stock mufflers

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

stric_09: i have removed my CAT and the car feels a bit faster (noticable at high revs) and i got no back pressure issues.

as for fuel consumptin... i guess it won't affect that or at least should improve it, you got rid of some exhaust restriction so your cas should feel a bit more responsive if you are a fast driver or get better gas milage if you are a conservative driver... note that those are little changes that some people might not feel.

for CEl issues:if you got 2 CATs then removing them will trigger a CEL... the second O2 sensor reading is compared to the first O2 sensor... if the reading is the same then your CAT is not working (or removed) and the CEL will light on. i only got one CAT and no O2 sensor monitoring it so... no CEL for me.

daewooluvr: i have seen many posts confirming that removing the CAT will make you go faster... some people remove only the first CAT with this bypass...

some other remove the main CAT as i did... this is the foirst time to see someone say the CAT removal did nothing.

i think you need to take them off again and do some testing... the do affect performance.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

It's most likely a pyschological effect of thinking it's faster cuz you did something.

I tested my 0-60 times and they were the same.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
poont

Post by poont »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
kinkyllama wrote:In CA they would probably inpound your car for a month which would end up costing about 10k.. CA is really strict about any of that stuff
Then it is a good thing I live 3,000 miles (4800km) east of California, then, isn't it? :) LOL

I'm still thinking about changing the muffler to something less restrictive to get better gas milage; I have to fill the car every other day because of how much I drive (that explains the 3,000mile oil change every 2 weeks! LOL).
Over $2 a gallon is not nice on the bank account.

Cliff
Well hmm... lucky you... here regular 95 unleaded cost 1.5USD/Litre or 11Kr/Litre Diesel about 1.2-1.3usd/litre the price has gone up 40% the last 2years (tax is almost 1usd/litre).... Many nice "yankee" cars are being put away because of the price... =)

/Regards from sweden.....

/Regards
Cars that i currently posess: Daewoo lanos 1.5l SE, 16" Enzo. More mods to come. Beach Buggy -66 1600VW 90bhp.
Have had: SAAB 9000 2.3T Aut. Nissan Cherry turbo (modded ass hell :). SAAB 9000 Turbo Talladega (After mods. dyno 284.3Hp 376Nm)
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

daewooluvr wrote:It's most likely a pyschological effect of thinking it's faster cuz you did something.

I tested my 0-60 times and they were the same.
He does have a 1.5l, so maybe his results are different (since the exhaust systems are different as well).
Me

Post by Me »

The cats arent ment to be restrictive and you probably get like a whole .01HP from changing it so whoopdy doo :roll:
the muffler is really the best thing to run strait through if you really need it to be free flowing.
besides look through the CAT what is in there thats restrictive the screen
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so you are saying that a muffler is more restrictive than a CAT?? come on man i got the OEM CAT with me and the mesh inside it seems so tight.

as for the exhaust design: i guess that the exhaust design on both engines are the same... only difference is the no. of CAT and that changes according to native immision laws and regulations.

MMamdouh
poont

Post by poont »

Hmm... On a turbocharged car it does realy feel when you upgrade the stock-cat to a sport... it's like night and day. =)
It may do some diffrence on a NA engine, the exhaust gets cooler, more flow... tried taking the oem cat off a Peugeot 205gti and replaced it with a "cat-adaptor" but there was not a huge diffrence, well it got a thiny little more punch over the 5000rpm marker, and some 5nm more mid-torque....
Cars that i currently posess: Daewoo lanos 1.5l SE, 16" Enzo. More mods to come. Beach Buggy -66 1600VW 90bhp.
Have had: SAAB 9000 2.3T Aut. Nissan Cherry turbo (modded ass hell :). SAAB 9000 Turbo Talladega (After mods. dyno 284.3Hp 376Nm)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

that about right... the performance improvment i felt was at high RPM... some 5000 or so. also the heat thing, the CAT used to heat up too much that it made my hand brake hadle go hot.

MMamdouh