help! painting dash!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

help! painting dash!

Post by kinkyllama »

Well im using krylon fusion. First off how do you take off the silver panels in the forenza? Ill probably do this before i get any replys but oh well.

Should i just spray on a few coats or what? will it be ruff ?

any one do this and can tell me any problems they had or what they did?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

. . . i dont know how the hell to get the panels off... they look like they dont come off.. except the middle one around the AC and headunit
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOUR CAR MAN, BUT MY LANOS IS BEING QUITE THE BRAT WHEN TRYING TO REMOVE THE DASH TO REPAINT IT. I have been using the krylon enamel paint, but so far I am not happy with the results of it. The best way to get a long lasting paint job is to prime your surface and then blast it with 2-3 coats and then put an acrylic coating over it as if there is any wear and tear it will be on the acrylic coating and not the actual paint itself. Good Luck!

ps I was thinking of just leaving all of the panneling off and having a paint shop spray them when I get my new hood painted.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Whats the enamel paint made for? the fusions made for plastics and stuff and i have heard alot of good things about it. . .
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

krylon is good stuff but still put a couple of coats of primer so it has something to stick to better. it just makes it easier to deal with. and if you want very good looking paint job make sure to wet sand it with some very fine sand paper after every coat of paint. it might take longer since you have to let it dry but in the long run it'll be well worth it. i did my back seat panels and my trunk but didn't do that so it came out good looking at first then just went to crap. i haven't done anything to it since to them.

oh and to make things easier if you already haven't gotten it get the gun handle for spray cans. keeps your fingers from cramping up.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

i FIGURED THE ENAMEL WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER BUT i GUESS i WAS WRONG AND BOUGHT IT INSTEAD, i FIGURED IT WOULD HAVE HAD A BETTER RESISTANCE TO WEAR AND TEAR.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Well i couldnt get the panels off so i just taped them all up.. it woulda been 10x easyier but oh well.

One problem though i think the sand paper is going to be to harsh on the paint :cry: Its was the least harsh sandpaper they had to... but we'll see
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well if its like i don't know lets say a high number uummm.....3000 grit it should be fine just make sure to WET sand it. i'm not sure if thats a actual grit number or not but it should be really smooth to the touch. try it on a spot not that noticable or something else laying around thats almost the same material. but it should work.

nick

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't know about you guys but i already did that on my Lanos.

you know the Lanos II (AKA Lanos sport) came with silver dash and i was going crazy that i don't have it.

one day i decided to give it a go and spray paint the damn dash and it ended up very nice.

i got into a Lanos II (sport) and saw which parts are in silver and which is blac then i got myself some soft sand paper, silver spray and duct tape and took off the whole dash and started working.

i took off all the A/C control knobs, A/C vents, clock,A/C and hazard switches to make it clear for the paint job... the A/C control cluster was the hardest and most tricky.

first i sand papered the surfaces that are going to be sprayed, the black dash i have got this sort of rough finish that would look bad if painted as it is so i did a lot of sanding till my hands were killing me.

then i masked every space that was not going to be painted as i hate the looks of spray stains on parts that are not supposed to be painted.

i then sprayed every thing like 2 coats or so and left it to dry then the masking tape was taken off... it was really nice.

reinstallation of all that was a bitch :evil: it took me so long to put every thing back on and i broke 2 A/C control clips in the process and i had to take the A/C panel twice after reinstallation... one for a light bulb that was not working and the second for a problem with the blower knob.

anyways after the installation was over and done with it looked very cool and tidy... some of my friends didn't notice that i sprayed the dash, they thought it is the OEM silver dash :twisted:

i also sprayed the oval trim arround the door handles to match the dash and it is quite nice too... i am really happy with the job i did 8)

if you are intrested i can take pics of my dash after the work to see how it ended up.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I am going to take out the entire dash as I want to add in some blue lights into the vent shafts so when the lights are on at night they shive blue from the vents, I think that would look really cool as well. Do you have a suggestion on what type of paint to use?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i loved the sport dash too so i did it the easy way. :twisted: swapped it out from someone that wanted to paint their's so i gave them mine and took his brushed aluminum one. didn't get the a/c control part though but oh well. took a couple of clips too off of his that i broke off of mine. :roll:

nick

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Well i got one panel done.. looks nice and went smooth.. ill post pictures tomorrow or tonight.. im not finishing it though till tomorrow. I recommend the kyrlon fusion though.. make sure to get primer.. made it much easyier
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Nurse Wratchet

Post by Nurse Wratchet »

First off how do you take off the silver panels in the forenza? Ill probably do this before i get any replys but oh well. trying to take those panels

I have an '05 Forenza and i'm just trying to change the freakin stock cd player to my pioneer. and i cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to get it off. How did you get yours off? Are the AC controllers removable? I know in somecars, they have screws behing them.... I'm afraid to break it though. I've been driving around with my whole center panel n airvents and crap sticking 2 inches out haha
Size DOES Matter In my Engine that is ;)
Nurse Wratchet

Post by Nurse Wratchet »

i can't believe i managed to mess that up.... ^^ i quoted what I said instead of what kinkyllama said in the beginnins threads. Just swap the two paragraphs haha if anyone can understand that..

Can you tell I'm blonde? only thing missing is the whiteout on the monitor... :roll:
Size DOES Matter In my Engine that is ;)
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Well i did get them off... actually i never painted the front silver part cuz its too much of a pain in the ass. I only painted to sides and i taped it all off first.

The front is removable but i knows its a BIG pain in the ass. I havnt looked at it much for for the AC controls i think there are some kind of clips or something along those lines. Im not sure how to remove the AC vents though.

For the side front silver panel on the drivers side theres like two screws on the top and at least one on the bottom that needs to be removed but thats as far as i know just by glancing at it.

After you get them off please let me know what all was involved cuz i still want to paint the front :roll: Pictures are always good too! :wink:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport