install tacho on lanos?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

favul

install tacho on lanos?

Post by favul »

i have a 2001 lanos se and would like to install a tacho in it but have no idea how to. so any help on how to install the tacho would be great.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

step by step instructions are on the http://www.daewootech.net site under the "how to" articles.

To site owner and moderators: a "how to" section on the forum is badly needed... please conceder that idea.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
favul

Post by favul »

thanx i read that guide but my lanos is the 1.5 right hand drive with the ecu near the accelerator and it has 2 plugs i think. so i still need to no how to install the tacho
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

then it is going to be very hard to do that... for some reason the green/black wire on the 1.5 ECU gives only half signal.

many people tried that and failed... keep in touch maybe someone can solve that issue.

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Install tacho on 1.5L 8v Lanos

Post by ubuyau »

Installing a tacho on a 1.5L 8v Lanos is a pain in the butt! Its not like the 1.6 where you can just plug straight into the green with black stripe wire from the middle plug on the ECU under the seat for a signal to the tacho. As we all know now anyway, the 1.5 ECU only has 2 plugs where as the 1.6L has 3...

The rest of the installation of the tacho is generally the same (red 12V+, black earth, white colour wire for the light trigger). The green trigger wire for the actual tacho reading is different tho.

I took the car with the tacho to a Daewoo dealer and they couldnt even install it for me, claiming that when i installed the tacho that i must've broke it since i only got a half reading... This is what I followed for tacho signal trigger when installing a tacho in my 1.5L 8v Lanos.

* Put a diode (1N4004 400V 1A - Jaycar part#: ZR1004 - $0.40AU for
4) in Wire D10 (the white wire with grey rectangles on the big plug
of the ECU) with the silver collar facing the tacho.
* Put another diode in Wire C3 (a brown wire on the big plug) with
the silver collar facing the tacho.
* Solder the two ends of the diode and the trigger wire from the tacho together.

This picture is a little bad quality and shows the very first ghetto attempt i had at wiring it by just poking the ends of the diode thru the wire. Still should give an idea of how to do it tho and it works, i just used ALOT of electrical tape!

Maybe this should become a "how to" since more people with 1.5L Lanos seem to be wanting to install tachos lately :lol: This has worked for me, so i am assuming it'll work on other 1.5L Lanos. 8)

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

nice work tim... glad you could do it after all the effort... could you please post a much bigger photo so i can see the wires you worked on??

since you got some idea about electric parts and all... how different is what you did than this diagrams??

this is a rectefication circuit for the signal from the ECU a friend of mine came up with

then he made this one for protecting the ECU, in case a short happens the ECU will not fry.

tell me what you think and how different is this from what you did... i am 100% clueless when it coms to electricity.

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Here is the schematic diagram of what i did.

The op amp circut (power inverter) is probably what would've been closest. In theory it shouldve worked but i just couldnt make it happen :oops: It was trying to double the voltage the tacho was seeing but it keep stalling my engine. It'd actually be interesting to put a diode in the wire from the ECU before the first resistor in the Op Amp circut to see if itd work with the ecu not getting any flow back... something i didnt try but just thought of right now so flame me if its ridiculous.

Plus using the diodes worked for me and I got a pack of 4 for $0.40AU. The Op Amp chip, IC holder and resistors cost me $3.50AU :P

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

nice diagram man... probably i will show it to one of the technicans at work and make him get me the parts then i will try to replicate what you did.

i got an after market tach some 5 years ago and the guy at the car service shop took some 4 hours to install it... he didn't find a signal wire then i returned the tach to the shop... now after finding the signal wire it was only half a signal, you can imagen how happy am i that this actually works :D

Nice work man :wink:

MMamdouh
Last edited by MMamdouh on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCC423

Post by BCC423 »

ha, or you could just get a tach made for a v-twin motorcycle!
silver 99 lanos hatchback
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Wow..... what the hell are all you guys doing??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The tach install on my 1.5L took me 20 minutes and I had zero components required.

Why don't you hook up to the factory Tachometer wire???????

Tom was right.... you guys need help.

In case any of you dont know... the factory tachometer wire is attached to the instrument cluster of all Lanos vehicles even if they don't have a tach installed (just like my car)

All you do is pull off the instrument cluster ( 5 minutes ).... tap into the correct wire an your done..... it's the easiest install in the world and the instrument cluster wiring is nice and close to the location of the position most people would install their aftermarket gauges.

I will dig up my info on this for you guys..... shouldn't take me too long.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:? I just upgraded my home computer and I haven't reinstalled my Lanos manual yet..... I can't find the disk for some reason.

I sold my old computer to my company so I have the manual at work..... I will dig out the information tommorow for you guys.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I originally took my car to the old Daewoo dealership and they gave me the same diagram. On the back of my cluster apparently there was no wire (a 2000 Daewoo Lanos 1.5L SE with no factory tacho - possibly they were lying?).

Anyway i emailed the manufacturer and they told me to call this specific instrument maker. They knew of the problem with the tacho-less Lanos and told me the work around of using 2 diodes but couldnt say which wires to use. So a bit of time probing and we now have a feasible solution.

--Tim
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Erfinder wrote:Wow..... what the hell are all you guys doing??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The tach install on my 1.5L took me 20 minutes and I had zero components required.

Why don't you hook up to the factory Tachometer wire???????

Tom was right.... you guys need help.

In case any of you dont know... the factory tachometer wire is attached to the instrument cluster of all Lanos vehicles even if they don't have a tach installed (just like my car)

All you do is pull off the instrument cluster ( 5 minutes ).... tap into the correct wire an your done..... it's the easiest install in the world and the instrument cluster wiring is nice and close to the location of the position most people would install their aftermarket gauges.

I will dig up my info on this for you guys..... shouldn't take me too long.
this is the first time to hear that man! :shock:

personally i had the idea of the gauge cluster swap in mind and i found a fellow Woo owner that already did that mod, he told me that after the swap every thing worked fine but the tach... he dug up some wires in the ECU and made a connection wire to the tach but he had half reading on the tach... so as many people ended up having with the aftermarket tachs they bought.

my friend is an electronics engineer so he came up with the two circuits illustrated in the diagrams i posted before to rectify the signal going to the tach and according to him it worked fine.

ubuyau came up with another way to rectify the signal and it is working fine for him too... it seems that you - Erfinder - are the only guy that succeeded in that swap with no extra signal modifications whatsoever which makes me think you got something different.

you are from Canada...right? i know a friend in canada that got a 1.5 16 valves Woo so i figured you might have the same engine and i am sure that that engine got different ECU than ours... and if that is the case then we don't share the same wiring for sure, that makes the swap job for us so different than yours on the wiring and signal sides.

you say we need help? yes indeed we do... so if your car is typically like ours - on the side of engine and ECU - then we missed something out for sure and we will be glad to know what it is, we are in the dark here and we need some guidance.

personally i am dieing because i don't have a tach on my car and if that swap is possible with no electrical mess arrounds then i can't be more happy to do the swap right away... please dig up your manual and see what you can get... just remeber we have the 8 valves version of the 1.5 engine.

your help is highly appreciated man!

MMamdouh
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

He had an 8v 1.5
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Is it really worth all this hassle? Just spend $0.40AU for the pack of diodes and have fun! Its super easy to get to the ECU (just in the foot well for the 1.5L 8v), takes hardly no time to do some soldering and its less hassle than pulling out the entire dash again and risk scratching the painted parts.

--Tim