stock mufflers

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BCC423

stock mufflers

Post by BCC423 »

are the stock mufflers on a 99 lanos 1.6 straight thru design, i want to know b/c im thinking of removing one and putting a high flow in place of the other to get a little extra power, but if they are straight through ill just leave them be, thanks, btw, who has heard a lanos with the flowmaster 60 series import muffler?
silver 99 lanos hatchback
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Straight Through? I don't think any stock muffler is straight through because they need to keep the noise down.

Lanos 1.6 basic exhaust system goes: Exhaust Manifold, First Cat, Pipe, Second Cat, Pipe, Resonator (sort of a first muffler), Pipe, Muffler, Tip.

If you get an exhaust shop to custom make you an exhaust system from the Second Cat back and if you put on the aftermarket muffler, you will feel an increase as the stock exhaust system is rather restrictive.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what about removing the CAT?? i have a 1.5 SOHC with only one CAT (the big one under the car) and i was thinking of removing it... will that make the engine breath better??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yeah it'll breathe better but it'll be illegal as well. well i know it is in the US not sure about egypt but pretty sure it is there too.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no it isn't... the smog test we have here is a joke, my car can pass that test without the CAT.

well... practically if we had a real smog test like other countries then we will have to give away some 80% of our cars as they will not pass the test. it is a poor country and most cars are some 20 or 30 years old.

some times the test person ignors testing the car and gives it PASS just because he knows it got an OEM CAT.

MMamdouh
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well then aren't you lucky. :shock: well if thats the case cut that baby right off and go with a straight pipe. that will give you a couple of extra ponies.

nick

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

There is no smog testing where I live, either, but I think they may look under the car to see if the cat is in place and may fail the car if it is not there.

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am replacing my mid exhaust box already and the good news is their is a replacment OEM exhaust box with an elongated pipe at the front that would replace the CAT and bolt right into the OEM exhaust parts.:idea:

it is a direct swap that is supposed to take a 15 min. work :wink:

MMamdouh
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yeah in oklahoma there is no smog test or any vehicle inspection but if you get caught with something like the cat not on there it would be a huge fine. i mean like $500-$1000 depending on the pig.
are the stock mufflers on a 99 lanos 1.6 straight thru design, i want to know b/c im thinking of removing one and putting a high flow in place of the other to get a little extra power, but if they are straight through ill just leave them be, thanks, btw, who has heard a lanos with the flowmaster 60 series import muffler?
now i have a flowmaster exaust. not sure exactly what kind but it sounds awesome without a tip. wish i new how to make a video of it. wait my brother has a digi camcorder so i'll have to see if he'll let me use it.

nick

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:There is no smog testing where I live, either, but I think they may look under the car to see if the cat is in place and may fail the car if it is not there.

Cliff
Our cars have 2 cats when most cars have only 1 cat. So even if you remove 1 cat, they will still see that you have a cat and might not even know that you took one out...
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

In CA they would probably inpound your car for a month which would end up costing about 10k.. CA is really strict about any of that stuff
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

kinkyllama wrote:In CA they would probably inpound your car for a month which would end up costing about 10k.. CA is really strict about any of that stuff
Then it is a good thing I live 3,000 miles (4800km) east of California, then, isn't it? :) LOL

I'm still thinking about changing the muffler to something less restrictive to get better gas milage; I have to fill the car every other day because of how much I drive (that explains the 3,000mile oil change every 2 weeks! LOL).
Over $2 a gallon is not nice on the bank account.

Cliff
stric_09

Post by stric_09 »

hey got a question will removing your cats fuck up the backpressure and make the check engine light come on or fuck up your gas mileage alot
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

stric_09 wrote:hey got a question will removing your cats fuck up the backpressure and make the check engine light come on or fuck up your gas mileage alot
Well if ya remove the one after the exhaust manifold it will throw a Check Engine Light (CEL). However there are ways around that by moving the O2 sensor back.

I ran mine without cats and then put them back on and noticed no difference. So it really doesn't help any to remove them.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

yup here in cali it is 2% or less is the legal amount for any car that is newer than 1975.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE