Need help with my oil light

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Jesse18873

Need help with my oil light

Post by Jesse18873 »

Ok I have noticed that every time when i'm at a stop sign, the check oil light comes on, and then when I accelerate, it goes off. What can be done 2 fix this? I know it's not dirty oil because I just got through changing it today.
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

your oil pump might need to be changed, but I would first change the oil sensor it might be faulty. But definately wort hooking up a guage to it to see where the oil pressure is
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

thanx, i'll call my mechanic
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this could be:

1- faulty oil pressure signal unit.
2- faulty oil pump.
3- low oil vescosity as in using the wrong grade or so. (had that when i used low vescosity oil on my VW beetle)

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

You may also want to flush the engine with your next oil change.

What grade of oil do you usually run?

Post by tango »

You definitely have an oil pressure issue. I am thinking that perhaps your oil strainer (located inside the oil pan) is blocked with sludge. You'll need to remove the oil pan to check this however. I had this happen to me. Not a pretty thing.

My solution to the problem was to have my mechanic clean the strainer and consequently use Havoline 10W/50 oil exclusively.
Cogito ergo sum...
Jesse18873

Post by Jesse18873 »

Ok, so if I remove the oil pan, do I need a new gasket?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yes... basicly any gasket is a "use once" product especially if it is subject to too much heat, pressure and if the gasket material is too hard (metal gasket or so).

MMamdouh
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

no you can use it again, I have before, just clean both the block and the oil pan and then use silicone on both sides of the gasket (which is teh windage plate) and u will be fine
just remember to start bolting it up from the inside and work u way out, u want to distribute the pressure evenly
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

richardmatalon wrote:no you can use it again, I have before, just clean both the block and the oil pan and then use silicone on both sides of the gasket (which is teh windage plate) and u will be fine
just remember to start bolting it up from the inside and work u way out, u want to distribute the pressure evenly
you can use it again, but if you are going to the effort of removing your oil pan you may aswell replace the gasket, which means there is one less problem for the future
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

richardmatalon wrote:no you can use it again, I have before, just clean both the block and the oil pan and then use silicone on both sides of the gasket (which is teh windage plate) and u will be fine
no one said you can't use it again... it is a bad idea though unless you like to do the same job twice. also the silicon idea doesn't work on all gaskets.

i got feedback from my mechanic that someone did that silicon thingy on an oil pan but the silicon was not dry enough so it got squerted into the oil pan, solidfied then got sucked by the oil pump, blocked the oil passage and caused an engine failure due to lack of oil... is it worth the risk?? i think not.

MMamdouh
tango

Post by tango »

Trust me...Daewoo gaskets of ALL types are weak at best. And those metal grommets in the oil pan gasket are notorious for shifting and biting into the composite material. A definite pain in my ass...
Cogito ergo sum...
PaulDriver

Post by PaulDriver »

Hey, I'm having this issue, and can't get the pan to drop, it's like it's hanging up on something.

Any hints?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

PaulDriver wrote:Hey, I'm having this issue, and can't get the pan to drop, it's like it's hanging up on something.

Any hints?
The pan is probably being sealed up by the gasket. Usually you have to pry those kinds of things off.
PaulDriver

Post by PaulDriver »

It's seperated from the gasket, drops about a 1/4" and then hangs on something