Spark Plug Leads

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ubuyau
Expert

Spark Plug Leads

Post by ubuyau »

So im looking for some performance spark plug leads since the replacement ones i have put on temporarily are worse than the OEM Daewoo ones i had on for 5 years. Ive decided on http://www.topgunleads.com.au/products1.html these.

The only question i have is they are available in 8.8 and 10mm sizes. What is the difference performance wise? The cost between the two isnt that much, so i just want to know if going to the 10mm leads has any performance benefits.

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

getting thicker leads will lead to less resistance and your sparks will be stronger but every thing has a limit.

i say going up to the 8.8 will make a difference but going all the way to 10 it is not worth it... our ignition system doesn't produce that much spark so it will be a wast of money unless you got some aftermarket ignition that produces much stronger sparks.

feedback from people that got 8.0 or 8.5 magnicor leads say the gains are noticable... no one ever got 10 (as far as i know) and i recon it will be too big for the OEM ignition.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Cool. Im guessing since electrical systems come down to resistance rather than size, so if they're the same resistance...

10mm leads would be huge across the front of the engine.

--Tim
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I picked up a set of Blue 8.8mm TopGun Pro Racing Custom Leads today for $100AU from a local autostore. There was a 4 day turnaround time but the wait was worth it.

The car revs more willingly and feels more responsive now. Definetly worth the money!

The 8.8mm leads only JUST sandwich into the stock lead holders...

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so those things are worth the money huh?... what about your spark plugs? are you using the OEM ones or some fancy platinum super 4 thing?

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I wouldnt have thought that leads would make a difference but I believe they did.

Im not using anything that fancy - just NGK V-Grooves BP6RE (Standard/Recommended heat range) - $3AU each. Im yet to try a different heat range in the VGrooves or the special platinum 4s or iridiums...

Ill post some pics up this weekend once everything is nice and clean!

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

good... i wantewd to get feedback on that 'cause i can see that super 4 spark plugs and all doesn't do much (if anything at all) for performance... apparently the wires do.

i replaced the OEM champions with NGK V grooved and they were very nice, then switched to Denso U shaped electrode and they were nice too but i liked the NGK more.

now i am using BOSCH super 4 and i felt no performance gains whatsoever... i also noticed that people who used those and said they do add to perfpormance are replacing bad spark plugs with those new ones and hince feel better performance.

i used the super 4 when i had only 4000 Kms on my denso so both are fairly new and that prooved what other people said about them spark plugs... they add no performance but lasts longer than regular spark plugs, a friend tryed them super 4 on his woo and replaced the OEM 9000Kms champion spark plugs (he was complaning about them since he got them) and he felt more performance... people who feel extra performance started off with bad sdpark pligs in the first place.

finally with your feedback i can say it is better to spend the mony on bigger spark plug wires than to get fancy spark plugs.

MMamdouh
KIMO

Post by KIMO »

i tried use Bosch WR7dc it is good i prefer it more than NGK bpr6es because it is just made in germany.
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

well i have denso iridium iw16 and they have prove to be as good as the name
43som

Post by 43som »

9mm would be optimum.
I run 10mm which are custom made.
these would cost 160 bucks aussie.
but top gun leads are prob second best, custom are quality tested and built to suit obviously...they also export too :wink:
SoulReaver

Post by SoulReaver »

im getting some money together right nor for a set of topgun 8.8mm and then a set of NGK iridium plugs... $153 all up :(