twin turbo idea

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

twin turbo idea

Post by Audacity Racing »

so, i was sitting around here in our engine lab at school and discovered a box FULL of garrett gt12 turbos. i talked to one of my professors about them and discovered that i can buy two of them for 100 bucks, brand new. i really want to play with the idea of a twin turbo lanos...

custom header... two cylinders to each turbo.. then to a collector. the garrett gt12's can handle something around 120-130 hp... i'm thinking two of them would handle the lanos (1.6) just fine...

and twins are just plain sexy

any input?
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I would think you would run into a problem with space. Some people have problems fitting one turbo in, but 2 should be pretty tough.
Audacity Racing
moron

well... i'm thinking if i remove the ac condenser anf push the radiator forward... as well as remove the fans... i could get away with it...

plus...

anyone who has seen a gt12 knows how incredibly tiny they are... i don't think space is that big of a concern with these itty bitty babies
04aveohb
Junior

Post by 04aveohb »

lol, piping running everywhere. I dont know much about daewoo's though, I have an Aveo..
2004 Chevy Aveo LS Hatchback
-SRI
-15" Konig Theory's
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

thats not to bad of an idea.. i could see how you could mount them perfectly..

have the exhaust of both turbo pointing towrds the middle into one collector and the charge pipes coming off the side
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

It'd look really cool and probably sound good but if yoru looking for performance im sure could do something better with twin turbo
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

people have put turbos at the rear of the car before, it works, but not that well
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

woo wrote:people have put turbos at the rear of the car before, it works, but not that well
Yea i have a magazine that shows it. It actually works really well. They put the turbo right about where the muffler is... right behind the back axel
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

How would that work well? Just dont see how... Then you would have to run the pipes all the way up to the engine, and the pressure would be smaller... not sure though.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

AcingTeam wrote:How would that work well? Just dont see how... Then you would have to run the pipes all the way up to the engine, and the pressure would be smaller... not sure though.
I'll dig up the magazine at some point... right now my gfs over rolling her eyes at me cuz im talking about my car :lol:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
money

Post by money »

AcingTeam wrote:How would that work well? Just dont see how... Then you would have to run the pipes all the way up to the engine, and the pressure would be smaller... not sure though.
These guys manufacture them in Utah. I doubt they have a Woo design, but it'll give you an idea of what they are capable of.

http://www.ststurbo.com
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Audacity Racing
moron

ok... so i did some measuring... and the gt12's will fit in the space between the exhaust manifold and the fans, if i remove the wastegate and attach a 3rd party one. i dunno if you all realize how tiny these are... they are meant for 600-900cc motors (motorcycles). the hardest part about this little endeavor is going to be making the header that doesn't come to a single collection point, but rather two. i think i can do it though... :roll:
python235
Junior

s

Post by python235 »

so ur changeing NOTHING on the engine?! just puttin both turbos??
and could u scetch a diagram on how u are going to pipe them and add details to the pic from exhaust to intake :D thanx ! and by the way, waiting to see if it works good SO GET STARTED!
VX
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

money wrote:
These guys manufacture them in Utah. I doubt they have a Woo design, but it'll give you an idea of what they are capable of.

http://www.ststurbo.com
Hmmm... so you don't even need an intercooler? There are a few draw backs though...
1. Easy to steal a turbo
2. Filter probably gets dirty very quickly
3. lots of piping under the car.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

they did it to a camaro and got like 150 hp out of 5psi