replaced my diode but...

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

replaced my diode but...

Post by MMamdouh »

a while ago some asshole was installing my car alarm and he fried my diode in the process... he replaced the busted diode with a 20 amp fuse and every thing was running fine.

i was told that putting a fuse instead of a diode can damage my electrical system so i got myself a diode yesterday and installed it.

all i wanna ask is what damage i could have faced if i keept the fuse? it was their for some 3 years now and no problems whatsoever, was i just lucky? also what if i installed the diode in the wrong direction, what will happen?

actually i didn't know which direction is the correct one and my damn keyboard went dead while i was posting a question about that in here... i simply went to our neighbour who owns a lanos and checked his diode direction and then installed mine... i was going to install it in whatever direction and see what happens but i freaked out and i had to make sure first.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I think the diode only allows for a one way flor of electrical current. As a fuse allows for a two way flow of electrical current, I don't really see any problems unless there was a large electrical shock and it happened to run back through that circuit. but then again I am still new at this, but that is what I think the diode is for.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
whiptastic_nubira

Post by whiptastic_nubira »

A diode only allows flow of current in one direction. A fuse is a current limiting divice. If you put the diode in backwards it will not allow current to flow and nothing will work. I'm sure the diode was put in the circuit for a reason.