twin turbo idea

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

AcingTeam wrote:
money wrote:
AcingTeam wrote:How would that work well? Just dont see how... Then you would have to run the pipes all the way up to the engine, and the pressure would be smaller... not sure though.
These guys manufacture them in Utah. I doubt they have a Woo design, but it'll give you an idea of what they are capable of.

http://www.ststurbo.com
Hmmm... so you don't even need an intercooler? There are a few draw backs though...
1. Easy to steal a turbo
2. Filter probably gets dirty very quickly
3. lots of piping under the car.

Thats why you lower the car so it isnt so easy to steal :D

but yeah itd get dirty fast and what about the rain :shock:

But they get very good results and the heat stays down ALOT
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

well... the remote turbo is kidna out of the question for any low displacement engine if you think about it. without doing some crazy exhaust work, you'd never get enough back-pressure to spool it up off a daewoo motor...

but... back to my idea...

would it not be crazy to have dual bov's, one on each side? do that with a nitrous cooled intercooler (top mounted)... i'm thinking 20psi (new internals) plus nitrous... and ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

that would be awesome :o
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacityracing wrote: nitrous cooled intercooler
You talking about where it sprays infront of the intercooler (or above it)

Those systems are very good and realiable
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
money

Post by money »

Hmmm... so you don't even need an intercooler? There are a few draw backs though...
1. Easy to steal a turbo
2. Filter probably gets dirty very quickly
3. lots of piping under the car.
I agree with all except for the point of lots of piping. Who cares? If anything it free's up room under the hood and doesn't add any more heat under the hood to begin with. If I spent a lot of time working under the car vs. under the hood I could see an issue. Although I suppose if there isn't sufficient room it could get in the way of a sway bar setup.

As far as the dirty filter that's pretty inevitable. Although you figure a lot of CAI's in some applications are pretty close to the ground anyway and are open to the elements. These guys have some kind of guard around theres, otherwise they'd be in a world of hurt.

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma_at_the_lake
Last edited by money on Mon May 16, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
money

Post by money »

Audacityracing wrote:well... the remote turbo is kidna out of the question for any low displacement engine if you think about it. without doing some crazy exhaust work, you'd never get enough back-pressure to spool it up off a daewoo motor...
I'd thought the same thing, but they are working with a prototype on for the Acura Integra and Honda Civic. Those are low displacement as well, and from what I've read they've had a lot of success thus far.

http://www.ststurbo.com/acura___honda

I know there's going to be some nae sayers, and I'm certainly not trying to be a salesman. But from what I gather from there site and general car knowledge there isn't any reason this wouldn't be a great product. I mean watch some of the vid's, 4WD 3/4 ton truck running 11's? 11's!???!??!?! IN 4WD??!???! That sold me.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Audacity Racing
moron

kinkyllama wrote:
Audacityracing wrote: nitrous cooled intercooler
You talking about where it sprays infront of the intercooler (or above it)

Those systems are very good and realiable

yeah, a system that mists nos onto the intercooler. there is a tune shop around here (the biggest on the eastern side of the us) that sponors a skyline gtr that has the nos intercooler setup and they have this big display with the car about how it gave them an additional 22 horses just from the temp change alone. it seriously sounds like a good idea...

so... theoretically, i could be runnin 20 psi (on up to 30) plus have a nitrous shot... yeah, that's insanity... but will the lanos block even take that? i mean, i know that the internals can't come close... but can the block? i don't have massive amounts of money and if it would just blow out the side of the engine... it's not worth it... any help with that?
Audacity Racing
moron

ok... what about an alcohol injection system? i hear they are superb when it comes to cooling boosted air, plus you can advance your timing because of the slow burn... what does everyone think about it with the turbos?

also... i own two pretty little gt12's now... everyone be jealous, i'm gonna attempt this whole deal... :twisted:
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

The nitrous sounds like a more proven and safe idea to me.. especialy spraying infront of the intercooler
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

got my babies in... told ya they were tiny (that's a thumb... click it for the BIG pic)
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

wow those are small
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
python235
Junior

thats so small

Post by python235 »

its so small DAMN! its so somall u can put 1 for each cylinder :P
well those things will eleminate lag completly :D
VX
Audacity Racing
moron

Re: thats so small

python235 wrote: well those things will eleminate lag completly :D

exactly! with an anti-lag setup you can keep em spooled to 60% at idle :wink: :twisted: :lol:
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Audacityracing wrote:

exactly! with an anti-lag setup you can keep em spooled to 60% at idle :wink: :twisted: :lol:
yes but they're only effective for so long. You'd have to look at the compression maps to be sure these will work well. I'd be willing to bet that you're boost drops off considerably before you hit your shift point.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

daewooluvr wrote:
Audacityracing wrote:

yes but they're only effective for so long. You'd have to look at the compression maps to be sure these will work well. I'd be willing to bet that you're boost drops off considerably before you hit your shift point.
run 2 of the little ones up front, and one biggie up the back..... problem solved
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
Audacity Racing
moron

about the boost drop off...

these are meant to go on 600-900cc sport bikes. the sport bike has roughly the same horsepower as the woo, with half-ish the displacement, and 2.5 times the rev potential. if you look at the maps, these are meant to provide boost to 14,000 rpm across the sportbike's band. doing some rough calculation (intake air volume), you can see that the bike motor, when at 14,000 rpm is pulling 163cfm (na) and the daewoo, when at 5-6000 rpm is pulling 155-187cfm (na) into the intakes. you can assume from here that the bike produces roughly the same exhaust volume given the same perameters, if not bigger due to higher exhaust temp (and thus higher thermal expansion). so, by looking at it this way, you can see that the daewoo needs only slightly more air at the shift point, and thus creates only slightly more air... that being said, one turbo would be about right, however, when you can use the anti-lag and keep TWO turbos spinning at such a low rpm, you can quite easily sustain them (also, everyone assume alcohol injection). if anything... i'll never reach the potential of them. part of why i'm doing this is the allure. performance-wise, it will be on par with a single gt25, but it will be twin... and i got the turbos for 50 bucks a piece... so it all makes sense to me!