pics

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Efratech
Admin

pics

Post by Efratech »

An Opel Kadett (Pontiac Lemans) for my friend Gsiturbo

Having Fun with a C20LET !!!! Erfinder!

Opel astra 93-96 Gsi turbo

'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Just one word... Beautifull...... :twisted:
ImageImage
elhamy201

Post by elhamy201 »

the car looks great but i have a question what makes the car getting fire like that ?
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

turbo supporting (is it written this way?) or photoshop 8) This fire is kinda big.... to big...
Image Image
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

If Im not wrong, you can buy a tail who came w\ a spark plug and make it spit fire.... :twisted:
ImageImage
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

you're correct, it's called a Flame thrower.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

hmmm....

BUT... thats a C20LET Astra.... i've seen BIGGER back fires than that here on hondas pushing more than 20psi of boost...

lets wait until Erfinder finish his proyect, and then u ill say its photoshop or some rice toy.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

it is a rice toy. Auto Loc make these kits. Plus there's hundreds of them on ebay.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

so... again... are u guys saying that backfire is made by a rice toy... lol
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

maniac16v wrote:so... again... are u guys saying that backfire is made by a rice toy... lol
If it is that big it is made by a toy unfortunetlly :(
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

There is no way of knowing if that is an add on or a real backfire.... if it's running high boost (like say 20psi) it could easily create a large flame like that if the exhaust was pretty much straight through.

Usually backfires occur when unburnt fuel enters the exhaust and ignites.

On highly boosted cars this is can be done by "blipping" the throttle just right... you introduce lots of fuel but not much air so you get a really rich intake charge which only partially burns before exiting out into the exhaust port where it is immediately ignited by the hot exhaust manifold.....and whamo you have a nice little backfire.

A buddy of mine had straight pipes coming off his 37 coupe and when the car was hot and he could make flames in excess of 2 feet.

Usually it was at lights when he wanted to show off....he would rev it up to a few hundered RPM under redline and then do a couple quick "blips" on the throttle (foot off throttle and then to the floor and then off real quick)
It allways got attention... sometimes good (women).... sometimes bad (cops)

Great thing about living in Alberta (Canada) is that there really isn't anything stopping you from ripping off all your emmisions crap and running straight pipes....we don't have any kind of emission testing here.

So getting back to the subject....ya everyone knows that in 2F2F they made fake flames by injecting fuel into the exhaust manifold but not every "backfire" is fake.

Lots of guys will inject fuel just before the turbo to make it spool up under low RPM starts (makes it like a supercharger....instant boost)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I could make HUGE backfires in my Porsche before I tightened the exhaust. :D

My Porsche has dual 38mm 2bbl carbs and an MSD electronic ignition.
After the engine got hot, I could be driving, turn ignition off for a few seconds by turning the key to off, stomp on the pedal so it opened the carbs up all the way, and the moving pistons would suck lots of gas into the engine & then out into the exhaust. When I turned the ignition back on, the leaking exhaust manifold gaskets would let enough fresh air into the exhaust & mix with the unburned gas.

Turn on the key ... BANG!!! ... a really loud boom & a flame from the tail pipes.

That was a lot of fun to do in the tunnel at night because it echoed so much and the flame was so visible.

Since I put in new copper gaskets between the heads & the stainless steel manifolds, it doesn't leak air any more & I can't make it backfire.

My dad used to do that with his VW Bus, too ... it was fun to ride with him when he did that as he passed people walking on the side of the road! LOL
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

at last! u guys posted....

it seems its not a TOY... that picture was taken on a Dyno Day on the UK on a Dyno called RR (Rolling Road) its called Roalling road Day... the give trophies to the best cars of the day... i cant image my self been there :(
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote: My dad used to do that with his VW Bus, too ... it was fun to ride with him when he did that as he passed people walking on the side of the road! LOL

This is a little off topic....

My 67 beetle was quite fond of backfires....the first few times it happened it scared the crap out of me because I thought something major had happened to the engine. ( Old Beetles have a very thin piece of sheet metal between the engine and the interior so it made a sound comparable to a shotgun )

It had no rhyme or reason for backfiring....just once and a while every month or two she'd let out the loudest bang you've ever heard.... I allways assumed that it was a misfire of some sort where the air/fuel didn't get ignited and then got pushed into the exhaust (which had a big collector if I'm not mistaken)

Needless to say it was somewhat unnerving because it allways seemed to happen when you least expected...man I miss that car backfires and all.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Backfires in old Beetles/Busses/Type III's (Notchback, Squareback, Fastback)/Things/Ghias are caused by a combination of these:

1) The carb is running rich (caused by misadjustment, warn jets & dirty air filter)
2) The exhaust manifold/heater boxes aren't bolted on tightly enough and they can wiggle making air gaps

When this combination happens, air gets sucked back into the hot exhaust manifold at the gaps between the cyllinder head & exhaust manifold.

This combination of events has to take place:

The car is running extra rich, there are unburned gasses going into the exhaust.
You go over something that makes the exhaust jiggle allowing air back into the manifold.
The fresh air & unburned gasses ignite in the manifold and can blow back through the engine & out the top of the carb, or blow out the back of the exhaust.

*BANG*

I know Old VW's & Porsches better than Daewoos as they were my first automotive love, and will forever remain my favourite.