intake broken at throttle body

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I ended up going tonight.. 4 stores i went to didnt have any.. 2 i called didnt have it... i got a heads up on a store about a 20 min drive that should have them so im going to call them tomorrow
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Ive called about 10 more stores and still cant find an freakin intake for a 2001 honda civic.. almost every store has one for a 2000 civic though.

Two shops told me they have it in stock and when i got there they told me they ordered it

I was told by two people at two different shops a place that would have it but i cant remember the name and i cant find it in the yellow pages. :x

This blows
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
cielo20

air duct broken

Post by cielo20 »

Hey guys why are you alarming the poor guy so much? iv never had a filter on any of my cars either when it was with the daewoo 15 16v with the twin carbs dellorto's dcoe's and even now with the c20xe and never had bloody problems! i had the car for ten years now!

i know its not good but its not as bad as you are telling the poor chap 8)
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Er...Car without an air filter?

Never a smart idea, thats a simple way to ruin an engine, maybe it didn't happen to you, but I've never heard of a car, aftermarket or not, run without an air filter.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I found out how it broke... i raced at 3... its 20mins past 7 right now .. i havnt turned on my car in over two hours... i felt the intake right where it goes onto the throttle body and its all melted up and its like gue (even 4 hours after i raced)... the entire engine bay is still very hot actually. But it appears that the intake just melted off the throttle body :shock:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

as a tip: don't just park your car and turn off the engine right after racing.

during racing the engine, tranny and brakes get very hot so when you are done racing try to cruse arround in the car with no rush whatsoever so the car can cool down using the air flow.

also if that cruse is not possible for whatever reasons you can just keep the engine idling for some 10 min. before turning it off, popping the hood during that will help much.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

yeah i do that... i do a few laps without pushing it then i drive really slow into pit.. and thats all i can do for driving around but then i let it idle there for a long while
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

To drop heat, remove all heat retaining plastic from your engine bay, engine cover, stock intake box, etc. Also, if you have that engine "fire blanket" thing on the engine side of your hood, take that off too, it retains heat. For extra heat drop, run RedLine WaterWetter and maybe if drastic get those hood spacers that raise the end of your hood. Run dryer hose from your fog light holes to your wheel well to cool your brakes better.

Bone stock econo-boxes weren't meant for autocross. :(

Good Luck.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Yeah the redline watterwetter is highly recommended.. i plan on gettignt it.

You use it INSTEAD of antifreeze right? I live in Arizona and it gets up to 120degree F in the summer so i dont need to worry about anything freezing. Is it just like antifreeze and use 50/50 with water?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You are correct, it can be used with just water, but that is only for racing, but I think drag racing, not autocross. On the bottle, which is only 12 oz., it says that for street machines you need to run at least 15% antifreeze, and basically the lower the percentage of antifreeze, the better the product works. I bought mine 3 months ago and never added it, now I have a stuck thermostat that needs to be taken care of before I go installing it.

DYNO TEST RESULTS:

50% Glycol/50% Water - 228F
50/50 + WaterWetter - 220F
Water Only - 220F
Water + WaterWetter - 202F

It's not a huge drop, but it improves heat transfer and lubricates seals which makes the whole cooling system more efficient

BTW: I plan to run 30/70 + WaterWetter and hope to get maybe 215F, a 13F drop.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Its okay where i live to not use any antifreeze... in winter i might change it cuz i cant park inside a garage at my girls house. But our summers dont drop below 80degreesF and get up to 120.

13degrees is a hudge improvement
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

well i never found an intake locally ... they could ship one in but the cheapest one was 155usd so i bought that 10$ one off ebay. I hope i get it soon.

What things can i do to keep the air cold... besides a heat shield. Like what kind wrap can i wrap the intake in?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
rev320

Post by rev320 »

kinkyllama wrote:Its okay where i live to not use any antifreeze... in winter i might change it cuz i cant park inside a garage at my girls house. But our summers dont drop below 80degreesF and get up to 120.

13degrees is a hudge improvement
Antifreeze is also anti-boil. You might not want to drive without it entirely. Water does transfer heat better than glycol, so maybe 30% antifreeze would be your best bet. That should cover you in winter in your warm climate too.
Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

So wait.. you dont completly replace teh antifreeze with water ... I mean.. yeah you need some antifreeze unless i wanna change it everytime i go somewhere cold. But you only put an OZ of watterwetter for every quart.

So my system hold 8quarts.. so im going to put 8 oz of watterwetter... about 2 quarts of antifreeze and the rest water?

The bottle of watterwetter said only to put one oz for every quart...
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

For street driven vehicles, RedLine recommends a mix of at least 15% antifreeze to be used with H20 and WaterWetter. I will use 30% as I live in a hot area, and so do you.

So, if the math is done, 8 quarts, about 30% of that antifreeze, or about 2.4 quarts, and 70% water, about 5.6 quarts. To that add the entire bottle of WaterWetter for a 15 degree (Dynoed?) drop.

From what I see from the liquid in a bottle, it is simply an engine-safe emulsifier that breaks down the surface tension of water so it could come in contact with more metal to cool. It works much like soap. A drop of pure water will bead up on bare metal, but add some soap to the water, and the water will spread out a lot more, covering more area, and therefore absorbing more heat.