Am i Down shifting wrong?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woo
Expert

Post by woo »

AcingTeam wrote:Get an auto?? I refuse to get an auto till I'm 70!! lol
you never gone driving with a lady have you?? and im not talking about putting my arm round her, its what she be doing that makes manuals awkward.....
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i won't be even caught dead in an auto... maybe a tiptronic but not an auto.

i hate the way the car shifts at its own will and the elongated time it takes to downshift (AKA kickdown) and usualy an auto car is slower than a manual acceleration wise.

as for driving with a lady, it won't make any difference for me; in both cars she will be too busy praying for her life.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

mmamdouh wrote:i won't be even caught dead in an auto... maybe a tiptronic but not an auto.

i hate the way the car shifts at its own will and the elongated time it takes to downshift (AKA kickdown) and usualy an auto car is slower than a manual acceleration wise.

as for driving with a lady, it won't make any difference for me; in both cars she will be too busy praying for her life.

MMamdouh
in alot of cars these days the autos accelerate quicker then the manuals. Look at the XR6 turbo for example. Also all the competitive sreet drag cars over here are autos.
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

The manuals are more fun, are quicker, and look more sportier.

About driving with a girl, yes I have... but I don't do crazy stuff like getting road head for example.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

mmamdouh wrote: i guess you can go past the rev limiter if you downshift at too high RPM.. say if you are at 5000 RPM at 4th then you downshifted to third... i think you can go past the rev limiter and hurt your engine... right?

MMamdouh
Yes, thats how my old engine died. at 5500 in 3rd. then 2nd. when i realized my mistake i did press the clutch to get it in neutral but i saw the needle past the 7000 rpms. a couple of followers broke, a couple of damage valve, seats, etc., mostly head damage.

now i see the 7000 rpms on a daily basis :P :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

The only car I WOULD EVER GET in auto matic is the Gtr-34 and that's only if it's for dragging.

It's a 6-spd auto. tiptronic. so... 9000k rpms tip vrroom.

it's the same gears at the manual so... for everyday driving i'll have a standard... for the track i'd like a tipshift like that or paddle shift (steering wheel)
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I wouldnt be caught in manaul.. whats the fun? Its not like driving manual is even a pain.

As for the ride with a girl in the car thing... i would play with my car than my girl. Plus she gets jelous easy (the car).
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

KnightWalace wrote:The only car I WOULD EVER GET in auto matic is the Gtr-34 and that's only if it's for dragging.

It's a 6-spd auto. tiptronic. so... 9000k rpms tip vrroom.

it's the same gears at the manual so... for everyday driving i'll have a standard... for the track i'd like a tipshift like that or paddle shift (steering wheel)
yeah... maybe i might conceder beeing caught in that car... the other - standard - ones suck.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Come on..

Even if not the Skyline...

Wouldn't it be much more fun to drive the Bugatti Veyron as a stick.

Seriously 7 gears(not including reverse) 252mph top speed... 9k rpm redline... now thats what i call fun... and my lanos was an auto ... boo..

My lancers a stick.

the only downside to a manual is if you get it second hand and the douche before you couldn't drive a standard! (current problem... gearbox might be shot from improper shifting.. i made the 52 yr old mechanic speechless at my shifting techniques... so they're going to honor my warranty)...
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.