tranny fluid comming out of trans vent tube.

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

burples10

tranny fluid comming out of trans vent tube.

Post by burples10 »

Hello all. I am glad I found this forum. I know my fiance is too since she drives our Daewoo to work.

I have an issue with my 2000 Lanos hatchback that just arose friday. The car has an automatic tranny. My family made a trip this week in the car for about 500 miles one way. On the way back home, the service engine light started blinking, so I pulled over at a rest stop to check it. Well the only thing I found was an issue with the tube comming from the trans fill hole. It had started spouting fluid out all over the place. By the time I saw it, the
fender well that hose runs down was soaked with fluid. So I went down
to a local gas station off the interstate to get some tranny fluid to
top it off, to try to make it the rest of the way home. Well I put in
about 1/2 quart of fluid and cleaned up some of the area where the
fluid had drained out on the fender. I started back on the road and
stopped again after about 50 miles to see how it was doing, and it had
already poured fluid on the area I had cleaned again, the the fluid
was just dripping from the fender well. But the service engine light did turn off after I filled it upi and stayed off the rest of the way home. I do not know what could be the issue. It is like pressure is pushing the fluid out of the tube going into the fill cap. The tranny shifted fine the whole way home, but the fluid just kept flowing out. I was thinking it may be a
stopped up filter or something, but I do not know. The manual says
under normal driving conditions, the fluid and filter never needs to
be changed. And we never drive the car hard so I do not know if it
requires it. Plus the fluid that is comming out of the hose still
looks good. I am hoping it may be something simple, but I can not
drive it until this is fixed. It is just spitting out too much fluid,
plus it is getting everywhere. I appreciate any help I can get with
this as soon as possible, because my finace needs the car for work.

BTW sorry for the format of the post. I just pasted my message here from a group I am with. They were also the ones who pointed me to this forum. Thanks for any help you can give.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

glad you have joined man... i hope you can find this forum as beneficial as i did.

as for the problem i guess it is a hose or so that is cracked... i am not an auto tranny expert so perhaps someone with better knowledg can be more helpful.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
burples10

Post by burples10 »

Thanks for the welcome man. Yeah I do not know what it could be. The tube it is comming out of is fine though. It looks like it is just a vent tube, but now it is squirting out fluid. Unless there is another hose somehere I do not see that is causing higher pressure than normal, which is causing the fluid to come out of the vent tube.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well, maybe the fluid that came with the tranny was crappy and now sludge has formed in your tranny and filter.

However, it is pretty rare to hear of an Automatic Tranny Daewoo with transmission problems.

At any rate, it is not difficult to change the filter/gasket. They cost like $20 + Fluid and takes maybe 35 minutes to change.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

runs some auto tranny cleaner and seal conditioner in it then drain and change the filter. then replace with new fluid. sounds like you have slude clogging a passage or a weak seal
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
burples10

Post by burples10 »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah first thing I thought was tranny filter. But on other cars when it stops up, it usually shifts hard, and mine is shifting fine. But I am going to replace it anyways to be sure if it is that cheap. Can you get it at most parts stores? Because I tried a while back to find some tune up parts at autozone with no luck. But yeah once I get one, it should not be too hard to put on, and I hope it helps. I just never heard of a stopped up filter doing this, but again this is my first daewoo too. And I am glad to hear that the trannys are usually pretty dependable.
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

Yeah, well teh tranny is a gm tranny, so the part shoudn't be too hard to get, I don't think it is that , did you add fluid to it before you left, or anytime before, cause if you over fill it it will vent the excess
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
burples10

Post by burples10 »

richardmatalon wrote:Yeah, well teh tranny is a gm tranny, so the part shoudn't be too hard to get, I don't think it is that , did you add fluid to it before you left, or anytime before, cause if you over fill it it will vent the excess
No the fluid is what came in it when I bought it last year. The manual stated it did not need to be filled or changed under normal driving and if there is no leak. And we drive it normal and it did not have a leak. And it does not come with a dipstick, so I would not know the fill line anyways. I only added some the other day when it started pouring out. I just added by eye according to how much had leaked out on the car. And yeah for the filter. I just looked it up on autozone' page and they carry it. I just want to make sure I am looking in the right areas for the repair, instead of throwing parts at it, you know. I just find it odd that it had ran good the whole time. It never gave any sign of a filter stopping up or anything. They tranny still runs normal. I would not have known right away at all, if the service engine light did not start blinking and I opened the hood and saw it. But after I topped of the fluid, the light went off and stayed off. But adding the fluid did not change anything else. Tranny still ran the same and was still pouring fluid out the tube. One thing I was thinking though when I was looking at it today is where the tube is placed. It was elevated comming out of the fill cap and laying on the fender well at the firewall. Could being elevatedthat high cause this. I know in some cases, they will pull fluids if they are elevated high.
burples10

Post by burples10 »

Well I tried my theory of relocating the tube to a lower elevation spot to see what happens. I put a paper towel below it to catch the fluid to see how much was leaking and I had my fiance drive it today to work. Well it still leaked out after the relocation, but it does not appear to be a large amount comming out. But she only drove it 27 miles to work though. I am going to do the trans flush and filter and fluid change thurs and see if it helps. If that does not work, then I am out of ideas. I just know I will not put alot of money into it for repairs. I would just trade it in first. But I really do not want to do that since I paid cash for it and there is no car payment attached.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Welcome burples10,

A blinking MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) means your car has a serious problem that can be exhaust gas emission related or immediate danger for your engine/transaxle.
Find someone with a OBD error code reader to have your car scanned. Even if the MIL is no more blinking the error code is still stored for a time in the computer's car. Knowing the error code is a good investigation starting point.

Daniel
burples10

Post by burples10 »

Daniel wrote:Welcome burples10,

A blinking MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) means your car has a serious problem that can be exhaust gas emission related or immediate danger for your engine/transaxle.
Find someone with a OBD error code reader to have your car scanned. Even if the MIL is no more blinking the error code is still stored for a time in the computer's car. Knowing the error code is a good investigation starting point.

Daniel
Well I think it was due to the fact that it ran low on fluid. It cleared after I filled it up. The emmisions and everything else were replaced a couple of months back under warranty. So all of the emmision parts are brand new. But if it still stores the code, I will get it checked. I know on my GM's, once the code clears it can not be read still, unless it is a hard code.
burples10

Post by burples10 »

I was talking to some of my friends today in the automotive circle, and they said it may be overheating and has a stopped up trans cooler. Does this car have a tranny cooler? I never really looked to see if it has one.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yup, if you follow the lines coming from the front right of the transmission, you will see they end up at a black plastic cylinder on the driver's side of the radiator. That is the cooler.

It is very possible that the cooler is blocked, maybe from debris or sludge.
restino

tranny fluid leaking out

Post by restino »

my tranny fluid is leaking out from that block area or at the hose connections where they go into the tranny side by side. not sure yet.

A - if you have time i would like to ask you how this cooler can be cleaned? or do i need to buy another one? how does it fit on the radiator. is it screwed on? any ideas?

B - how can i see if the tranny has enough fluid? there is no dipstick. when i use a flashlight to look inside its empty all the way down to the metal as far as i can tell. do i fill it all the way up until the threads are gone?

C - what type of fluid do i use?

D - also, is there anyplace good on the internet that has documents on how to fix daewoo lanos 2000 problems?

E - my check engine light is one, do you think it could be becuase of the low or missing tranny fluid?

thanks for any information you can give!