Fiberglass hood

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Bad news

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Bad news guys.
I went to the fiberglass shop and no one works there that I used to know.
Of course, it HAS been almost 10 years since I left.

The owner didn't like me being there because he thought I would slow down production ... as if the employees actually work hard there when he isn't looking.

Sheesh.

He said that if I *REALLY* wanted a mold made of my hood, he'd think about it and chrage ME $600 and HE would keep the mold.

He was always a jerk.

If Dwayne had still been working, he would have put the hood in the vacuum press and just given the form to me.

Looks like I can't get the hood done.

Sorry everyone.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No problem Cliff..... thanks for trying.

$600 with him keeping the mold isn't all that bad.... my guy wanted $5k for the mold but I get to keep it.

The great thing about owning the mold is that you don't have to put up with the guy if he decides he wants a pile of money for each hood.

Once the mold is paid for the only cost is in the manufacturing itself which is fairly cheap.

Hmmm..... I have someone else I can check with..... I know he won't let me keep the mold but I will see what he wants to get things started.

I'll probably talk to him next time I go in for resin ( I buy 5 gallon pails off him every 3-5 weeks)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

All hope is not lost. :)
Since I used to work in the fiberglass plant, I have not forgotten how to make molds without the vaccuum press.

I have some ideas going, but it will have to wait until the weather warms up because my garage has no heat.

This evening it was 17F (-8.3C) in there when I went in to feed the cats (they have a cat door).
Thursday night it is supposed to get down to 13F (-10.5C).

For some odd reason, chemicals, resins, foam, etc. don't like to work as well in the cold as they do when it is warm, so this is going to delay my ideas by 2 or 3 months.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

muahahahah ;)
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have about 1000sq ft of open area to work out of in our 8000 sq ft building and we do fiberglass work our mobile darkroom shells once or twice a week so there is no worrying about "stinking up the place"

(mobile darkroom is like a camper without any windows so that they can process radiographic film hours away from the nearest town or camp)

Hey cliff, are you familair with the newer resins like Vinyl Ester?

My guy who runs a local fiberglass store said it's really great stuff.

He made three hockey pucks...one from Vinyl Ester, one from Epoxy and one from standard polyester resin.

The first puck (polyester) shattered on impact with the cement wall.
The second puck (Epoxy) didn't shatter but large pieces cracked off it until there was next to nothing left.
The third puck (vinyl ester) didn't break at all, just tiny little chips on the edges of the puck.
He said he slapped it around the shop for the whole summer
(he plays hockey in the back when nothings going on)

I really like the Kevlar/Carbon fiber fabric from this place.....
http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html

Their prices are pretty good on somethings and horrible on others but they have a nice selection of products.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Camper without any windows?
Did Michael Jackson have one at the Neverland Racnch??

hahahahaha

No, I'm 9 years out of touch with doing fiberglass work, so I will be researching while the weather is cold, so that when it is warm enough, I will be ready to get back to making things.

That vinyl ester resin sounds like it would be great for making body parts, but how does it stand heat, such as being above an engine on a hot summer day, such as in Nevada or Arazona?

I'm going to have a good look around that link you posted.

Thanks!

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Camper without any windows?
Did Michael Jackson have one at the Neverland Racnch??Cliff
:? I don't get it :?

Our mobile darkrooms are so that customers can develop radiographic shots of pipe right on the site as opposed to driving back to their office lab. We have sold over 400 now (@ $8000 each) and we are thinking about moving our business into the USA since we have about 97% of all sales in Canada.

I'm not sure about the heat but I would imagine it's good as I've allready looked at a couple of Carbon fiber hoods where the manufacturer actually went out of their way to announce the type of resin they used.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Erfinder wrote:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Camper without any windows?
Did Michael Jackson have one at the Neverland Racnch??Cliff
:? I don't get it :?
It was an attempt at a bad joke.

Michael Jackson with a camper that has no windows so no one can see the little boys inside with him.

LOL[/list]
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

I met guyswho just have opened a new tuning garage. They will make apart from turbos etc. stuff from carbon fiber. Thay said, that if I can manage to gather five people or more the hood will cost about 450 $
Image Image
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

Thats good!! :)

Count me in for sure!!

Just let me know how you want the payment when you are ready !

Mat 8)
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

If I get 5 people than the price will be very atractive, I will give them my hood to take the design from it and thay will make couple on hoods. I think that we will agree the payment with them, I mean that if some of you guys will want hoods you will pay straight to them.
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The price sounds reasonable but I have to ask if these guys have any experience making hoods.

Anybody can make one, but it takes experience to make a good, long lasting one.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a hood shipped all the way from Poland to Canada or the USA.

I'd also be worried about it getting damaged along the way.
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

i might be in for the CF hood as long as they are like 500 or less and they have got to be good quality, maybe not ViS, but at least decent and doesnt look like it was cut out with scissors like some i have seen.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

1. They are good in what they do
2. how can it be damaged during transport ? I mean, you can jump on carbon fiber and nothing will happen to it :)
3. Yeah the cost of transport can be shitty high, someone has to check what are the costs.
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Maximus wrote:2. how can it be damaged during transport ? I mean, you can jump on carbon fiber and nothing will happen to it :)
Have you ever try to jump in one? :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph