Making another short shifter (different set up).

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Making another short shifter (different set up).

Post by AcingTeam »

Hey guys,

Well I've decided to experiment with my stock shifter that I have left (because I'm using 360Dynamics one from Tom... it's awesome btw).
So far I removed the shift knob, wow it was glued tight... Removed the reverse lock-out mechanism... and tomorrow my dad will cut the shaft by 4" at work (no tools at home :cry: ) and I already have a cool shift knob from AutoZone to put on :D.

My plan:
1) Remove the reverse lockout mechanism (that will let me cut the maximum amount of shaft).
2) Cut 4" of the shaft (that's as far as I could do in order to keep the shift knob actually visible and shiftable :) hehe )
3) Put on the shift knob
4) Install!!

Will have pictures tomorrow ;)
chefgold

Post by chefgold »

I would check your throw distance to fifth before taking 4" off, and cannot stress you rethinking the removal of the lock out. I was able to drop mine 2.25" for a grand total of 39.95 CDN. Tom at 360 got a peek when I stopped in for a visit. This is on a 04' Avewoo, if that is close in design.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

chefgold wrote:I would check your throw distance to fifth before taking 4" off, and cannot stress you rethinking the removal of the lock out. I was able to drop mine 2.25" for a grand total of 39.95 CDN. Tom at 360 got a peek when I stopped in for a visit. This is on a 04' Avewoo, if that is close in design.
Well as I said, I'm doing this for fun as an experiment. Although, I will check the throw distance to fifth (good point).

Lockout I don't really care about. Just before starting to go in first, find the 2nd gear, and move the stick up (to be sure it's first). And then it's easy. Also, that is the only way I'll be able to take off that much shaft.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i took my lock off about a year ago and only went into reverse on mistake twice (knock on wood 3x) luckily they were both in like an empty parking lot and it was b/c i just jumped and and tried to go, also only happened the first month. i might as well cut off some too but probably only like 2 inches at first and whenever i have time.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

DONE!!!! The result is simply SICK :shock:

Take a look at this picture (not mine), mine is even shorter!!!

I cut 4" of shaft, have no reverse lockout mechanism (so far so good, pretty easy). Every gear works perfectly, no flaws of any kind. And can I describe the difference??? Hell no, it's simply amazing. I immediately noticed a HUGE difference in how quickly I can shift, and also the stiffness is awesome. It's much stiffer and short throw is reduced by as much as 38.5%!!!! The shifter length is approx 8 inches.

I will post the pictures tomorrow morning.

p.s. and really, there's no way of describing the difference.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yeah, definately have to do that, yeah definately. definately need a short stick. (rainman)

sorry about the bad joke i'm tired at work with like three hours of sleep.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Ok, all done... here are the pics. Short throw is reduced by approx. 38%.

This picture is comparing 360Dynamics short shifter to mine :)
Also, ignore the shift boot, was too lazy to remove it.
python235
Junior

Now everybody got it

Post by python235 »

ok since now the shorting part is done and we got REAL SHORT SHIFTERS there is 2 problems
1- the reverse lock out is pretty scary even though u are good drivers but still not safe
2- the shifter can be seriously HEAVY sometimes and bother a person to shift in place

(problem number 2 NO SOLUTION)
BUT PROB 1
- who has a good idea of making a side button for the reverse ! ?
like out the shifter box but will go in and make a lock out till u push the button

i was thinking ok a lever mechanism
like pushthe button it levers up a locking part !
any ideas ?

:)
VX
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Personally i wouldnt go without the lock out.. it wouldnt be bad for street driving. But for racing i'd be really scared. Ive never misshifted driving but racing a couple times i shifted to high... and my shifter got stuck up between 3rd and 5th... i have no idea how but it was scary. :lol:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Ok guys, now how exactly is it scary without having the reverse lockout mechanism???? How? ONLY when starting you have to make sure it is 1st gear and not reverse, other than that, you don't have to worry about it.
chefgold

Re: Now everybody got it

Post by chefgold »

python235 wrote:ok since now the shorting part is done and we got REAL SHORT SHIFTERS there is 2 problems
1- the reverse lock out is pretty scary even though u are good drivers but still not safe
2- the shifter can be seriously HEAVY sometimes and bother a person to shift in place

(problem number 2 NO SOLUTION)
BUT PROB 1
- who has a good idea of making a side button for the reverse ! ?
like out the shifter box but will go in and make a lock out till u push the button

i was thinking ok a lever mechanism
like pushthe button it levers up a locking part !
any ideas ?

:)
You can get a short shifter and keep the reverse lockout, and for problem #2 Simply replace the spring adding a softer rate .
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Tom is supposed to be getting some "complete shifter assmeblies" which include the plastic cage as well as the shifter.

I'm going to modify one to create a very short shifter using this other "360 Dynamics" sized shifter (to keep the reverse lock out)

I think that having one as low as the one you made will make it harder to shift.... your arm must be stretched out a fair ways if there is that much shaft removed.

I also noticed you don't have the angled portion of the shaft.... so the shifter would also be an inch or two forward from the normal position.

I might cut one up like this just for the heck of it and see how it feels.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Erfinder wrote:Tom is supposed to be getting some "complete shifter assmeblies" which include the plastic cage as well as the shifter.

I'm going to modify one to create a very short shifter using this other "360 Dynamics" sized shifter (to keep the reverse lock out)

I think that having one as low as the one you made will make it harder to shift.... your arm must be stretched out a fair ways if there is that much shaft removed.

I also noticed you don't have the angled portion of the shaft.... so the shifter would also be an inch or two forward from the normal position.

I might cut one up like this just for the heck of it and see how it feels.
You are correct Chris, I cut it right before the shaft starts to curve. There are no draw backs except there's no reverse lock, but that's not a problem for me. My arm is stretched out all the way to the shifter, but I do shift with just and REALLY only my wrist. It is sooo much fun and no it is not hard to shift at all, just feels so sporty and stiff.
I have noticed that my shifting time improved A LOT, I shift from 1st to 2nd so quick that my whole car jumps.... that's a good way of messing up the transmission ;) .
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Erfinder wrote:Tom is supposed to be getting some "complete shifter assmeblies" which include the plastic cage as well as the shifter.
What the hells the plastic cage?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:
What the hells the plastic cage?
Plastic cage is that cage where you insert the shifter, will get the pic now for you.