Low gas milage

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Aneab
Expert

Low gas milage

Post by Aneab »

I'm getting horrible gas milage out of my 2.0L Nubira engine... I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what to check out... but first here's a list of what i've done:
-replaced a bad Camshaft Position Sensor
-Used Seafoam on the engine
-Changed the oil
-Cleaned the throttle body

I was wondering what else i could do to try to fix this... My check engine light isn't on, but obviously something isn't performing as i'm getting only 12-16 MPG... The car before i got it, was very poorly treated... (My step dad doesn't know how to treat a car) Regular maitenece wasn't followed and stuff broke, and was never fixed... Mainly the engine has been in fair condition up until just before i got it, when it sat outside for over a year without being drivin...

Any ideas? Anything might help at this point...

Thanks
~Kyle
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

try running some cleaner though it, like 3 or 4 bottles (not at the same time)
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Any suggestion on what type of cleaner?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

fuel injector/fuel system cleaner

http://www.stp.com/fuel_complete.html
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I used Seafoam's version of that same stuff...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

supposedly cleans the same areas... So should i use the same stuff more? I've heard of many people having sucess with just 1/3 of a bottle of seafoam. (injected through brakelines as instructions say you can use it)

I'll be trying it tonight again, seeing if much more comes out of having done it... I'm doubting it though.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

answering those questions will help us all finding out your problem

1- kms/miles on the car.
2- ignition system serviced kms (spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack).
3- fuel system serviced kms (injectors, filter, pump).
4- air filter serviced kms.
5- engine mods list if available.
6- exact discription for the problem.
7- associated charactristics for the problem (when car hot, goes over 60 mph, turning left, A/C on,etc...)
8- CEL status (on, off, blinking) and prefferably the DTC code you got after the OBD scan in case the CEL is on/blinking.
9- any recent engine service done even if it is a very routine one.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

mmamdouh wrote:answering those questions will help us all finding out your problem

1- kms/miles on the car.
69500miles (approx 111850 km)
2- ignition system serviced kms (spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack).
No idea... =/ Although the spark plug wires look to have never been replaced... I'm assuming that for a lot of things too and will be replacing them as well, such as Oxygen sensors and other designed-to-be-replaced parts.
3- fuel system serviced kms (injectors, filter, pump).
Also no idea...
4- air filter serviced kms.

it's brand new with about 1000MI (approx 1609km) on it...
5- engine mods list if available.
none
6- exact discription for the problem.
Just plain poor gas milage...
7- associated charactristics for the problem (when car hot, goes over 60 mph, turning left, A/C on,etc...)
It's constant, whether driving hot, over 60, AC on and off.
8- CEL status (on, off, blinking) and prefferably the DTC code you got after the OBD scan in case the CEL is on/blinking.
Always Off (previously always on, but found out it was caused by my Camshaft Position Sensor so i replaced it fixing that problem)
9- any recent engine service done even if it is a very routine one.
I have absolutely no idea what happened prior to my getting the car (basically for free) from my step dad... He gave no records, and never told me what was done, I DO however know that at about 63,000miles (101,388km) the car had ceased to run... Something wasn't allowing the car to start at all, the problem was fixed, and after asking about what it was my step dad told me he'd forgotten. the only other engine work that has been done since then has been the replacement of the camshaft position sensor, as well as changing the oil and using seafoam to clean the engine...
oddball7

Post by oddball7 »

buy new spark plugs and wires.
check timing. (adjust if needed)
run a tank full of gas wiht a bottle of Techron or Lucas fuel system cleaner (both have worked well for me on my miata, woo and honda).
check tire pressure.
check for any vacum/ hose leaks under hood.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

One thing can cause that bad of milage EGR valve. pull it off and make sure it's clear, and not clogged up with carbon. if your engine wasn't tuned when it should have been, exessive carbon buildup can clog the egr an passages
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it seems you got nothing faulty in your car... i recommend a spark plug and spark plug wires replacment and a good look at your fuel filter (replace if needed) along with injector cleanup and intake cleanup as well.

also check your Idling Air Controler if it is dirty as well as the EGR valve (make sure it is not stuck open) also check your tires pressure and alignment as well as sticky brake calipers.

i don't know how to check the fuel pressure regulator but if it is bad it could lead to spraying too much fuel.

keep us posted.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
vjx987
Junior

Post by vjx987 »

yeh i was getting that along with the jerking every one else got, bottles of injector cleaner did it for me. i use it now every 3/4 tanks.
'98 Daewoo Leganza SX
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I got new plugs tonight, replaced them and also imput some injector cleaner in my gas tank, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I really hope these things work.

~Kyle
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

i normaly only just use seafoam,

seafoam the oil about 200 or so miles before you change it to help clear up some built up gunk.

topend is awsome to do with all the smoke.

and normaly i over kill my gas (2-3x strengh) the sea foam in to it. run all that gas out and pull the ecu fuse (drive side kick panel on the lanos prolly the same for yours) let it reset should help a little with that.

also changing your filer could be a good idea and help restore more power

best thing for fuel economy is ease off the gas.
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Yeah I know, going fast doesn't help fuel economy... I don't normally push my car at all... And if i don't, i normally get about 13mpg city and 16~ish for highway... ( I drove off a full tank of gas just going back and forth across the city for my parents )... So pushing the car isn't whats causing such low MPG...

Seafoam is awesome though, it cleared up a rough idle i had when i first bought it and used it. Good stuff. Had success in a friends car as well. We put it through the brake booster line as it was quicker to see results, just had to be more careful of the amount i put in at once... But all in all great product so far that i've seen
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

i had a broken thermostat and that made my car chew fuel, fixing that gave me better economy and performance
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."