C20LET GTE

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

astraoid

C20LET GTE

Post by astraoid »

Hi - Just found this nice site, it's great to see all these variants from all over the globe!

Mine is a Vauxhall Astra GTE with a C20LET which has had a few mods lol.

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

chameloen... nice
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

This is a nice suprise...

a few mods eh?? :lmao: you've a Phase 4 bottom end.

i've been looking at your car for quite sometime.

Tell them about your 400hp+ C20LET :roll:

Welcome aboard Astroid...

Efrain A.
(maniac16v)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

wow, love the fenders.
DArkstalker
Super

Post by DArkstalker »

Wow I like that.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Hmmm....Deja Vu :) Must be a glitch in the Matrix, cause I swear I've seen this car before.

But I think this was with your old bonnet, right?

Can you tell me who the bird is?? :lol: 8)

Tom

Post by astraoid »

:lol:

Hi Tom, yep it's the same car - diferent bonnet and wheels - blimey where did you find that pic?
I can't remember what the naughty bird's name was - she was a model for 'Fast Car' magazine.

lol @ maniac16v! some familiar names here then - how come I've not found this site sooner.

The car has been running an EDS Motorsport Phase 4 spec, which was around 370Bhp. Over the last couple of months we've ditched this set-up and gone really mad lol We've gone for a bigger turbo, and Autronic management which should be good for somewhere around the 450Bhp mark. Finally got it started last night so we'll have it mapped by the end of next week... then we get started on the 4x4 conversion.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

nice car.... this is the first time I've seen a widebody kit outside of a magazine.

About the 4X4 conversion..... I'm assuming your looking at using an F28 for this conversion.... do you think it will hold up to such a significant amount of power?

I have a Kadette MKII and a Chev Optra 5 (Daewoo Lacetti)

My long term project is building up a high horsepower 2.4L turbo engine ( based on a heavily modified U22SED block (same as X22XEV) )

I'm looking to make between 600bhp to 800bhp but I can't seem to find anyone that can build me a transmission.

Most of the shops I've contacted in the UK have said that the F28 would not withstand that kind of power.... most have said that 375bhp to 450bhp is it's limit with the conversion to FWD and less in 4X4

One shop that specialized in rally car transmissions had a few suggestions but I don't really feel like spending $15,000

I know there is one automatic over here which will bolt onto these engines and it can easily withstand that amount of power but I would prefer a manual tranny if I can find one that will work for me.

Any suggestions??
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
astraoid

Post by astraoid »

:shock: That would be an awesome project! 600 - 800 is a hell of a lot of power and, tbh, for the top end of that sort of power i don't think you're going to escape spending a lot of cash on the transmission one way or another.

I've been running the F28 c/w Quaife LSD for the past 2 years with around 370ish with no problems, and I've known Calibras with around 450 who haven't had any probs either. I'd have thought an Astra/Kadette would be easier on it's transmission too because it's much lighter, but I've not really looked at this in too much detail. I've only known of 1 other fully converted 4x4 Astra / Kadette so theres not enough data out there to refer to :(

As far as your project is concerned, I'd be tempted to try out the F28 (At least for around the 600Brake mark) and see how it holds up. They're quite cheap now so if it breaks it wont matter so much. My longer term goal is for 600 - 650 max, so if you beat me to it I'd be really interested in hearing how you've got on.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... I plan on extending the U22SED deck height about 1"... then I will bore it out to the water jacket. (it's allready 10mm taller than the factory C20LET deck but I want it around 35mm to get a better rod ratio )

Then install Centrifugal cast iron sleeves (designed for drag cars) and I will use hardblok to fill in the lower block and secure the sleeves.

I will have the bores machined to ensure parallelism.

The crank will be either a custom Billet crank or a crank from an Isuzu diesel motor.

Forged custom rods, forged pistons, external coolant and oil pumps (dry sump)

And a couple billion other modifications.

My limit for the sleeves is 45psi so I should be able to make some very very serious power.... I may even run it off alchohol.... I haven't decided if it's going to be a pure drag car or not.

The TH125C automatic tranny has been know to take almost anything and I could probably use a 4T65E automatic tranny from the american ECOTEC drag racing cars if the TH125C won't handle that power.

The guy I talked to was from this site...

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/

He seemed very knowlegeable and we have been talking about the new F40 tranny since it may prove to be stronger than the F28.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'd love to throw in a Quaife tranny but I just can't justify the price when I can pick up an automatic for about 10-15 times less money. :(

He quoted me some prices on completely rebuilding/blueprinting an F28 with shotpeening and polishing to help increase the power handling capacity.

He doubted that I could make it work with 600+ horsepower.

I talked to an engineer with Quaife a year or two ago to see what he thought about the power handling capacity of their LSD..... but he didn't want to give me a straight answer.

He basicly said that it would be extreemly difficult to destroy the Quaife LSD and that it's used in a number of high power vehicles.

So.... if you read between the lines he's saying that he figures it will handle all that power but he won't put his ass on the line and say it.

At this point I'm not sure what all is going to be required to make this work... I know I will need custom axles but there are a number of other questionable parts that need to be addressed.

The engine is the easy part..... I have a feeling that I'm going to have to weld in a tubular frame in a number of areas to keep the unibody from bending out of shape.

Should be fun..... it's a "long term" project.... I have the engine and I've been doing a few things here and there but most of my time has been spent on my Optra 5..... I should have a turbo engine ready for installation by spring.

I have to fix up the Pontiac Optima ( Kadette MKII ) since it has front end damage from the previous owner.

I'm going to do some amature rally racing.... perhaps some ice racing and of course autocross during the summer.

Eventually this will probably be the chassis I use for the high horsepower engine..... but I could also use a Daewoo Lanos should be slightly lighter than the Astra/Kadette if everything is stripped down.

Who knows..... the high output engine is a long term project so I have lots of time to figure out which direction I want to take it.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Roadrunner 16V

Post by Roadrunner 16V »

500hp are not a problem for the F28. A problem is the synchronization. Over 7000rpm the transmission can be switched badly.
Many is too expensive a regeneration and it drive further to the transmission completely broken is. A Regeneration (all camps and synchronizers) costs approx. 2000euro (2400USD).