missed out on one fact.... 230hp is not the real rating of the SRT-4 ..... we've dynoed completely stock SRT-4's that made over 235 horsepower at the wheels..... so that's more like 285hp at the crank.

Dodge/Mercedes purposely underated this car.... rumor is that they ran the power tests hot on purpose to make the insurance rates better.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The only reason I know the SRT-4 so well is that I've seen dozens of them come into APEX Modified (my buddies shop) and I'm extreemly impressed with the car.

These guys are out there snapping engine mounts and axles and getting dodge/mercedes to fix it on warranty!

If you buy an SRT-4 you will never regret it........ go out and find someone with a modified SRT-4 and get him to take you for a test drive.... I have never been so thrilled and scared at the same time.

You will turn white in the face when the guy hits the gas and your doing 100mph more than surrounding traffic in a matter of seconds.

I will warn you....... do not modify an SRT-4 without upgrading suspension components..... a few guys have thrown their SRT-4's into uncontrollable slides due to the instability of the factory suspesion.

I will be completely honest....... I'm very seriously contemplating buying one for the hell of it.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Factory MOPAR Stage 2 kit will land you somewhere between 13.2sec and 13.7sec on the 1/4 mile

Factory MOPAR Stage 3 kit will land you somewhere between 12.0 sec and 12.7sec on the 1/4 mile

So..... you should be able to pull low 12's and keep your warranty.

My buddy's SRT-4 was originally a USA "write off" and they paid around $3500 for it. ( they fixed it up like new for a couple thousand dollars ).

So.... he doesn't care about warranty..... and has a nice big bottle of nitrous in the back seat :twisted:

Find me a WRX or STi that runs low 12's on the track and still has factory warranty and I will boot myself in the head.

Correct me if I'm wrong but an STi runs the 1/4 mile in 13.02 seconds.

Hell..... a Dodge Viper SRT-10 does the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds.... so the SRT-4 with a stage3 is just as fast for $50,000 less!
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'll shut up now..... you all know I can get a little "crazy" sometimes.... I just hate it when people post misinformation about vehicles.

Anyways.... if you get an SRT-4 I'm sure Travis can hook you up with some crazy fast performance modifications and awesome suspension.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

@Erfinder

I didn't say that a stock WRX would beat an SRT-4 with a few mods. I mean that with such similar numbers you could put $1000 worth of modifications into the WRX and have it faster than the stock SRT-4. I'm not doubting that the SRT-4 is a faster car, but I really don't think that Acingteam will be putting several grand worth of MOPAR modifications into a daily driver that he worries about gas mileage with. Basic mods to the WRX would make it quicker and more pleasing to drive. Same goes with the Neon. When I said it would beat an SRT-4, I distinctly said "STOCKER", not one with an upgraded wastegate actuator or some $0.50 springs.

@Efrain

Yes, I have a FWD car and when I mean it sucks, I mean that it isn't as good as AWD. I'm venturing a guess that most people would say that FWD is not the best of the three options.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If you put $1000 worth of mods into an SRT-4 it would make very significant power gains.... far far far superior to the WRX

and yes... I do know a couple guys that have a WRX..... and both say that they are hard to modify.... the ECU throws out check engine lights with simple modifications.

Sorry if I was so aggressive with my posts.... Even with $1000 worth of mods.... I don't think a WRX would beat an SRT-4 in a race..... yes.... it would beat it on a track... but on the street the WRX would see nothing but tail lights.

Also..... you can probably pick up an SRT-4 for thousands less than a WRX because there are so many people out there that look at them as a "Neon"

They may share the same chassis..... but that's where the similarities end.

The SRT-4 engine is a masterpiece.... I'm sure Mercedes had some influence in this engine..... it has some really cool features such as Inconel exhaust valves.... which are usually found in race cars... not Neons.

By the way.... the newer SRT-4 came with a Limited Slip differencial from the factory..... so although it may not be as good as AWD it can certainly put the power down to the ground.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos