Lanos failed to start!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

panther

Lanos failed to start!

Post by panther »

Today I experienced a weird fault with my otherwise very reliable 1998 Lanos sohc. After a run it failed to re-start when I next came to use it. I switched on the ignition and could here the usual fuel pump prime noise but trying to start the engine it would only spin over without attempting to fire. I then noticed that no instrument lights were lit when the ignition was on and no chime from the seat belt warning buzzer.

I checked every single fuse (from the fuse box under the bonnet and also inside the car) but none were blown or loose. I then tried the ignition again and this time the instrument lights lit up and the car started first time! Does anyone know what could cause this as I'm now a bit apprehensive about driving the car in case it happens again and I'm left stranded away from home.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i had the same problem. did you check your battery terminals? mine kept coming loose every once in a while so i just bought new types of terminals that gripped it a lot better. ever since then now problem unless it was my fault :oops: basically just check to see if its loose at all or just wiggle the thing and try to start it.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
panther

Post by panther »

Yes, checked the battery terminals and they were tight. It also has an extra earth cable fitted. I did read an article about Lanos recalls and one of the faults mentioned is a wiring harness beneath the carpet could be damaged by passenger traffic, affecting engine drivability and the engine could stall. However mine drove perfect and the fault only showed when it came to re-start the car.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i forgot about that recall since it didn't pertain to my woo. well i guess take out the passenger seat then and pull up the carpet to see if it has been cut into then. other than fuses, battery, battery terminal, alternator i'm kinda clueless. can you take it to a shop like autozone or some place that'll check your battery and alternator to make sure they're working fine?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
tango

Post by tango »

It could also have been a bad relay of some sort. They are mechanical devices and can jam later in their life-cycle.
Cogito ergo sum...
panther

Post by panther »

Well I think I've found what the problem was. Although I checked all the fuses yesterday I had another look today at the fuse panel on the left hand side passenger kick panel. (Mine is a UK spec RHD Lanos).

Next to the fuses are several multiplug connectors. I noticed that one of the big connectors was not fully pushed into place. I replicated the fault by slightly pulling this multiplug and the symptoms was exactly the same as what happened yesterday. The instrument panel did not light up on ignition but all the other electrical equipment worked and the car would spin over but not fire. I made sure this multiplug was properly in place and everything was ok again.

I can only think that by testing all the fuses yesterday I inadvertently knocked this multiplug which made contact with the terminals and is why the car started after I had checked the fuses.
Max

Post by Max »

Good experience !!

Pictures pls.