Brake Dust Shield Removal

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

karim
Junior

Brake Dust Shield Removal

Post by karim »

I usally take the shield off so I get more flow to the rotor, will many people say it's wrong to take it off because it protects the rotors from water, so the rotor doesn't wrap. In a rally car I found the shileld are sliced open to have more air, and I guess it's not protected from water as they usually drive in high level water, so it's made for protection against rocks not to hit the rotors. Last thing if you have big wheels like 17" the rotors will look so nice without the shield. This just my 2cent.

Karim
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

well i only have a half-assed gaurd on one of four rotors for some reason... so must not be a big deal
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

those guards are used to prevent water splashes from hitting the rotors... water on hot rotors can cause wraping and it decreases the effecency of the brakes as well (i almost crashed due to water on my rotors and pads).

for rally cars i guess cooling the brakes is much important than guarding it from water as they can afford to replace rotors rather than heating up their brakes... also on tarmac rallies where brakes are much abused, the ambient conditions are taken into consideration as far as the car setup goes. also i don't know if carbon fiber rotors wrap as fast as the ones we have on our cars.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

Yes that's true, but back here you hardly find that deep water.
mmamdouh wrote:those guards are used to prevent water splashes from hitting the rotors... water on hot rotors can cause wraping and it decreases the effecency of the brakes as well (i almost crashed due to water on my rotors and pads).

for rally cars i guess cooling the brakes is much important than guarding it from water as they can afford to replace rotors rather than heating up their brakes... also on tarmac rallies where brakes are much abused, the ambient conditions are taken into consideration as far as the car setup goes. also i don't know if carbon fiber rotors wrap as fast as the ones we have on our cars.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yes indeed so you can remove it... the question is how much damage does a little water splash can make?? 'cause thats what you will be getting on a yearly basis... just little splashes.

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

You get your rotors wet all the time when you wash your car, so it's almost the same thing.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i guess this is another reason for wraped rotors... i don't abuse my brakes before a wash and i park some 15 min before the car is actually beeing washed.

MMamdouh
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

karim wrote:You get your rotors wet all the time when you wash your car, so it's almost the same thing.
How often do you wash your car after immediate breaking and constant acceleration/deceleration?

If one splash can start to hurt... one time driving in the rain could ruin them... becuase i doubt you'll get just one splash... god forbid you have to hit a puddle.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.