Aveo pulling left and right

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Brian5475E
Expert

Aveo pulling left and right

Post by Brian5475E »

I need help. My aveo under accel. tends to pull either left or right, then when I shift it will jerk the wheel the other way. any idea what might cause this. the engine moubts seem to be intact. the engine isn't drooping or anything. are the engine mounts weak on daewoos. is there anyway of strenthing them. maybe a urethene motor mount. maybe the lanos mount would fit. same engine(basiclly) i figure same mount
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

here's just the obvious. Tire pressure and alignment. If both are in check, I don't know what to tell you.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Happens to me as well, something that has to do with pozy (posy?) traction.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Posi.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Check the steering damper.

Sometimes, even from new, a part may be defective.

Cliff
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Service manual for Lanos with lead/pull. Should be similar with Aveo.

Check:
Mismatched or uneven tires.
Broken/Sagging spring.
Radial tire lateral force???
Front wheel alignment.
Off center steering gear
Front brake dragging.

The manual doesn't say anything about wheel jerk when shifting.
assa

Post by assa »

I have the same problem. The car is nervous when accelerating. Geometry of suspension was already checked and is correct, tire preasure is correct, etc, etc... And it is still nervous. I was said, it is the question of driveshafts. I mean this shafts which transfers the power from gearbox to wheels. If there is a difference in lenght of driveshafts between left and right side, the car will pull to the left or right when accelerating. I was said, Volvo 850 was the only car of its time, which has driveshafts exactly the same lenght on left and right side and thjere was no pulling effect when acceleration at all.
Take care
Janek
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

I experienced that too on my Lanos... uneven length of drive shafts causes this.

the "pulling under acceleration" phenomena happens because the longer shaft gets torsioned by the torque more than the short one thus consuming some of the power that was supposed to go to the wheel... that will cause uneven torque delivery to the wheels (the shorter shaft delivers more than the long one) and the wheel with the shorter shaft will go faster than the other one causing the car to pull towards the slower wheel (the one with the long shaft).

theoretically the drive shafts should be exactly the same length to avoid that but practically some times this is not feasible as in the case of our cars, one way to overcome that problem is to make the longer shaft thicker than the other one thus increasing its resistance to being torsioned.

I have checked the shafts on my '99 1.5 SOHC Lanos and they are not the same length and have the same thickness... pulling under acceleration is unavoidable.

P.S: try to compensate that with the steering wheel... turn a little to the left when the pulling is in action.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

well I pulled off the tranny mount it is kinda split on the top. I put a level on the engine and it dips down about 3 to 4 mm on the tranny side. I'm in the process of filling in the mount. also gonna fill in the other mount. needs stiffer mounts because the aveo mounts are very loose. I also think the brake caliper is hanging up, because it pulls to the left when I'm coasting, and when I apply the brake it pulls really hard to the left
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
assa

Post by assa »

Yeap, the clou is all Aveos and Lanos, and probably most of front wheel drive cars, more or less, will pull aside when accelerating, till we will tune it up.
Accept it or not but its true...
Take care
Janek