Tuning for Boost Question?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Chip

Tuning for Boost Question?

Post by Chip »

Hey all you guys that are going turbo. Under boost, how are you getting around the MAP sensor? Are you tuning an SAFC to just throw fuel in the cylinder for boost conditions? I think when we go turbo we're going to get the AEM EMS with accompanying wide band MAP sensor. Has anyone tried this set up?? Thanks...

-Chip
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the MAP sensor piping is fitted with a check valve so that it only sees vacuum and when boost starts to kick in the check valve blocks the way to the sensor.

if the MAP sensor senses boost it will cut off fuel and the engine will die... also this will cause your sensor to mulfunction and you will have to replace it.

MMamduh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Chip

Post by Chip »

mmamdouh wrote: if the MAP sensor senses boost it will cut off fuel and the engine will die... also this will cause your sensor to mulfunction and you will have to replace it.

MMamduh
Right, but how are people getting around this?
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

by adding the check valve in the MAP's vacuum line which prevents the boost from reaching the sensor.

MMamdouh
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Chip, honestly i dont think there's anyone currently using an AEM EMS.

WooHoo is using a E-Manage on his 1.6 Lanos. I'm also using a programable system but its a Hybrid with a Honda ECU. But we're both NA.
Last edited by Efratech on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Efrain A. wrote:Chip, honestly i dont think there's anyone currently using an AEM EMS.
what is an AEM EMS?? :roll:

MMamdouh
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

mmamdouh wrote:
Efrain A. wrote:Chip, honestly i dont think there's anyone currently using an AEM EMS.
what is an AEM EMS?? :roll:

MMamdouh
It's a programmable Engine Management System from AEM.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'm just wondering how everyone who is running boost is optimizing the fuel curve for boost. I would love to get away with a cheap tuning job with an AFC, but I'm afraid for our racing conditions we're going to have to go high end and hook up the AEM. :?
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i can turn my MAP sensor off at a certan voltage :twisted

but then you need a map sensor for the emanage to tell it to give it more fuel.. there is a deal from MSD that will increase the fuel per boost also. dont much about it though..

i would say that the best way to get around the map sensor is a check valve

the best way to get more fuel piggy back or the AEM EMS

there is a unit that can work with the Daewoo's
when i was buying the greddy emanage i called AEM first and they told me that a certen model would work.. dont ask me now because i dont know but you have to have a manual trany and kinda go on the fly with the wire setup

i would say if you have the money go with the AEM.. also have to remember though there is like 5 others out there just like the AEM
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

What limitations (rules) you guys have on the engine side of things?

A programmable setup is the way to go in your car. you can get all the data from the engine during the runs.

Until now all the turbo setups that i've seen here are low boost setups, wich i think are using SAFC and some FMU
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

got a question about low boost levels then. if i were to run like 5-7psi of boost and i have bigger injectors and performance fuel pump would i need to get a piggy back system or not. i don't plan on goin past 9 psi for the track so i'm not really sure.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Efrain A. wrote:What limitations (rules) you guys have on the engine side of things?

A programmable setup is the way to go in your car. you can get all the data from the engine during the runs.

Until now all the turbo setups that i've seen here are low boost setups, wich i think are using SAFC and some FMU
No rules, our class is wide open :D

Yeah, I've always figured on going programmable, especially with the AEM. I have a buddy who is perhaps the best AEM EMS tuner on the planet, so I'm not too worried that we'll get an effective fuel curve. I just wondered if anyone had already done it.
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

lanos2001 wrote:got a question about low boost levels then. if i were to run like 5-7psi of boost and i have bigger injectors and performance fuel pump would i need to get a piggy back system or not. i don't plan on goin past 9 psi for the track so i'm not really sure.

nick
Hey Nick, you have to somehow tune for the boost condition as the stock ECM cannot recognize boost, therefore you will not have fuel for it without running some sort of additional fuel management.
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

so even if i do the map sensor deal so it won't see boost, i would still need the piggy back system?

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Chip wrote:No rules, our class is wide open :D

Yeah, I've always figured on going programmable, especially with the AEM. I have a buddy who is perhaps the best AEM EMS tuner on the planet, so I'm not too worried that we'll get an effective fuel curve. I just wondered if anyone had already done it.
Now that's cool, :D

Sorry to ask but are you guys running on a budget? 'cos there're lots of parts already made in Europe for these euro-ecotec based engines, well you should already know that :P