intake broken at throttle body

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:from what i'm seeing you just need to take off the remainder of the rubber hose and replace it. unless i'm looking at it wrong.

nick
That's a very good observation... I don't know though... I'm not familiar with a Forenza stock intake system.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I thought the rubber hose was part of the intake.. i cant tell at my car cuz there is no remains :roll:

Someone write up a how-to make a CAI so i can do that.. since there are none out on the market.. cuz i need one anyways.. plus the dealer cant get my car in till tomorrow night.. and i need to work tomorrow
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

What Nick was saying is... remove that remaining rubber part from the throttle body, and attach the intake to the throttle body with a Clamp.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

If something was going to happen it would have already happened, so no worries at least at this point. My friend has a Chevy S-10 on which he built a ghetto-ass intake system out of PVC pipes, only problem is, the tubes were too narrow for the filter and he screwed the clamp on the filter until he thought is was holding, the filter slipped and he was driving without it for a couple months. Car is fine, sprayed some carb cleaner in there and good as new.

Since it was an engine bay break, not too much moisture and dust could have gotten into the car. If it had, it would have seized already.

My recommendations, until you can get a new stock or aftermarket intake, get a pod filter and attach it directly to your throttle body, leave the sensors attached, but somewhere in the engine bay. The car will be loud and you will lose power, but better safe then sorry.

Good luck.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I need someone to do a write up on how to build an good intake and ill just do that.. since there isnt anything on the market.. i would like to do that tonight.

How would a pod directly to the throttle body lose power?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well the tubing is part of the intake but we all thought you meant the actual throttle body or the intake manifold was cracked. just buy a really small dome shaped filter and see if it'll fit directly on there with the hood closed. that'll give you a temperary fix. or you can always buy that dryer hose looking deal from autozone and put a cone filter on that but i know that its not gonna be too good for performance wise.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

I need someone to do a write up on how to build an good intake and ill just do that.. since there isnt anything on the market.. i would like to do that tonight.

How would a pod directly to the throttle body lose power
the pod would be sucking in really hot air since it'll be so close to the engine is why it would lose power.

now as for the CAI. do you know how to weld really good and have the piping for the CAI?

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

oh.. its just the intake.. but still same problems can happen if dust gets there.

How can i build maybe like a ram air intake going right to the headlight? where is the piping available? do i just want to run it right from the throttle body?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well with your car i'm not sure since the T/B is facing upward. your best bet might be like what i did and just find a car with the same type of setup and buy they're SRI(short ram intake) and just fit it on there.

nick

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

lanos2001 wrote:

How would a pod directly to the throttle body lose power
the pod would be sucking in really hot air since it'll be so close to the engine is why it would lose power.

now as for the CAI. do you know how to weld really good and have the piping for the CAI?
I dont know how to weld... but someone at my dads place knows how to.... no piping though but then again he doesnt speak good english so thats not a good idea
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

what kind of car has the throttle body up like that?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i'll look it up but does your intake go to the passenger side on the left or to the right on the driver side? i'm pretty sure it'll be to the left but wanna make sure.

nick

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:what kind of car has the throttle body up like that?
Ford Contour 4 cyl... go on eBay and search for intake kits, you will get millions of results, and just look a pictures till you find a matching one. That's what I did with my Lanos. Also if the pipe comes up a bit longer you can always cut it or something. Better than starting from scratch.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:i'll look it up but does your intake go to the passenger side on the left or to the right on the driver side? i'm pretty sure it'll be to the left but wanna make sure.

nick
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

there it is.. thanks alot guys for all of your help
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport