Lanos Squeling sound

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

delphis
Expert

Lanos Squeling sound

Post by delphis »

Whenever I start up my car it squels very loud for about 10-15 seconds and usually when I am doing in town driving it will sound like it is going to start doing it but when I accelerate the sound disappears.

I just replaced my timing belt about 2 months ago and the sound started about a month or so ago, when I open up my hood and listen for the sound it sounds like it is comming from the timing belt itself, but the timing belt has the same tension that it had when the old one was on.

Would it be safe for my to spray some lubricating agent(WD40) on to the gears of the timing belt or would that case the belt to slip off and do damage to my valves?
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

did you replace your alternator belt during the timing belt job?? if you did then the belt expanded a little and needs to be retensioned.

usually this happens with new belts replacment and accordingly you have to check the A/C and alternator belt tension after 1,000 Km or 1 month of replacment to companciate for the expansion.

i don't recommend WD 40 on the belt, instead use a little axel greas on the suspected belt and it should cure the problem for a short time till you get the tension issue sorted out.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

yes I did replace the alternator belt when I did this job, how would I go about tightening just the altenator belt?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

their is a 12mm bolt on top of the alternator, loose it a little so you can slide the alternator a bit further towards the fire wall then tighten the 12mm bolt again.

it might be helpful to remove the rubber hose connecting the intake to the air box so that it gives you more room to work.

also moving the alternator will be near impossible by hand, try to use a metal bar or so as a liver... watch out where your liver wrests so you don't break any parts of the engine.

don't over torque the belt, it might cause the belt to wear out or damage the alternator bearings. (by bearings are already toasted because of extra tension).

MMamdouh
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

great thanks man!!!!! my friend told me when I was tightening it that the belt shouldn't be able to do a 1/4 turn of the belt when it is tight, do you think that is accurate?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't know where your friend got that info but according to my manual (for my 1.5 SOHC) it says that if you applied a 10Kgm lifting force on the middle of the belt - between the alternator and power steering pump - then the belt should only move upwards to a max. of 10mm.

not sure how can you do that practically but i used my fingure as a hook and grabbed the belt and keept on pulling till i felt a risistance sililar to a 10Kgm bag of groceries then i watched how far the belt went.

it sounds stupid but it is effective... could be helpful to carry a 10Kgm bag with your fingure to simulate the kind of forec you have to use.

MMamdouh
wooskiMN

Post by wooskiMN »

my 1.6DOHC has been doing the same thing...do you have a big stereo amp in your car? i have a 900watt rockford and no capacitor. the constant strain burned out my alts bearing....thats what my mech. said.
01 Woo
full exaust
intake
rims
chco chip
rsb stage 2
fsb
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

well I do have a 500w rockford fausgate amp in my car, but the thing was is my friend and I just replaced my timing and altenator belts and the altenator belt had stratched out and needed to be retightetend and I just fixed it yesterday and the sound is now gone.