corroded head :(

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

SoulReaver

corroded head :(

Post by SoulReaver »

i had a closer look at my head today and realised that there is a little bit of corrosion between a water channel and an oil channel. one thing led to another and there was water in my oil and the car was misfiring. Does anyone know about welding heads??? would it be as strong as before if it got welded???

i take good care of my car (except for the whole thrashing it bit) and im pretty sure that this little corroded bit couldnt have been avoided because the people who owned it before didnt take care of it (grinded 2nd gear alot, let it overheat, didnt use proper coolant) but can i expect the head to deteriorate further, even if i look after it?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't know all that much about welding heads but I would think that it would need to be machined after welding.... which will increase the compression.

Prior to machining the head you will want to find out how much clearance you have between the valves and the piston so that the machine shop knows how much they can take off without causing interference.

If you ask me.... the process of welding and machining would probably cost you more than it would if you purchased a "damaged" cylinder head from a car that had it's timing belt broken.

You should be able to use the valves and other parts from your good head to make it work with minor work ( you will need to have the valves and seats ground )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos