CONVERTING 1.3 TO 1.5

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DAELANOS

CONVERTING 1.3 TO 1.5

Post by DAELANOS »

HAS ANYONE CONVERT THE 1.3 ENGINE TO 1.5 (WITHOUT CHANGING THE HOLE ENGINE) JUST CHANGING THE CRANK AND THE RODS. DO IHAVE TO CHANGE THE PISTONS TO?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

did daewoo make a 1.3 engine?? the smallest i heard about was a 1.4

anyways i don't think anyone did that... at least arround this forum. i guess it is doable with the right amount of cash which will be much more than swapping a bigger engine into your car.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
python235
Junior

dont

Post by python235 »

i dont think its possible to get the 1.5 without putting th engine in real danger of cracking! maybe im over reacting but im never comfortable with that stuff, i would just change the engine cause if anything goes wrong ur gonna be paying for expanding the engine and changing it!
VX
DAELANOS

Post by DAELANOS »

THE 1.4 ENGINE IS ACTUALY 1.350cm ACORDING TO MANUAL.
THE DIFERENS IS THAT THE 1.5 HAS SHORTER RODS THAN 1.4 BUT THE SIZE OF THE PISTON IS THE SAME.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you got to be careful with stuff like that, my manual says the 1.5 SOHC got 76.5 mm bore while i have a pic for a 1.5 piston that is only 76 mm... from the pic i can say that this one is for the DOHC 1.5 as you can see the groves made for the 4 valves.

shorter rod will increas capacity for sure but it will reduce compression as well so you might not get the full benifit of such swap... what about crank shafts on both engines?? if the 1.5 got more travel then with your stock rods you can gain capacity and more compression but i am not sure what will happen to valve clearance when the piston is at the TDC.

MMamdouh
DAELANOS

Post by DAELANOS »

THE BORE X STROKE FOR 1.4=76,5 X 73,4
THE BORE X STROKE FOR 1,5=76,5 X 81,5
THE COMPRESSION IS 9,50:1 FOR BOTH ENGINES
THE 1,5 ENGINE HAS SHORTER RODS+MORE TRAVEL AT THE CRANK SHAFTS. AND I AM WONDERIN IF I CHANGE THE CRANK SHAFTS+THE RODS WITH A 1,5 ENGINE WHAT CAN POSSIBLE GO RONG?
WILL I HAVE A 1,5 ENGINE? ALSO I DON'T KNOW THE COST OF CRANK SHAFTS+RODS.
tango

Post by tango »

My research tells me that the 1.3L and the 1.5 SOHC engines have the same bore (76.5) but the strokes are different, 73.4 (1.3) and 81.5 (1.5). That means the crankshafts are different. I am not sure if the connecting are the same length (they can be the same because the length of the connecting rods would more affect compression ratio than displacement. If that's the case then I would suggest you change the crankshaft AND the rods. Piston bore should be fine.

1.3L

1.5L
Cogito ergo sum...
DAELANOS

Post by DAELANOS »

THIS IS WHAT I AM PLANING TO DO I WILL ASK FOR PRICES FIRST HOPE NOT TO BE EXPENSIVE.THANKS!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

sounds to be a good idea tango but my only concern here is the crank shaft, will it fit right into the 1.3 block??

and what about the wrest pins of the 1.3 and the connecting rods of the 1.5? i suppose both engines got the very same pistons and accordingly the same pins so fitment won't be a problem... at least i hope so.

if all parts does fit then that will be on hell of a mod. to add power to the 1.3 engine... DAELANOS: keep us posted with what you do and pics will be highly appreciated.

MMamdouh
tango

Post by tango »

Well, if the 1.5L crankshaft doesn't fit the 1.3 journals then he can cut the crankshaft to fit at a machine shop. I doubt there is a difference between them but, yes you raised a very important point.

Just a bit of advice to Daelanos...There is no such thing as cheap power. You may very well find that the 1.3L ECU may not work well with the increased capacity. I don't know this for sure but it's something else to think about. If that is the case then it will cost more money. And so modifications are. You change one thing and something else needs adusting. Many people never get everything right because they run out of money. Anyway, I hope everything works out. Let us know.
Cogito ergo sum...
DAELANOS

Post by DAELANOS »

I WILL INFORM YOU.I WILL FIRST LERN PRICES, MAKE A SHORT CALCULATION OF COST AND THEN TRY IT. MAXIM I WANT TO SPEND IS 1000 US$ BECAUSE THE CAR HAS ONLY 30000KM AND IS LIKE NEW.