Results of the choco chip

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

eljunito
Expert

Results of the choco chip

Post by eljunito »

People

Yesterday I installed the choco chip to my Lanos. There was not difference. With the Scan Tool at work I verified the temperature of the Air Intake. Normally the Daewoo works at 56 degree and with the choco chip, the temperature only went down to 43. :x

There was not much difference on the temp so there was not difference on the fule. On the past I bought the resistance at EBay and the temp went down to 13 degrees. With this chip, the fule increased. :o

I'm gonna try to find the chip at EBay again (I lost it) since this one didn't worked.

I verify everything I do to my car with the Scan Tool. 8)
flat6

Re: Results of the choco chip

Post by flat6 »

eljunito wrote:People

Yesterday I installed the choco chip to my Lanos. There was not difference. With the Scan Tool at work I verified the temperature of the Air Intake. Normally the Daewoo works at 56 degree and with the choco chip, the temperature only went down to 43. :x

There was not much difference on the temp so there was not difference on the fule. On the past I bought the resistance at EBay and the temp went down to 13 degrees. With this chip, the fule increased. :o
Does increased intake temp increase fuel consumption?
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

Sadly, whoever wants to make a car go fast, must accept that there will always be fuel comsumption. :twisted:

Yes, in other words, by lowering the temperature, the fuel comsumption increases.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I have the choco chip and the power gain is awesome. It is really noticable... although if I take it out now and go back to stock, I wouldn't really notice anything. But when I first installed it, it was pretty noticable and the fuel consumption went up quite a bit.
rusty2k
Expert

junito

Post by rusty2k »

donde comprastes los focos pa tu daewoo yo soy de cayey tambien :D
norman
Junior

Post by norman »

moin,

only to cheat the ECU about the airtemp will not bring power!!!! if the air is cold, the air/fuel mixture have a higher fuelpart. if the air is warm, but the ECU don?t know it, the engine run fat -> no good burning -> less engine power.

tschau norman
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

I think this mod will work for people that live in relatively cold places... in here where it can reach some 40C at summer mornings; I think the chip will cause the engine to run a really rich mixture that will ruin its performance big time so as the gas mileage.

just as norman said, the engine will be sucking really hot and thin air with little oxygen in it while the ECU think it is really cold because of the chip so it will dump more fuel even though their isn't enough oxygen to burn it.

Some people might argue that the O2 sensor will tell the ECU that the mixture is rich and accordingly the ECU will adjust the mixture but I am not sure if this is the case here.

anyways I hate messing up with the sensors in pursuit of mods... if you want the engine to think it is getting cold air... give it cold air, get a CAI.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

The O2 is always the same, no matter if it's in the morning or in the afternoon. It changes where the altitude is above the ocean level. You lose 12HP for every thousand feets of altitude. The only cars that does not suffer from this are the TURBOS.

The chip tells the ECU that the car is cold and mantains the injectors open for a little more time in order for the O2 sensor to work as if the car was turn on during the morning. If you increase the amount of fuel and more air, you will earn HP. It's like when installing a KN filter to a stock car when you will feel a good difference. With the chip, the sensors will never indicate whenever that the mixture is rich, because the ECU will always tell that the car is cold.

8)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you missed one important point here... the O2 is the same in the morning and evening indeed (some 21% of air is O2 or so) but remember... the more hot the air gets it expands, the engine can only suck a certain volume of air.

Practically when it is hot, the engine sucks less air and accordingly less O2... the O2 percent in air is still in the same ratio but the engine can't suck that much air because the air expanded.

Its a two way game here so when it is cold the engine can suck more air (air contracts in cold weather) thus their is more O2 to use.

Actually if the air temperature has no effect on the engine performance it would be ridicules to have an air intake temp. sensor to start with not to mention that using a CAI will be useless as far as COLD is concerned.

Also the altitude thing... two weeks ago their was the rally of Mexico and it is held at some high altitude and the technical directors of the teams said that this will affect their cars; it will make them lose some 20% power or so.

A WRC car is a 2.0 16 valves turbo equipped car and still it suffers from the altitude so I don't think turboed cars can survive altitude without being affected.

MMamdouh
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

Half of what you are saying, it's what I tried to explain before but you are forgetting that although the aire expands like you said, remember that you have 4 pistons absorbing and when the TB opens, they suck everything like a vaccum, so I doubt that the engine will suck less air when it's hot.

8)
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

eljunito wrote:Half of what you are saying, it's what I tried to explain before but you are forgetting that although the aire expands like you said, remember that you have 4 pistons absorbing and when the TB opens, they suck everything like a vaccum, so I doubt that the engine will suck less air when it's hot.

8)
it's all about the density of the air. Colder air is more dense thus has more O2. Warmer air is less dense thus less O2. That's all he was saying.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

daewooluvr wrote:
eljunito wrote:Half of what you are saying, it's what I tried to explain before but you are forgetting that although the aire expands like you said, remember that you have 4 pistons absorbing and when the TB opens, they suck everything like a vaccum, so I doubt that the engine will suck less air when it's hot.

8)
it's all about the density of the air. Colder air is more dense thus has more O2. Warmer air is less dense thus less O2. That's all he was saying.
Right on target.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

try to imagine the air is composed of marbles and the engine is sucking them thought the intake... 21% of those marbles are oxygen marbles and at 10C the engine can suck up to 1000 marbles in one cycle. Assume that every marble is an oxygen molecule.

now if the temp goes up to say 40C the air will expand thus your marbles (air molecules) are getting bigger till they turned out to be tennis balls, now your engine can suck up to the size of 1000 marbles per cycle... that will equal to some 200 tennis balls per cycle.

with a little calculation we can see that instead of sucking 210 marbles of oxygen at 10C the engine can only suck 42 tennis balls per cycle... the engine sucked the same SIZE of air (the volume of 1000 marbles = the volume of 200 tennis balls) but less oxygen molecules (42 compared to 210).

The point you are missing here is the air expansion... the air only gets bigger in volume whereas the engine can take a fixed volume of it so expanded air contains less ingredients for a given fixed volume. :idea:

I hope you get this by now... I have tried my best to explain it.

MMamdouh
DAELANOS

Post by DAELANOS »

What protocol of the scan tool is the lanos using? I want to buy one.
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

It's easy to find theory on the Internet.

From what you are trying to explained, if there is no O2, the fuel will not burn at all.

Ok, in theory please explain to me: After eight months of buying my Lanos, I installed a sensor that lowered to 13 degrees and only had the second catalytic empty. All the exhaust system was stock and an universal intake. One Saturday, a year ago, I was driving thru the highway and there appears another Lanos at my side. By hearing the car I notices it was a 1.6 and like we say on PR, it was "asesina". We lower to 2nd and took off, he went by like a car, changed to 3rd and we were almost parallel. He won the race by forcing the 3rd. By that time, I thought on not forcing my car thinking I could brake the clutch, but now I can do it.

If the O2 didn't help me, with all the fuel my car had, please explain why there wasn't too much distance. Not everything is theory.

I have a partner that when he started working with his car (CRX '91 1.6 SOHC) by soothing the engine. Everybody told him that he was crazy. By theory he was eliminating the torque. He continued with his project and came the day to take out the car and when they noticed that the car was failing from 1000 to 3000, people was saying that his inventions damaged the engine but when he push the fuel till the end with 9000 rpm :shock: , everybody was astonished. They took the car to a speedway. Time: 13.8 (1/4 fuel only) :shock: Not everything is theory. Theory is good to amaze people. I believed in theory the first 6 months of studying mechanic. Today, I don't believe in it.

Please don't misunderstand my words. I'm just trying to present my opinion.

8)