Gas octane number and government rip off

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Gas octane number and government rip off

Post by MMamdouh »

Hi guys

Just to make sure of what I concluded, I want your opinion on this issue.

some 5 months ago the gas stations we have here announced that they have Octane 92, we only had Octane 80, 90 and 95 priced at 0.90, 1.00 and 1.75 LE per liter respectively (1 USD = 5.90 LE) the Octane 92 was priced at 1.40 LE per liter.

the guys at the gas station told me that the 92 octane is better for my car ('99 Lanos with 1.5 SOHC) and it will make it perform better so I gave it a try for about a month I was filling my car with this 92 and I noticed no difference in performance whatsoever.

I posted a question about that on the daewootech yahoo group and they told me that higher octane is not for extra performance; it is just for higher compression engines as the higher octane number has less tendency for detonation.

According to this info I was just using much expensive fuel for no good reason as I got no extra performance from the 92 and it exhausted me financially. The car was doing very good with the 90 and I had no complaints at all.

Also I noticed that this 92 is the same color as the 90 (both are light green)... gas is colorless by default and gas companies add color to differentiate between them so it is not logical to have both in the same color.

anyways just 3 weeks ago octane 90 began to disappear form particular gas stations and that made people angry... the government said that 90 is available everywhere but I have seen that this is a big lie.

Now some gas stations have only 92 octane and you can distinguish them easily as they are totally empty... no one uses that expensive gas. Also I see loads of gas advertisement in the newspapers (first time to see those in my life) for this new octane and they all emphasize on extra performance.

I am beginning to think that the 92 we have is just 90 sold at higher price in a preliminary step to raise prices of gas but the government was skeptical about the reaction of people if they just came one day saying the gas price is 1.40 LE.

so in order to get some feedback on people's reaction towards this they came out with this ridicules trick by introducing the high priced 92 for a while then slowly withdrawing the 90 of the market so that we get fooled by that. Well...we are not that stupid and our reaction is a middle finger in the face of the government... that?s for sure.

I just want a confirmation from you on some points to make sure that my idea is correct:

1- Higher octane will not add to performance whatsoever, it just prevents detonation for high compression engines... right?? (So I should just use the lowest octane suitable for the car or else I will be wasting my money)

2- Different octane gas are color tuned so the 90 and 92 should have different colors... right?

3- From what I displayed here... this is a ridicules government scam...right?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

wow ive never heard of octane lower than 87... you guys have 80?! and you dont even need 90 you probably just need 87

1) Yeah i think thats right... I put higher octane in every once in awhile just for the hell of it... i dont really know why.

2) I didnt know they had different colors?!

3) What else is new?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Hey well at least you dont live in the US. We get screwed by OPEC and the Oil companies in this country every day. Try paying $2.20 a gallon for 87 octane (by the way the highest octane we can get at a normal gas station is 92 for $2.40 a gallon).

Just out of curiosity....We have been studing the middle east in my AP Government class. I have a few questions for you since you live there and you views mean 100x more then a stupid text book.
1. How do you fell about the US involvement in Isreal and Iraq.
2. How do you view the US
3. What kind of government does egypt have in your opinion
4. What do you feel should be done about Isreal.
5. How do you feel about terrorism.

I have a ton more questions but here are just a few. You dont have to answer them if you dont want to. I just want some first hand information. Im sick of getting info from the media and text books. Its spun up to much for me.

Thanks

Alex
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

asam wrote:Hey well at least you dont live in the US. We get screwed by OPEC and the Oil companies in this country every day. Try paying $2.20 a gallon for 87 octane (by the way the highest octane we can get at a normal gas station is 92 for $2.40 a gallon).

Just out of curiosity....We have been studing the middle east in my AP Government class. I have a few questions for you since you live there and you views mean 100x more then a stupid text book.

I have a ton more questions but here are just a few. You dont have to answer them if you dont want to. I just want some first hand information. Im sick of getting info from the media and text books. Its spun up to much for me.

Thanks

Alex
Theres a few select stations that have racing fuel... i think thats 100octane

Also if your running nitrous oxide you want a higher ocaten
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

asam wrote:Hey well at least you dont live in the US. We get screwed by OPEC and the Oil companies in this country every day. Try paying $2.20 a gallon for 87 octane (by the way the highest octane we can get at a normal gas station is 92 for $2.40 a gallon).

Thanks

Alex
1-as for the involvement in Israel: I think the USA is too biased to the Israeli side, Israel is occupying Palestinian land and I don't see how different it is from the Iraq invasion on Kuwait.

USA kicked the Iraq forces out of Kuwait but they did nothing to the Palestinians... OK they - USA - have been into summits, conferences and all but that doesn't lead to any thing...does it?? Also when Bush says that Israel is a friendly country that pisses us off and I am not talking about my self or Egyptians... this goes in the Middle East region a well.

As for Iraq: I say this is totally out of proportion... Bush said "Saddam is a threat; he has nuclear powers and biological shit and all". UN inspectors have been their and found nothing at all nor did the forces that are roaming the country so the main reason for invading Iraq is not really their. I say it is a scam for just tarring the country down.

And with Saddam currently in custody I see no reason for US forces to be in Iraq... I say: mission accomplished guys, get your great and head back home.

don't get me wrong, I don't favor Saddam either... he is a stupid MOFO that wasted his countries resources on a meaningless 8 year war with Iran then with Kuwait and ended up hiding in a shit hole, in part I am happy that his time is over but what about the Iraq people?? They still suffer and US did nothing helpful so far... you got what you came for, let Iraq handle their business from their.

2- How do I view the US...you mean as in the government or people??

As for the government: you saw what I think, concerning the Israeli and Iraq issues.

In general I like to see countries favoring freedom and democracy but I see that is biased when it comes to Israel and Iraq.

For Egypt: we have no problems whatsoever... Bush himself said that Egypt is one of the US's greatest allies in the Middle East and he got that right. It is just for the Israeli/Iraq thing that is irritating us every now and then.

As for people: I have loads of American friends...OK most of them are online buddies but still they are friends. We have some US technicians in our company every once in a while and we treat them very nicely and we are still having good relations with them till now. I see no reason for that relation to be anything other than very good indeed.

3- What government?? Supposedly a democratic government but that is not the case on practical grounds. Men of power can do whatever they like in the country as long as they don't upset other men of higher power.

the government is full of corruption, the conditions of people is getting worse but the day, legal system is not that efficient, medical care is a joke, whenever the government needs funding it just raise the price of whatever service it see fit regardless of the people's ability to pay and yet you never know where that money goes... you only see the Mercedes Benz of the ministers are getting newer and newer.

One day I came across an article saying: "a decision was made to ban the import of pesticides that cause cancer" WTF?? So it was allowed to import that shit and use it all over the country?? also you work your ass off to get a 500,000 LE loan from a bank and they flood you with required guarantees and legal work and then you see in the news "John Doe fled out of the country with 100 million pounds"... you get the point??

Law is enforced on weak people, if you got power you can bend or even break the law and since money=power then men of money can do that too.

4- Israel should return all the land it occupied back to its rightful owners... it is as simple as that.

5-Terrorism?? The worst thing that ever happened to man kind, what could be worst than innocent people getting killed for no reason?? We suffered from that for some time and it is bad as hell.

Also the major downfall of this issue is that terrorism is being held guilty of terrorism so that makes me mad as hell... we have been attacked by terrorism yet we are being accused for being terrorists!

I think people are more aware now that terrorism got nothing to do with Islam in anyway and they are smart enough to know what is real and what is a pure scam.

That?s the answer to your questions man... if you got more I am happy to answer them.

MMamdouh
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Thanks for all the information. I agree with all of it. The media kind of blinds us here. Were made to believe that all muslims are terrorists and all that kind of crap. I heard the best analogy the other day...Extremist is to islam as kkk is to christianity. Its the few that make the name for all and I think the US needs to relize that.

Thank you again,

Alex
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am glad i could help man... and whenever you have questions, i am here to answer.

MMamdouh
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

mmamdouh wrote:i am glad i could help man... and whenever you have questions, i am here to answer.

MMamdouh
I have a friend who just moved here from Egypt... i think he's close to 30-40 but his name is Atif.

We talked for about 5 hours one day on this topic...

we came to the conclusion...

"Peace in the middle east? Just cut Isreal in half..... half to the palistinians, half to the jews and alot of problems would be solved."
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

If only it was just that easy. I think they need to share the land in peace.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

asam wrote:If only it was just that easy. I think they need to share the land in peace.
how can the palestineans share what:
1) was taken from them and given away
2) by the US...

By golly i wonder why they hate us.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.