Optra 5spd Turbo (monster T3/T04E)

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Optra 5spd Turbo (monster T3/T04E)

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:D :( :D :( :D :( :D :( :D :(

Well.... today has been a day of highs and lows.

First thing this morning I was really pissed off and sad because I figured my turbo was lost for ever. :(

Then I came home to find a message from an old lady a few houses down saying that she had a package adressed to me. :D

I opened it and it's awesome.... one of the guys at the tuner shop noticed where the turbonetics insignia was ground off which indicates it's a really decent turbine and has quality internal parts.

So I was so happy that I drove to my shop, pulled my Forenza engine out of my shed and slapped on all the parts.

Now.... I'm not so happy..... my monster T3/T4 does not fit ... it hits part of the block where the oil dipstick is located :(

I'm sure a regular T3 works just great (I've seen pictures) but my big ass turbo won't work without some modifications to the manifold.

The manifold T3 flange is angled into the block so as to give lots of clearance between the radiator fans and the turbine housing.

So if I shave off this angle so it's flat my turbo will fit without interfering with the block but it will be an inch closer to the radiator.... I might have to buy some nice low profile performance fans to make it fit.

Oh well.... I guess I should have gone with something smaller.

Originally I was going to get a GT28RS and make an adapter for it so that it would fit onto the manifold's T3 flange but this other turbo was so cheap that I couldn't pass it up.

I should take a picture of the T25 next to my new turbo..... it has to be atleast 2" wider in diameter than the T25.... it makes this T3/T04E look like it belongs on a diesel truck!

I will keep everyone updated as things progress.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

thats awesome news! take lots of pics... and have lots of update.. especialy as it comes togather.

btw how is precisionboost coming along?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Precision boost is in a holding pattern..... I've been to busy doing other stuff....like moving to a new house.

I still have to get my business licence before I can start selling stuff.... and I have to get some insurance..... everything else is taken car of.

I did make a batch of MSD driver boards and yet again I've found another addition that I'd like to add based upon a sugestion by Tom while I was testing the first board this afternoon ( he suggested a green LED for power and a red one to show that it's triggering properly )

So.... I'm going to sell these ones off cheap and make another set of boards in the near future.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

sell me the old type for a really good price and i'll buy in a heart beat. reserve one for me.
got drift?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

:D

Thats some good news!!!

we need pictures :wink:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

if you take pictures of your big turbo im not taking pictures of my turbo... its little :) its about the size of a 16gs turbo
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Woohoo but the 16gs is not that small...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i know but i will feel like a peewee next to chris :lol:
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

woohoo its not a boosting contest. its not the size of the turbine but the performance it gives. :lol: sorry couldn't resist

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Well nick... in this case, SIZE does matter lol
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:woohoo its not a boosting contest. its not the size of the turbine but the performance it gives. :lol: sorry couldn't resist

nick
LOL :lol:

@Efrain: Nick's point of view is that size does not matter, the "performance" does. lol :lol: :lol:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it doesn't matter what you got, it only matters what you can do with it :twisted:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

hell... you might even say that chris' is just to big :roll:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... most people know what a standard T25 is so I put my new turbo next to it to show the size difference.

Here is the TO4E compressor vs T25 compressor...

Here is the T3 turbine vs T25 turbine...

Like I said before.... this turbo is a little large for a 2.0L ..... it would be perfect for a 2.4L

I have to design or purchase a programable boost controller as I have to control the boost levels at several different RPM levels.

I can't make more than 12psi at 3000 RPM and I can't make more than 15psi at 4000 RPM.

If I exceed either of these I will run into compressor surge which is very very bad for the turbo.... it's been known to snap the shaft connecting the turbine to the compressor.

I can't hit my goal boost of 18psi until roughly 4500 RPM.

Still.... 18psi at 3000RPM would be way too much power.... so a progressive gain should make the car very decent to drive on the street.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I assembled the turbo onto the manifold and it actually goes onto the studs all the way on the left side.

The compressor hits the block where the oil dipstick is sitting when the manifold is about 1/4" from the surface.

So the good news is that I can fix it by adding a 1/4" spacer plate.

Just to make sure there is a little extra clearance I'm probably going to make the plate out of 1/2" mild steel or stainless steel.

Given the TO4E compressor is huge I'm sure the standard T3 the kit was meant for would fit with clearance to spare.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos