13" to 14" OEM wheels swap

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

13" to 14" OEM wheels swap

Post by MMamdouh »

i am cosedering a 14" swap on my Lanos but after market 14" rims are too expensive for me so i thought i get a set of OEM 14" daewoo wheels and some 185/60/14 tires till i can afford to get them sport wheels.

some friends recommended against that saying that the14" wheels will be heavier and will cause my car to be slower... i don't know about that :roll:

can some one confirm if that the heavier wheels/tires will make me slower? also can someone kind enough to weight the OEM 14" wheels with inflated 185/60/14 tires?... by OEM i mean them ugly black rims.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Heavier rims will make your car slower to respond because the drivetrain has more mass to turn. However, I think that the 14" alloys weigh less than the 13" OEM steelies. I have the 14" and I have never considered them to be "that" heavy.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Even if the 14" wheels are the same weight as the 13" it will be slower like bosnianlanos said it has to do with the mass also.

Now i dont know if you'll feel it. This week i wanna try weighing my stock wheels and the wheels i have on now(15" and 17") and then go back to my old wheels for a bit to see if i feel a difference
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BosnianLanos wrote:Heavier rims will make your car slower to respond because the drivetrain has more mass to turn. However, I think that the 14" alloys weigh less than the 13" OEM steelies. I have the 14" and I have never considered them to be "that" heavy.
i wastalking about the 14" steelies as well... i guess this means it is going to be heavier... right?

MMamdouh
Adam454ss
Junior

wheels

Post by Adam454ss »

I assuming you checked the tire's side wall heighth on both kinds of tires. The Lanos must have a larger side wall percentage then the Nubira's, if not your speedo will be off. Since the Nubira is 185/60 14's then the Lanos, for example because I am not sure what the stock size is, should be 185/65or70 13's.
Getting back to your question of speed. It will be slower off the line but faster top end IF the tire/wheel size from the Nubira is bigger than the Lanos.
When in doubt, FLOOR it!!!
tango

Post by tango »

Even if the wheels weigh the same you may have issues nontheless. The contact patch of the 14 inch tyre will be greater than that of the 13 inch tyre. Therefore you will face additional rolling resistance (often most felt in increased steering effort). This will affect speed and acceleration, but help grip. Increased grip will also cause another downside...increased body roll. The car is designed to roll a bit then start to drift...if the tyres stay put, the torque-effect that is set up by the increased grip will cause the car to roll more.
Cogito ergo sum...
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I honestly do not think there's going to be any noticable differences from going from 13" to 14". It's not like going from 13" to 17". The weight would be very similar. Also, the profile of the tire would be smaller, so that saves some weight.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

as for the tire size difference between Nubira and Lanos, i am getting - if i decided to do this - a set of 185/60/14 tires for my car so the difference between those and the stock 175/70/13 that i already have is neglectable.

the Nubira comes stock with 14" rims and 185/65/14... if i got them tires i will have speedo deviation and less acceleration indeed.

i was after better grip indeed but i guess the body roll issues will be little as the Lanos already come with 185/60/14 tires on the 1.6 engine versions and no one complained about body roll... the suspension on the 1.5 SOHC is the same as the one on the 1.6 DOHC, right?

i am concerned though about the extra steer effort... my power steering is a bit heavy already and i don't know why :roll: those tires are going to make it harder i am sure.

MMamdouh
scarr
Junior

Post by scarr »

I'm not sure what everyone else's Lanos came stock with, but when I bought mine from the used-car dealership down here, it had those ugly black wheels with some horrid looking hubcaps on them. However, they were 14" wheels and had 185/60/14 tires.

Let me see if I can dig out a scale, (I'm one of those weird people who don't have one in the bathroom.) and I will weigh one for you since they are now just hanging out on my front porch in a nice 4' tower. They are also being used as a place to put cigarette butts now it seems.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so you are going to weight the metal rim only, no tires on it whatsoever... right?

MMamdouh
scarr
Junior

Post by scarr »

Yup considering 2 of the tires have faults that Discount Tire can't seem to find and the other two are so bald that they could be racing slicks, I'm going to remove all the tires from them.
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

mmamdouh wrote:as for the tire size difference between Nubira and Lanos, i am getting - if i decided to do this - a set of 185/60/14 tires for my car so the difference between those and the stock 175/70/13 that i already have is neglectable.

the Nubira comes stock with 14" rims and 185/65/14... if i got them tires i will have speedo deviation and less acceleration indeed.
The difference will be next to nothing. The stock 175/70/13 tires have an overall circumfrence is 71.1in, the 186/65/14 tires will be 73.7in, and the speedo will only be out by 3.6%, meaning when your speedo shows 60mph, your actually doing 62.2mph, which is rather acceptable. If you want to save some cash, just keep the tires from the other rims on and live with the 3% difference. You'll have some cash left over to save towards the REAL rims your looking for. :D
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
tango

Post by tango »

The contact patch is that area of the tyre that actually touches the road at a given moment. Stritly speaking that area is only about the size of the average palm. Increasing the diameter of the tyre will increase the longitudinal length of the contact patch. Widening the width of the tyre does the same to the contact patch. The increased grip will result in incereased steering effort. No matter how negligable it may seem, it is still there. When I moved from 175/60-13s to 185/60-13s I noticed the difference immediately. When I moved to 195/50-15s the difference was even starker.
Cogito ergo sum...
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Yeah, I'm not negating the fact that the contact patch will be bigger, I'm just saying that from a cost standpoint, and speedo point of view, the difference will be minimal, so that if the intention is to just grab these wheels until he can afford the rims he's really after, just live with the over sized tires and save some money.

I just went from 195/55/15's to 205/40/17, so I know all about contact patch and extra effort. :lol:
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

Is it "REALLY" going to make that much of a difference? I mean really? 13s and 14s.......I can better understand like 13s to 17s or 18s....but 14s....how much would he really be losing? Does anyone have any stats or measurements on this topic because I am interested in them if so. I was pondering the same thing not to long ago.