Clutch Probs....am i doing something wrong?

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AznRice2Nice

Clutch Probs....am i doing something wrong?

Post by AznRice2Nice »

about 11k miles into my forenza my clutch slipped but fortunately Suzuki covered it cause the car was under 12k. But 2k miles later same prob! This time Suzuki is giving me a hard time and saying they wont cover it if the prob is another clutch that was burnt out.

I hardly ride on the clutch..... so i dont know what is going on. Does down shifting wear out the clutch quicker? Or could it be that im driving off 2nd gear? Either way i cant see how after 2k miles that my clutch is already gone.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no one can fry a clutch in 2k miles... you got something wrong that causes that problem... your clutch mechanism needs real cheking to find the real problem, you are merly dealing with the symptom.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Why are you driving off in 2nd gear? That's what 1st gear is for. Never got why people do that... You're clutch should be fine unless you're burning it every now and then. You do have to burn it if you always start going in 2nd.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I had my clutch hydrualic system go out at 20k miles.. dealer replaced it but told me my clutch assembly was almost out and they did labor for free. Anyways the ppl that owned my car before me were hard on it.. i race.. on the streets i down shift.. i leanred manual on this car along w/ my mom and gf and it lasted 20k miles still
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AznRice2Nice

Post by AznRice2Nice »

can someone list the causes of burning a clutch? cause now when i drive i feel uncomfortable..... i dont even down shift anymore, i just bring it to neutral and brake....lol.

Please help a newb out.

-GP
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

AznRice2Nice wrote:can someone list the causes of burning a clutch? cause now when i drive i feel uncomfortable..... i dont even down shift anymore, i just bring it to neutral and brake....lol.

Please help a newb out.

-GP

1. launching in the wrong gear: you stay in 2nd from a dead stop and have to slowly release the clutch so the engine doesn't stall

2. down-shifting while going too fast: again, you'll probably feel something wrong with the attitude of the car and you'll quickly change it by chaning the rate you let the clutch in.

it's general concensus that a clutch can handle grabbing better than slipping. so it's better to spin your wheels than it is to "feather" the clutch. never launch in 2nd gear unless you are on crazy slippery ice. letting it slip every now and then would be ok... but doing it like 3 or more times a day is gonna burn the clutch fast.