timing belt

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lostinconformiti

timing belt

Post by Lostinconformiti »

well after 4 months of waiting my 1999 leganza sx's timing belt is fixed YAY! but there is now another problem it still wont start :evil: we had my head redone at my uncles machine shop. put everything back on to it every little bolt! does anyone know what the problem could be... i just want my car to work. i only got to drive it 1 time. :shock: :cry: thanks for your help guys. once i get it running i might get a ud pulley. :twisted:

thanks again.
soon to have my daewoo back on the road.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well will it turn over at all or make any noises? i don't think i'll be able to trouble shoot it for you but other people can but they'll need more info.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

make sure the points are lined up on the gears that the timing belt goes around, because even if they are 1 tooth off the engine won't start, this happened to my buddy and I when we did my timing belt.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
Lostinconformiti

it will crank but it just wont start. brand new battery i bought yesterday in it. brand new spark plugs. but ill have my uncle come over and double check the timing. when he brings the scanner over tonight to see if it has any ecu errors. is there anything else it could be?

thanks for your help guys.
Lostinconformiti

what are the gears supposed to be lined up with. some one please help i want to drive it tonight... just the cam gears is all i need to know i know where the crank is supposed to be aligned but me and my uncle need to be sure where the cams are supposed to be aligned. thanks guys.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

the two notches are supposed to be lined up. when you do that you might wanna do what this person did by marking the general spot on the cam for the future.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

no, the cam gear are not to be aligned together, that is only for the lanos, on the nubira and the leganza, the cam gear have marks on them, both of them are to be aligned with the notches on the valve cover, there are two marks on the valve cover, u need to align them with that, not each other.
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
Lostinconformiti

thanks guys. my car should be done tomorrow at some time after 8 me and my uncle are putting the finishing touches on it tomorrow and then we are going to try and start it again and it should work great!! then im going to go work that baby back in. slowly of course. we are 100% sure it was all a problem with the timing so he is checking the service manual at his shop and fixing it tomorrow.

thanks again guys.

BTW does anyone have a service manual for a leggy 2.2 sx that they can send me. thanks!!
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

this might sound a bit obvious, but is the imobiliser still on?? A mechanic i had work on my car once, had that problem
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
Lostinconformiti

i found the problem!!!

do you see what i see. my cam is broken straight in half. well going to earn money to buy a new exhast cam. shit....
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

It takes a lot of force to break such camshaft in half. The only I can imagine (unless the camshaft was faulty in the first place), is following:

- one of the valves, or lifters, is stuck in the closed position
- the lobe of the camshaft goes down, gets stoped agains the lifter....the cambelt keeps turning the camshaft, and the camshaft gives...

But this is the theory. See if you can push down (with a non-metal object - wooden stick will work fine) on the lifter and open the valve.

Tom

Post by MMamdouh »

360 Dynamics wrote: - one of the valves, or lifters, is stuck in the closed position
- the lobe of the camshaft goes down, gets stoped agains the lifter....the cambelt keeps turning the camshaft, and the camshaft gives...
Tom
isn't it more logical that in such case you would strip the rubber timing belt rather than breaking the metal shaft??

i would say this might be a problem with the insallation of the shaft where it was not sitting in a 100% strait position (tilted from the middle) and it broke due to the continous flexing while tring to turn the engine on.

i got to that conclusion because i see the breaking point is right next to the bearings housing or whatever that this part is called (the crack is right next to where the straigt part meets the tilted part of the shaft.

i hope i explaned that in a clear way for you all.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tango

Post by tango »

I'm gonna agree with Mohamed on this one. I think that instead of being the result of the broken cambelt, it CAUSED the cambelt to break.

Cogito ergo sum...
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

This may as well be a very probable reasoning too. I am not arguing :) But unless the camshaft was dropped, I dont see how it could bend. And I dont think the top end of a cylinder head can warp.

Tom

Post by Audacity Racing »

try this on for size...

oil failure... the bearing further down the camshaft could be siezed... and a new belt would be able to withstand the force required to sheer the metal... it's only cast steel...

do both ends spin freely?