Custom CAI for Lanos!! *Project Done* (PICS)!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Done!! At least for now... took me like 30 mins trying to squizee this rubber tube in... SOOO tight! Pressed the accel a few times, the itake pipe doesn't even move anymore!
Really hope that this will fix the problem.

Last edited by AcingTeam on Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

hmm....

would it be possible to use a silicone boot (like a tube joint) to go on the pipe insted of the tape and tubing? i was thinking that would make for a cleaner look... anyone else think so?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well i think the tape does have to go. but the rubber grommet is there for the protection now. even if he put a silicone sleeve and not have the rubber gommet the metal would still cut into the sleeve.

nice

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Audacity Racing
moron

the metal will cut the tube also :roll: when the pipe presses against it...

i guess the best way would be to just fab a flange or roll the edges of the hole...
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Audacityracing wrote:the metal will cut the tube also :roll: when the pipe presses against it...

i guess the best way would be to just fab a flange or roll the edges of the hole...
the pipe is against it at all times (no movement what-so-ever). So there's no rubbing and nothing is moving, so I doubt it will go through the tube... but I guess it is possible.

I have everything set up so perfect now, I don't even want to remove the intake pipe in order to remove the tape. Plus it was a pain squizing the tube in. I think I'm going to leave it like this... it doesn't effect performance and it doesn't look too bad.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

couldn't you also put some clear caulking around the piping as well?
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

dude, that is well good, im very very impressed. i may have to do something similar to mine. WELL DONE
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
Audacity Racing
moron

well... i bought mine just a few minutes ago :lol:

12 dollars for the piping, 23 to ship it

isn't it amazing how cheap crap can become glorious woo accessories?

how did you mount the ait?
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Audacityracing wrote: how did you mount the ait?
I didn't. I have a choco chip in there anyways.
rabbitracer

Post by rabbitracer »

anyone know if that same pipe would work on an aveo? the hole in the fender looks about in the same place, are the distances about the same between the throttle body and the hole in the fender?
i refuse to tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at death.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

rabbitracer wrote:anyone know if that same pipe would work on an aveo? the hole in the fender looks about in the same place, are the distances about the same between the throttle body and the hole in the fender?
If not, you can always cut the pipe in a way that it would fit.
Audacity Racing
moron

o i reworked mine... pics soon. i cut it up differently and used one of the silicone connectors through the hole in the fender. it fits perfectly. i'll get pics in about an hour...

oh, took the bypass off and am gonna put it in later, ran out of the tightening straps... :roll:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If you want my opinion you should forget about the tape, rubber or any kind of silicone tubing..... it will wear through over time due to vibration.

In my experience there is only one way to make it work...attach it via a permanant mount.

Ideally you would need three 90 degree brackets...bend them to the required angles and attach them to the tube (prefered method is welding)....... then you center the tube in the hole and then secure the brackets to the sheet metal around the hole via screws.

If welding is out of the question there are other methods of attachment which would work such as high strength epoxy or a simple "farmer fix" where you use two large hose clamps... one at the top and one at the bottom.

Just make sure that you have some flexible joint somewhere in the setup so that it can flex when the engine moves.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

way ahead of you :wink: the kit comes with an l-bracket... just gotta get me a self tapping screw and i'm good. plus, i rolled my sheetmetal so it's not sharp... it's gravy

UPDATE

CRAP!!! i have no batteries in my camera... i'll get some by tomorrow night
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Well, I used high strength rubber around mine quite a while ago. It's still cutting through it, but very slowly. Should roll my opening as well, it's too sharp.