I need support, I own a Daewoo

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

theronnieboy

I need support, I own a Daewoo

Post by theronnieboy »

First off, I really like this site and was very surprised to find a website dedicated to a daewoo. Secondly, I was wondering why people are interested in fixing up these cars. I myself own a 00 lanos, and have had minimal problems with it. Its been a decent car, but Daewoos image is really suffering. Sometimes I am embarrassed to drive my daewoo and give people rides for fear they will get daewoo all over their hands. I have never seen a pimped out Daewoo here in the states and everyone always knocks them. Worst of all I paid 13k for my Lanos when it first came out, now I am seeing better ones than mine going for a 1000k on ebay. So my resale is horrible. I like daewoo but I am sadened by the tragedy that has happened to this car. They get really bad reviews and I personally dont think they are that bad of a car. I dont know, I want to keep it. what do you guys think?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i say keep it. like you said its a good reliable car. and you can always pimp out any kind of car just gotta have some creativity and of course money. :evil:

people always like my car but then they find out its a woo and then really like the effort i put into it. they still usually don't like daewoos still but hey we can't win them all. if you need any help you know where we are now.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Many people compliment my car, but then they ask "what car is it anyway?" and I go "It's a Daewoo!!", and they go "hahahaha" So without the badges you can be like... "it's an Opel Astra" and everyone would be like "hmmmmm..." cause no one knows what it is. But hey, you gotta represent.
Last edited by AcingTeam on Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

I tink every body hera have the same problems or ideas before know the site. I have a Nubira 99 and as most people here I love my woo and you can find everiting here.... :twisted:

-Welcome
ImageImage
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

My cars (forenza) badged as a suzuki and some kids (i'm 17) put it down and make fun of me cuz i race a suzuki but the fact is its just as good (better) than any of the other cars in its class.

Daewoos rule... they just have a bad reputation in the states... btw does anyone know why?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Mario

Post by Mario »

Daewoos rule... they just have a bad reputation in the states... btw does anyone know why?
Eh... 2 obvious reasons to me:

1. It's not american made
2. They went bankrupt 2 years ago
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Mario wrote:
Eh... 2 obvious reasons to me:

1. It's not american made
2. They went bankrupt 2 years ago
Some more reasons:

3. "Hey I have a Daewoo TV in my house... and you got a car?! hahahah"
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Everyone who has seen my Daewoos really *REALLY* likes them.
I have never once heard an unkind word about either of them.

They are reliable, not too bad on gas, confortable and are just what I was looking for when I was in the market for cars.

I've not had any problems getting any parts for my cars. When I have needed anything that I could not find myself, the people on this forum have been great help.

Just because someone does not know how good a car the Daewoo really is does not justify their inability to accept something that is different from what mass populus drives.

I, for one, like to be different; I'm not a sheep that follows the heard. That was a big factor in my choice for these great cars.

Cliff
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

Yes the resell stinks. That is due to the bad rep the company has and that exists because people basically equated their cars to being slightly better than the Yugos that were brought to the states.

A friend of mine called the other night and said she found a relatively new Lanos for under $3K and the low price scared her. I assured her that parts were still available and that the engine was common enough to be worked on at almost any import garage near her. She is still shopping but the Lanos is near the top of her list.

I picked up my Reno (a GM-DAT vehicle) because it looked good and I have seen very few on the road and I travel quite a bit. I like to be a bit different and stand out. Then again I do proclaim myself to be an individual which is frowned down upon in these days.

Rose
Light without shadow is blindness.
theronnieboy

Post by theronnieboy »

This is all great information and encouragement, thanks! I too purchased a Daewoo caz the price was right and when I drove it I fell in love with it. The suspension was nice and tight and the car handled turns really well, it was surprisingly speedy for an economy car and I also had researched the development. I found out that it had a lower form of the Porsche suspension, the design coming from (at the time) the Lexus designer, and that Mercedes had some hand in the development of the engine. So I felt like I was getting a really good deal, almost a hidden gem in a sense. I am still happy with the car, but am very unhappy with the resale value and the crappy image of the car. I looked through the album here and alot of those rides look really tight and everyone has done a superb job with the mods. Maybe I too will mod out my daewoo, since we are a unique group and stand out from the rest. I hope this forum will keep growing and the resources continue.
Ron
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

And if you need parts, we can supply virtually every single one. If we dont stock a particular one, we can always bring the part over on a special-order basis.

Post by oasisman96 »

Hey everyone! It's cool that I finally found some other Woo owners out there. For a while I thought I was the only one. I've got a million questions to ask because my friends tend to drive souped up Mustangs and they look at me like I'm driving a golf cart. One thing I should ask is what were some of the first mods you guys did? Anything that a struggling college student could afford?
2000 White Nubira SE bone stock
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

oasisman96 wrote:Hey everyone! It's cool that I finally found some other Woo owners out there. For a while I thought I was the only one. I've got a million questions to ask because my friends tend to drive souped up Mustangs and they look at me like I'm driving a golf cart. One thing I should ask is what were some of the first mods you guys did? Anything that a struggling college student could afford?
I would change the timing belt/tensioner as a mod #1. They are prone to break in 80,000 - 100,000 km range, and the repair is very costly.
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

oasis
the first thing to do would be to take out your intake resinator from inside your fender. it is very restrictive. and if you have like say$60 at the least buy yourself a cone filter and the intake tubing from autozone thats made for a civic. all you have to do is cut off like four inches or so and it'll fit perfectly. ( the AIT sensor hole might need to be drilled out to make it bigger) next would be a cat-back exaust from like a local muffler shop. just buy any kind of muffler and have them replace the tubing from the catalytic converter to a bigger size. i went with 2 1/4 inch piping some people have done like 2 inch piping. whatever meets your fancy. but that can run you like a couple of hundred or less and thats if you don't shop around. you can buy a muffler for cheap on ebay and then just pay like a hundred for the piping and the labor. hope this helps out for starters.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

When I bought my Lanos I was broke. New @ $14,000 w/Automatic, ABS, VGIS, Airbags, CD Player, Alloys, 6.0% financing in 1998, and it was gas efficient. I got the car simply because the price was right. Not the looks, not the service, didn't have a clue about the heritage, thought it was an offshoot of Toyota. The car gave me a lot of shit for the first few years. Fuel pump, alternator, rotors, pads, noisy belts, over and over again etc. I hated it with such a passion that I have film of us going on a road trip and me full on kicking the car, I couldn't stand it. Keep in mind it was a delivery car in Florida driven under the harshest conditions possible. Then, I got a new car when I actually got stable with money and I began driving my Daewoo like a normal car.

Not a major problem since. Car runs strong, looks good, and I have learned to love it, and would have an honestly hard time parting with it.

Everyone hates my car, rips on it, puts it down, calls it a "vacuum cleaner", I have not met a single person who has said "Nice Daewoo". But...I don't care, let them talk. If what they said actually had any meaning, I would have gotten rid of this car long ago. But it is still with me, and again, I'll be hard pressed to see it go.

Honestly, with a little maintinence, such as with any car, a Daewoo is hard to beat. Strong engines, good transmissions, fair quality, make it a car I could honestly recommend.