Exhaust resonator

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DArkstalker
Super

Exhaust resonator

Post by DArkstalker »

If I removed this would it affect performance any.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yes, as it would remove restriction. However, if you are just going to remove the resonator, you might as well do the whole exhaust and be done with it. You would have to cut it off and make a replacement pipe. you may as well just go all the way and have a custom exhaust made.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what about back pressure issues?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

I think the resonator not only for back pressure & to reduce noise
is it used also to make the exhaust stable with the engine's shaking?
you know that the engine when operate it shakes specialy in shifting while full throttle
is right or I understand this wrong?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the whole exhaust is for noise reduction and any resonator, muffler, CAT or even bends will lead to back pressure - in various levels per device - so you got to have back pressure if you have a stock exhaust.

less restrictive exhaust makes better flow which contributs to better high end power... lack of back pressure makes your low end power suffers so it is always a compromise.

MMamdouh
DArkstalker
Super

Post by DArkstalker »

mmamdouh wrote:the whole exhaust is for noise reduction and any resonator, muffler, CAT or even bends will lead to back pressure - in various levels per device - so you got to have back pressure if you have a stock exhaust.

less restrictive exhaust makes better flow which contributs to better high end power... lack of back pressure makes your low end power suffers so it is always a compromise.

MMamdouh
I have a performance muffler, but I want to make it louder thats the only reason I wanted to take it off.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it will get lowder but i don't know how much is that going to affect your back pressure.

MMamdouh
SoulReaver

Post by SoulReaver »

from what i know, resonators in the exhaust take away certain sound ranges from the exhaust note. On my cielo, the exhaust isnt as loud as some cars at high revs, but its still got a very loud, deep idle. If i didnt have the resonator it would scream at high revs. Also, they dont really detract from performance if you are worried about that. Its better to have a resonator than a car that is cop bait
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I am running no resonator now and it's too loud for my tastes. I'm going to look into getting a high flow resonator. I think that'll make me happy.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

i have no resonator with a 2.25 inch cat-back and seems that its not that loud compaired to my friends civic and he has the same thing different muffler through his is way too loud and high pitched my is nice and deep
2.0 engine swap in the works
tango

Post by tango »

The 1.5L SOHC Cielo DEFINITELY needs backpressure low down in order to preserve driveability. Watch how open you make that exhaust. Removing the resonator alone may not yield driveability woes, but if you start to increase the size of the rest of the exhaust you are likely to see bogging down on acceleration.
Cogito ergo sum...