etech trick true or false

Here you will find general facts about Daewoo Vehicles

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

fernand187pr

etech trick true or false

Post by fernand187pr »

ok here it goes... someones in a daewoo dealer in puerto rico told me that a hose that was disconected help the car and make it more faster because the etech is always on? i really dont know, he told me that if i connect the hose the car at high speed will drown but disconected dont... i dont know so i connected! there are some pics so you all know what the hell i'm talking about... copy and paste on ur browser plz! :wink:
http://www.geocities.com/fernand187/valve_trick.jpg
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Can't see the link you posted...

This page is not available.
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

I can see the pictures :) But don't have any idea what this could change in our Woos :?
Image Image
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

actually this vaccuum hose that you're talking about goes to the etec disengaging valve. So if this hose isn't hooked up etec never disengages thus causing your car to be slower. Remember folks, etec is for emissions, unlike vtec for honduhs which is for performance.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

ImageImage
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i thought that the etech was somewhat like a variable venturi and changes the way the air flows at different RPM's giving you more power or more torque when the car needs it

i never spent much time reading about it, i just knew it wasnt to big of a deal
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

WooHoo wrote:i thought that the etech was somewhat like a variable venturi and changes the way the air flows at different RPM's giving you more power or more torque when the car needs it

i never spent much time reading about it, i just knew it wasnt to big of a deal
What you're talking about there is our VGIS intake system (the honeycomb). That has a runner that lengthens and shortens the intake air path depending on the rpm.

fernand187pr

Post by fernand187pr »

i'm getting out of theme a little bit but is something that that guy told me he do to his lanos and he told me that give some hp... is something about removing something names butterflies, i dont know he told me that is easy, just remove 4 bolts and then remove the butterflies so more air could get to the engine... somebody knows about this? or do this? is easy, so i can do it by myself?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I think what he's talking about is the butterfly in the Throttle body. This is used to make sure that you don't run too lean and acts as a choke. Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy.

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Disabling the ETEC at low RPM will result in less horsepower!!!

I have seen this proven by DYNO testing this on a different forum.

I can't remember the exact results but if my memory serves me I think that the car lost 3hp in the midrange area and the higher RPM was exactly the same.

At higher RPM the air goes through the smaller intake runner but at low RPM it goes through a "tuned length" intake runner (outside radius of intake) and creates more mid range torque and therefore more midrange horsepower.

ETEC has absolutely nothing to do with Emissions....it's purely a variable geometry intake system like the ones you find on the Acura NSX, Acura 3.5RL and a bunch of expensive cars.

I wish the other forum was still up... one guy had pictures explaining the whole intake runner diagram.

I will try to put an end to this misconception by finding some sites that describe the whole "tuned length" intake runner idea and exactly why it makes more power.

Basicly long is good at low RPM and short is good at high RPM.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

just a little thing i want to ask about this etech thing... if it refers to the VGIS then why i have it written on my engine noting that i don't have a VGIS??

i own a '99 Lanos with a 1.5 8 valves SOHC.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

From what I know, only the 16V engines come with VGIS. Aparently VGIS was the technology GMDAT uses to overcome the inherent characteristic of poor low-end torque for 16V engines.
-=Exiled=- Chris

Post by -=Exiled=- Chris »

removing the vacume lines to the VGIS system is not only foolish it hurts your cars power in many ways, it cant product max power, it will hurt your fuel economy and you will be in generaly slower, the VGIS system is an ingenious part of the lanos and only a fool would recommend to remove the system from bieng efective.
lanoswoo99
Junior

Post by lanoswoo99 »

IF THIS ONLY CAME IN 1.6 DOHC ENGINES, WHY MY 1.5 SOHC 99' LANOS IN THE VALVE COVER SAYS: E-TEC

WHERE IS IT?