Consumption of fuel

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Maximus
Expert

Consumption of fuel

Post by Maximus »

My Lanos (2000 1.6 16V Manual) is consuming heelot of fuel !!! OK so I do have bigger wheels, a pod filter but nothing else so why can I run only 300 km on one tank of fuel ??? It is sick !!! when I?m driving slowly shifting at 3500 rpm it burns ~14 l of gasoline so the full tank last for only 350 km?

What can be wrong ? And additionally at low rpm like 1500 when I step on the gas pedal a little bit harder the engine sort of chokes but very much, same thing happens at about 140-150 km/h when the gas pedal is down to the floor.
Image Image
fernand187pr

Post by fernand187pr »

the same happens to me, i thought that was normal... but i see the is not normal...
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

fernand187pr wrote:the same happens to me, i thought that was normal... but i see the is not normal...
Come on man, how can it be normal, 15 liters of fuel per 100 km !!! That is sick, my friends Civic Type R burns about 12 liters in town !!!
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ouch.... that mileage sucks.... I recently drove from Edmonton to Calgary (315 km,195 miles) at an average speed of 145km/h, drove around Calgary for two days ( 50km?) and then made it back to Red Deer (146km, 91 miles) with an average speed of about 155km/h

I was there for a wedding and drove the car fairly hard around town so there must be something really wrong with your car.

So overall I managed about 510km with bad conditions (driving really fast eats up gas).

I have the 1.5L SOHC but I'm sure there isn't much difference between the two engines..... plus the 1.6L DOHC has more power so driving 150km/h requires a little less fuel ( 1.5L needs to be pinned to the floor to go up even minor hills at 150km/h)

Sounds to me like your car is running really rich for some reason and is choking on all the gas it's beeing fed.

You might want to check your O2 sensor.... maybe it's damaged.

I read somewhere in my manual that if the O2 sensor is not functional the car will automaticly go into a safe mode which is a way richer fuel map.

To me this sounds like your problem.... or if it's not the O2 sensor it could by your PCM ( the analog to digital conversion circuit could be damaged... the A/D convertor measures the O2 sensor voltage and converts it into a digital number for the central processor to read)

Hope this is of some help to you.... let me know if you need any specific info on the wiring.... I have a manual for the daewoo on CD.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

THX very much Erfinder !!! It can be the O2 sensor like you suggest, tell me wher it is in the engine bay ?
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Lanos usually has two O2 sensors.... the first one is the important one as it's just before the pre-cat (looks like a small muffler just after the exhaust manifold) and the second is just below the pre-cat.

The reason I call it a pre-cat is that I don't belive that it's a catalytic convertor ( had it apart allready) it's just basicly a mesh designed to capture heat to make the exhaust gases warm up quickly when the car first starts up.

It also evens out the exhaust O2 levels via the restriction before the exhaust hits the primary cat midway under the car.

the second O2 sensors purpose is to ensure that the pre-cat is working and doing it's job (for the OBDII emisson control)

Anyways..... the one you have to worry about is the top one that is screwed into your exhaust manifold as this is the primary O2 sensor.

I have no idea what your car looks like over there in Poland.... do you have a little muffler like item attached to your exhaust manifold??
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

well there are two problems I see with him being in Poland

1. he probably had the 1.5L SOHC engine

2. they probably don't have tight emissions like we do in the US
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

daewooluvr wrote:he probably had the 1.5L SOHC engine
Why do you say that I had 1.5 ? I had and have 1.6 DOHC :roll:

As to the exhaust, here's a photo of that mesch before the Cat which is cut out :)

Image Image
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

ok.. i think i got you guys beat.... when i bought the car... no mods done yet i drove 1300 miles (from california to montana) on 40$ in gas at about $1.50/gal on estimate, but then i put the SRI in and hot rod around town and only get 200 to 250 per tank and i usually pay $15 to fill.. never letting it get less then 2 gal in the tank most of the time

well now that i have the air/fuel gauge all wired up nice i notice that it seems to run fairly rich in around town driving

when im on it pretty hard off the light or just feel like romping on it its at about 0.7* to 0.9* depending on how much im on it wich is about 7v=13.8:1, .9v=12.7:1

but when im just driving on the highway at 60 to 70 mph its at about 0.3* to 0.5* wich is .3v=16:1, .5v=14.9:1

but then there is my normal driving around town.. stop and go but not hard on the gas or anything, just your everyday driving and this would be as expected 0.5* to 0.7* but is pretty steady in the 0.6* area

this i noticed for the past 2 weeks

now last week i changed my plugs and ordered my wires thats a story in its self

keep in mind that this is the first plug change the car has had

well i decided to go with bosch platinum 2 plugs, fairly good price and the platinum 4 were just to much i think..

well i decided change out my plugs for the time being while i wait for my new wires and i get 3 out and the closest one to the ignition decides to stick and nothing can get it out.. well needless to say i got it out.. but the bad thing was that it busted off inside the hole.. and the guts riped out.. so im thinking shit... now what the fuck am i going to do.. well off to the parts store i go (autozone) and i pick up a cheapy for the next few days untile i get my new wires,

results?? well heres what i noticed right now with a cheapy wire so its tsill not running up to par

the air/fuel ration is more stable, doesnt jump around like it used to

faster start

idle is lot smother

better respones at the line

and best yet... very little change in MPG.. lol :P

well ill let you know the difference with the new wires when i get them, i dont know how good the stock ones are or were but in my opinion.. nothing stock is any good
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The picture I need would be of the exhaust manifold from the top of the engine....since this is where the first O2 sensor should be.(just after the merge of the four pipes)

Other than cutting out the stock cat has anything else been done to the exhaust?

It would seem that you do not have the "pre-cat" I was talking about which makes me wonder if you have two O2 sensors or just one.

When you took out the stock cat near the back where there any little tubular devices with a wire attached to it on the cat?

If so that would have been your second O2 sensor.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

ok, high fuel consumption is usually directly related to the following (based on my experience):

- faulty O2 sensor (also known as Lambda sensor in europe)
- spark plugs
- cracked distributor cap/rotor
- cracked ignition wires
- vacuum leak
- faulty CTS (coolant temperature sensor)
- incorrect timing

Any other additions to the list?? :D

Post by DomWoo »

gsiturbo,

i think your right about the vaccum leak cause ever sence i put the SRI in and when its in high RPM's and i let off the gas and change gears it will make a PSSSss until rpms drop but the only problem is i cant find the damn leak if thats what it is

anyone else notice this??
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

but the only problem is i cant find the damn leak if thats what it is
Use a spray bottle with water and soap...spray on the vacuum lines...the water will start to bubble where the leak is, or at least you will be able to hear it.

fuel consumption

Post by azazel19 »

has your mil light came on yet. it could be your cam shaft position sensor. mine used loads of fuel changed the sensor and no problems.
"mess with the best die like the rest"