1:BILLION Chance of this crap happening!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daftmajin
Expert

1:BILLION Chance of this crap happening!

Post by daftmajin »

Alternator/power steering belt jumped off its pulley into the timing cover and knocks off the timing by a few degrees and BOOM! blown head and about 10 bent valves! Shitty thing is that this is my 2nd motor and it only had about 31,000 miles on it! I got the motor when it had 24,000 miles and it cost me $500 with a 12 month warranty. I doubt the warranty will cover this since it was an outside component that broke the motor. Daewoo has disappointed me too many times. I am thinking of getting out of the Woo scene. :cry: Might buy a Reno or drop the Sunbird GT motor in the Lanos but I will probably regret using the 1.6L DOHC again. I really dont understand how this could happen, I love my car but I think it hates me.
Last edited by daftmajin on Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

damn dude that really sux balls. if you do decide to scrap it then let me get some stuff off of it. i was gonna send those decals this week since my schedule changed and i have more time now. if you still want them i'll send them down. but definately let me know what your gonna do. hell if you plan on getting rid of it all together i might know someone that might take it and turn it into a sound competition car.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

???

i still dont get it
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
ghettojim

Post by ghettojim »

My bros daewoo leganza has 80,000 miles on it.You buying lemons?
2002 daewoo leganza
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

lanos2001 wrote:damn dude that really sux balls. if you do decide to scrap it then let me get some stuff off of it. i was gonna send those decals this week since my schedule changed and i have more time now. if you still want them i'll send them down. but definately let me know what your gonna do. hell if you plan on getting rid of it all together i might know someone that might take it and turn it into a sound competition car.

nick
Yeah, send em down the car is being worked on right now. Hopefully we can get the motor replaced under warranty.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i'll send them tomorrow then. well if the belt flew off then who put the belt on? if it was them or if they got the engine like that then it should still be under warrantee.

nick

daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

The time belt didn't fly off, the alternator belt did. Then it went under the timing cover and broke the timing belt. The timing belt was the oringinal that came on the new motor (24,000 miles when I dropped it). The company I bought the motor from says "You are supposed to replace the timing belt prior to dropping the motor." Although it doesn't say this in writing anywhere on the invoice. Plus it only had 24,000 miles on it so why should the belt be replaced? Hopefully they will give in.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

did they put in the engine for you? if they did why didn't they change it then? plus what does the a/c belt slipping off and breaking the timing belt have to do with it if it was old or new. either way it would've broken it. i'd take their asses to court with all that crap.

nick

daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

We didn't tell them that the alternator belt is the cause for the timing belt to break. If we did then they definately would not warantee it because the alternator belt is an outside component from the motor. For example: if something flies up under my hood from the road and puts a hole in the motor, they wouldn't warantee it because it was something from outside the motor that caused the problem. The person that dropped my motor in is a good friend of mine who owns a transmission shop and who has dealt with LKQ (the company I purchased my replacement from) before. If LKQ gives in and replaces the motor, it will probably be one with a billion miles on it, so I think I will just buy the parts I need to fix this motor and do it myself with the help of my dad. LKQ is a group of hardasses that don't want to honor warrantees. PERIOD
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

as for valves and stuff like that Tom has all that stuff now. as for "blown head" do you mean gasket or the head itself? if you got your old engine just get the head off of that then. i just can't beleive that it happened again. that really sux. oh and i forgot to send the decals yesterday. put them in my car so tomorrow i should be able to send them off.

nick

daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

Yeah Tom and ebay have valves so looks like that part is covered. HEad gasket is on ebay too. My old head should be good (lol), if not I'll get this one rebuilt.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

so any updates yet on the how the engine is?

nick

cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

My 1.5 engine has 180,000-odd km on it, so 108,000 miles or so. Still goin strong, needed a new head gasket at 175,000kms but I treat it like shit.
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thats a releaf... i treat my car as hell too (driving wise) but i am keeping a very srticked maintenance schedule so i guess it is still in a pretty good shape knowing that i only got 66,300 kms on my 1.5 SOHC.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

lanos2001 wrote:so any updates yet on the how the engine is?

nick
Rebuilt head, new valves, gaskets, and belts. She's all ready, haven't picked her up from my friend's shop yet. I 'll probably get the Woo back 2moro.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr