SOUNDPROOFING DAEWOO LANOS, PART 1 (PICS_

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

SOUNDPROOFING DAEWOO LANOS, PART 1 (PICS_

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

ok guys, thought i would post my efforts so far, i have lots ov things to be done to my lanos this week...which includes

SOUNDPROOF DOORS AND BOOT
FIT ELECTRIC WINDOWS
FIT ALARM
FIT WINDOW LIFT (CLOSURE KIT)
FIT NEW 6.5 FRONT SPEAKERS

soundproofing -

i used 1 roll of BROWNBREAD, and i have also got some normal sound proofing from my local car shop, very cheap, about a tenner for 1m x 2m, and its well good, cause my car doesnt have fook all proofing.

anyway, im off to get a load ov brownbread for the large, and worst effected areas, and the rest i will be using the cheaper normal sound proofing.

before

after

Last edited by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

whats a window lift?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

If you did not know, when adding sound deadening to doors, it is a VERY good idea to try to seal the door as completely as you can and not leave those big holes open.

Yes, deadening kills road noise and helps stop vibration, but sealing the door holes GREATLY improves the sound reporduction for mid and mid bass response in music, which most people don't even miss because they have never really heard it clearly in their music before. Once you have heard it, you will know when it is missing.

For sealing the doors before applying the deadening material add 1 or 2 layers of aluminum tape. Aluminum tape is used in heating and air conditioning duct work and looks like this:

Use the tape to cover the holes in the doors so it is a base for the sound deadening material to stick to. That way the sound deadener is not just covering open holes.

UK_REZ ... if you can, go back into your doors and fill those gaps; it will make a HUGE improvement in your music.

Cliff
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
For sealing the doors before applying the deadening material add 1 or 2 layers of aluminum tape. Aluminum tape is used in heating and air conditioning duct work and looks like this:

Use the tape to cover the holes in the doors so it is a base for the sound deadening material to stick to. That way the sound deadener is not just covering open holes.

UK_REZ ... if you can, go back into your doors and fill those gaps; it will make a HUGE improvement in your music.

Cliff
hi there cliff, i have been told to do the same on the audio forum im on. so i will be using a combination of things .. . . in the small areas im going to use a very thin mdf glued in place, and then sound proof over it. for the larger area, i may try that tape, and some sound proofing, i will be sorting it, but at the moment, theres lots of things to do, and not much time to do it in.

WINDOW LIFT - basicly, i can get out of the car, with the windows down, and press the alarm on and it does the windows up. I BELIVE ITS ALSO KNOW AS A CLOSURE KIT...but window lift is what i call it. IT LOOKS REAL GOOD, ESPECIALLY WITH TINTED WINDOWS (ON THE LIST)
Markthomasz

Post by Markthomasz »

Any updates, comments on what made the most diference? I wouldn't mind giving this a go, and I wonder where the majority of the noise (in my case, roadnoise) comes from - I'm guessing front floor/arches, doors (mines a hatchback), then rear floor/arches would be the best order to do it..?
43som

Post by 43som »

maybe i went too far?! :lol:
i sprayed 3 coats of deadener on door skin and panels.
then cut mdf to suit those holes, and screw ed in and sealed. was and still is as solid as a rock. the only major hole is the 6 ". all other area such as the door lincages have sponge in them. the coated again with deadener. then the door cards coped it.

fucken auwsome enclosure.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

You can't have too much deadener. :)

(unless you are worried about weight)
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

i have done my driver door, and the boot lid, thats made a noticable difference. havent had a chance to get pictures, and i will be sealing the doors up, just having trouble finding electric window motors. more pics soon i promise.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

what is the soundproofing material that you are using, I got all of the holes in my door taped off with the aluminum tape but alls what I need now is the actual sound deadening material.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

the funny colour stuff is just cheap sound proofing from my local car shop, they should sell it in yours.

the shinny stuff is brownbread.
greentrep94

Post by greentrep94 »

damn, i feel sorry for you. You're spraying all that crap on your doors adding weight. That stuff sucks. One sheet of dynamat would do better than all that mess. and im not just talking out of my ass, put four Kicker L5s in your car with that stuff then in a car with dynamat (like mine) you'll see the difference. The brown bread stuff is pretty good but the heat resistance isn't as high as dynamat. BB will be fine for the floor, maybe the doors(maybe, if you don't live in a hot climate), but don't use it for trunk lids or ceilings. It'll fall off and make a nasty mess, not mentioning the smell. I strongly recommend dynamat if you have a few extra bucks. Try using it in some of the areas of the car you haven't done yet. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

iv just finished my doors, and now awaiting my electric window motors so i can put my doors back together.

just wondering where the other worst effected areas are on the woo...im doing the boot floor and possibly the rear panels.

anyone know of some anoying parts of the lanos that rattle.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i heard that the hood and boot are the most common parts to make noises... not sure though.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

[Shameless product - company plug]
Anthony, the owner of Second Skin Audio produces and sells his own line of automotive sound deadener which is better than Dynamat and less expensive. He also has a hood liner sound deadening product which also works as a heat shield.

Members of his forum get an additional discount after they have a certain post count showing positive participation.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

His sound deadening products will be used on upcoming episodes of MTV's show Pimp My Ride.
[/Shameless product - company plug]
greentrep94

Post by greentrep94 »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:[Shameless product - company plug]
Anthony, the owner of Second Skin Audio produces and sells his own line of automotive sound deadener which is better than Dynamat and less expensive. He also has a hood liner sound deadening product which also works as a heat shield.

Members of his forum get an additional discount after they have a certain post count showing positive participation.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

His sound deadening products will be used on upcoming episodes of MTV's show Pimp My Ride.
[/Shameless product - company plug]
i actually don't care if its either just as good as dynamat or better, as long as its cheaper. That i'll admit, that crap is expensive lol