loose shifter

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

orangelmo

loose shifter

Post by orangelmo »

hey everyone. my shifter seems to be loose, well its been like that for a while but as of late its really got a lot more movement. i was wondering what should i do to get all that extra movement gone
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

make sure its really tight. My old stock shifter was loose always.. but never got worst over time
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

try to use super glue or something... they way people discribed how you should remove the knob shows that their is no screws or threading whatsoever to hold it in place, so simply you got to glue it with some really good glue.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

its not the knob thats loose mmamdouh. if thats what you are referring to, its the actual stick itself. in gear or even in neutral, you can sway the stick a fair bit from side to side or up and down. i think its also cause for some vibrations i hear in the car. like i'll hear it if i dont hold it. could it just be nuts or bolts or something i could just tighten to fix this?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Most likely, if its an "older" GM-Daewoo, the plasitc bushings on the shifing mechanism on top of the gearbox are worn.

Tom

Post by orangelmo »

its a 2000 lanos, that considered old these days? :lol: :wink:
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Well, no :) But these bushings is the only place in the design, that may develop some excessive play.

How is the GTA these days? I used to live in Mississauga for about 8 months...I really did hate the trafic on 401, 403 and QEW :lol: But I do miss the bars and awesome girls LOL

Post by MMamdouh »

orangelmo wrote:its not the knob thats loose mmamdouh. if thats what you are referring to, its the actual stick itself. in gear or even in neutral, you can sway the stick a fair bit from side to side or up and down. i think its also cause for some vibrations i hear in the car. like i'll hear it if i dont hold it. could it just be nuts or bolts or something i could just tighten to fix this?
OH... if that is the case then check all the mechanism parts specially the bushings at the tranny case just like Tom said.

also chek the 12mm bolt on top of the shifter pole that comes out of the fire wall, it is right in the middle of the fire wall near its bottom side, when this bolt is lose it causes loosness in the shift stick along with revers gear engagment issues.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

haha, GTA is doing good. still the same traffic at the usual times on those highways. and man now that summer is here all the girls are out in full force in their short shorts or short skirts :D. my gf is from missassauga. btw thanks for the advice you 2
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

Yeah those bushings are crap, mine on the Aveo wore out in 4 months, I guess GM didn't fix the problem, I removed mine and replaced with washers then put a brass bearing in there, no more loose shifter.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!