machining

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woo
Expert

machining

Post by woo »

at the moment my leganza is in a few places. The auto is getting rebuilt and so is the head, due to the timing belt. (the bottom end was done in december). Anyways, the head place say they are going to machine the head. After confering with my mechanic friend, he says they are going to shave it. Is this so?? I would like it if they shaved my cylinder head so i can get some more compression, but is that what they are doing, or are they machining anything else?
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
SoulReaver

Post by SoulReaver »

machining the head just means they are making it flat... i had it done to my old falcon and to the cielo when the head gasket blew. they just take off a teeny little but to make sure that it sits nicely ontop of the headgasket. im sure if you want then to take a little more off they could probably do that for you.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i concur with SoulReaver but i have to say that shaving too much from the head can make valve/piston clerance issues so be careful with what you do.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I agree with mmamdouh, there is only so much you can shave due to 2 problems:

1) valve clearance (rarely an issue, as the pistons do go down when they open)
2) change of timing. By lowering the head, the effective timing between the bottom and the cylinder head does change. If you want to increase the compression (by shaving quite a bit off the cylinder head), you should remember the timing will change as well. They way to rectify it, is to get some camgears, which are not widely available for the 2.0/2.2 engines.

Tom